Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I know shifting into 2nd gear on our bikes is noisy, but should it really be so noisy? Whenever I shift from 1st into 2nd I cringe even before I hear the noise, I can't help but think that I'm doing some sort of damage to the gearbox. At low revs it sometimes is quiet and sometimes it makes a noisy clunk (which is bad enough). But at high revs it occasionaly makes a slight grating sound before going into gear. Is this normal? Or is my gear changing technique incorrect? I never had any problems on my 250. When changing gears I don't go completely off the throttle, I just back it off a bit, pull the clutch lever and stick it into the next gear and then ease off the clutch while opening the throttle up more. Is that right? This is what I do when I'm speeding on the roads. Is the grating sound normal? I don't get it in any other gears.
I might have to start getting it into 2nd at a low rpm before speeding off, just to avoid the grating. But then the accelerations no fun.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what I know there is nothing wrong with your tecnique or your bike. I think that the noise in the gearbox from 1st to 2nd gear comes with the Yamaha engine. My 03 R6 does the same and so is my old Yamaha Virago 250cc. So my opinion is don't worry about it. Nothing is going to happen to the gearbox. You must get used to it.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I only noticed this after I changed my oil.

I am using Castrol Actevo 10-40.

Does everyone have this same problem or did this thread just die.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have an '04 R6 and the clunk from 1st to 2nd is prominent, but I've never noticed a "grating" sound. Don't worry about the clunk. I've noticed it on every bike I've owned (to lesser or greater degrees).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts