Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how often should i be checking my oil on my new 07 r6s? im spoiled by sight glasses and the dipstick seems like a pita. the manual says to check oil level before every ride but i cant imagine you guys doing that. also, im just curious about how much oil is left in the bike when the low oil level light comes on and is it still safe to ride for a few miles until oil can be topped off. thanks :cheers

·
Registered
458 Posts
I check it every cpl days..I'm pretty sure its like cars if the oil light comes on your gonna want to stop (we call it the idiot light).. somebody correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks man. im really intrested to find out how much oil is still in the bike when the low oil comes on and if its safe to ride it a few miles until it can be topped off. of course:D i dont plan on ever riding my bike with low oil but just in case it would be cool to know im not huring my motor. anyone? thanks :cheers

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
No, I wouldn't ride with the oil light on. It will never come on if you maintain the bike at all. If it does come on while you're riding, its got a 99% chance that you're leaking it somewhere and soon everything will be gone. You need to stop immediately and figure out why the light came on. It seriously takes about 30 seconds to check the dipstick for oil once a month, if you're to lazy to do that... well....

·
Registered
324 Posts
I agree with Agent if your oil light comes on something is most likely wrong and would not be a good idea to keep riding even it is enough oil to run the motor it might not last long enough why risk it. I check mine every 2-3 days.
Just stay up on maint. and you shouldn't ever have to deal with it

1 - 6 of 6 Posts