Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been searching for awhile now for decent brand and price for 1 pc leathers. I found some older model ones from like 2002 and up, almost looks like some newer ones just with different designs, found great reviews on them too. Pretty much, the ones I found have been sitting in a closets for years without use. They look new.

My question, in order to pass tech, do they go by a cut off year? Do they look at the tags?

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Down here in Texas, they don't even check the suits. To be sure, you should contact your track day riding school to get a definite answer as each school may vary.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,448 Posts
Same here with the checking, in that they don't check. Heck when I go to pass tech, I ride my bike there in tshirt, shorts, and flip flops. :laugh

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
NESBA makes you bring all your gear - helmet, boots, gloves, suit etc.

The condition is more important than the age.

·
Red Rocket
588 Posts
I've only ever seen one track with any gear age requirements, NOLA IIRC, and it was only for the helmet, which said within 5 years I believe.

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting(scratching chin)....I was thinking it was like when I go drag racing with a car and they check my racing belt harnesses. I have to get them re-inspected from the manufacturer after like 5-10 years(I forgot) from the date it shows on the belts...They pretty much, look for tears, etc and slap on a new patch with a new date and ship them back.

It's pretty nice to know it's easier for tracking a bike :)

So what if the suit has repairs on it, big or small leather patches?

·
Banned
1,451 Posts
Interesting(scratching chin)....I was thinking it was like when I go drag racing with a car and they check my racing belt harnesses. I have to get them re-inspected from the manufacturer after like 5-10 years(I forgot) from the date it shows on the belts...They pretty much, look for tears, etc and slap on a new patch with a new date and ship them back.

My suit is about as shitty as they get, with multiple repairs. The only time I've ever had a problem is when I had a sizable (you could fit a fist through it) hole in my forearm.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts

I have never had a suit checked at tech...or helmet or back protector for that matter. In fact I have see suits duct taped back together after a crash and still make it out. :laugh. I would not be worried.

Where are you riding?

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
I don't think it matters much on how old your leathers are. As long as there are not any big holes you'll be fine. When I go through tech they always look for holes and then pat your back to make sure you're wearing a protector.

The suit rentals at the track I go to look pretty retro, like something donated from Michael Jacksons leather suit collection :hehe

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The only time I've had a suit checked while riding on tracks around here is with STAR school. And like everyone has said - as long as you don't have open tears or holes, it'll be fine. Age doesn't matter. The responsibility of being safe on track is very heavily on YOU.

You have any track days lined up? If you ever need a buddy to pit with, hit me up.

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I have never had a suit checked at tech...or helmet or back protector for that matter. In fact I have see suits duct taped back together after a crash and still make it out. :laugh. I would not be worried.

Where are you riding?
Alright cool! Glad to to hear from everybody. Thank you guys!!

I would be riding Willow Springs. First timer here, and hopefully get in on some summer sessions this year. Just in need of a good suit and can't afford anything new.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Alright cool! Glad to to hear from everybody. Thank you guys!!

I would be riding Willow Springs. First timer here, and hopefully get in on some summer sessions this year. Just in need of a good suit and can't afford anything new.
Probably too short of a notice, since you're still suit shopping and all, but I'll be up there on Memorial Day at the big track.

If you can, it'd probably be better to run Streets your first time out there anyway.

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The only time I've had a suit checked while riding on tracks around here is with STAR school. And like everyone has said - as long as you don't have open tears or holes, it'll be fine. Age doesn't matter. The responsibility of being safe on track is very heavily on YOU.

You have any track days lined up? If you ever need a buddy to pit with, hit me up.
Hopefully during the summer or sooner. Yeah, that would be cool to have a pit buddy as I probably wouldn't know what the heck I'm doing:rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
Same here with the checking, in that they don't check. Heck when I go to pass tech, I ride my bike there in tshirt, shorts, and flip flops. :laugh
when i go to tech im in pajama pants, t shirt, and running shoes or slippers what ever happens to be in my truck :laugh. oh and i bring my helmet so they can tech that and put the stickers they need on it.

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Probably too short of a notice, since you're still suit shopping and all, but I'll be up there on Memorial Day at the big track.

If you can, it'd probably be better to run Streets your first time out there anyway.
I just need a suit and a back protector, got all the rest of my gear. That would be awesome if I could make it by the end of the month. We'll see.....When you say streets, you mean ride to the track?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
There's two track at Willow Springs -

"The Big Track" - 2.5 miles, 9 turns, very high speed and going fast there comes down to having big balls.

Streets of Willow - 1.8 miles, 16 turns?, much slower & more technical

Your first time out, Streets will probably be a lot more fun, and give you an opportunity to learn more. I really like the big track, but if it's your first time out there, you're probably going to end up barely getting your bike leaned over. Takes a little while to work up to going "Oh ... I can go 120mph, flat-out through that turn??" :) Still, it's the track, it's fun in pretty much all circumstances.

·
Carpe Diem
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
There's two track at Willow Springs -

"The Big Track" - 2.5 miles, 9 turns, very high speed and going fast there comes down to having big balls.

Streets of Willow - 1.8 miles, 16 turns?, much slower & more technical

Your first time out, Streets will probably be a lot more fun, and give you an opportunity to learn more. I really like the big track, but if it's your first time out there, you're probably going to end up barely getting your bike leaned over. Takes a little while to work up to going "Oh ... I can go 120mph, flat-out through that turn??" :) Still, it's the track, it's fun in pretty much all circumstances.
Never knew that about Willow. See how much of a newbie I am? Haha....A tracks a track though. It would be nice to not worry about gravel and surprises of cars and bicyclist around corners :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts