Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planing on building a 2008 r6 for the track only. so now im trying to fingure out what to buy for it. i got a good amount of money to spend on it so i can buy some things for the bike. so can you guys help me and tell me how i should build the forks. im about 160lbs so i dont think i need new springs. is it worth gettin ohlins catrigies in them?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
very simple....ohlins R&T cartridges...and if you can, get the ohlins ttx shock. I think Graves is selling it right now for $1000 even. My buddy has the R&T cartridges for his 07 600rr and they made a night and day difference...but then, for $1600 the fricken better...

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
if this is your first bike you are taking to the track, its alreasdy very well prepped. i suggest putting the money into track days until you are fast enough to benefit from such awesome mods. the stock suspension will do you wonders for quite a long time, especially at your weight.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it is my first bike for the track. but every weekend up to a few months ago before my accident i rode in the montains and the canyons. n i felt that i was pretty fast. always able to keep up with everyone, if n e thing everyone else had a hard time keeping up with me. i dont know how differnt the track is, but im super smooth on the turns on the road. im planing on doing 1-2 track days a months. and i plan on not spending money on power adders so that i can spend it mostly on suspenion.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The thing I learned on my first track experience was how 'effin slow I was!! It's a humbling experience, to say the least. Just take it easy and dont ride above your head, else you'll have a spare parts bike...

Suspension and seat time should be the two main investements at this point in your journey. Perhaps a gym membership too

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i know how important seat time is on the track and i dont plan on riding too hard my first time out. i plan on doing a class the first time in. but ive heard that aftermarket suspension feels really good and since i got enuff money to spend on these things id like to up grade while i can. i was in a bike accendent and got enuff money to put together a bike ive always wanted. (not a shit load of money but enuff for a new bike and a few mods)
i guess the answer im really looking for is, are ohlins catriges worth it? i found them for $1,300

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
they are completely worth it when you can actually use it

you can get DAMN fast on stock suspension. if you really want to buy it, go for it, but you are going to beneifit 100x more by spending the money on track/seat time.

ohlin's suspension will not make you fast. it will make you faster when you get fast, but it takes mroe than a track day and a track school to get fast.

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
in fact

if you go out to a track day with full ohlin's suspension on an r6 people will know you spent the money to get it, and thus think you are a bad ass for having it.

then they will see you in the C group and wonder why you spent the money on that ohlins and are still in the C group. same thing will happen in B group. until you are top of the A group its really not neccessary. believe me, its much cooler when you can pass guys on built liter bikes on a stock bike. its even cooler when you can do it on an SV650.

like i said, ohlins will not make you faster, and in fact as such a new track rider its not going to do ANYTHINg for you as far as speed or skill goes. no offense, but you are asking people who have been there and done that and not taking their advice.

i did the same thing when i started to track my car (before i started riding), and bought tons'f of power mods and was getting passed by miata's. why? because i wanted to go fast fast fast, and spent it on my car rather than the seat/track time.

now, if i was you i would still want the suspension, but i would do it a different way. i would spend the money on track time, 1300 dollars can get you about 3-4 track days. you're going to learn a lot more in those 3 or 4 track days than you will with ohlin's suspension in 1 or 2 days. in fact, you will learn just the same amount if you had ohlin's or not.

so i would use the money to get seat time (and tires) and just sit back and wait and look for deals on ohlins suspension. every so often you will see a rear shock pop up used for about 600-700 dollars. just keep an eye out while still getting the seat time is the best way to go about it if you ask me.

i spent my money on track days to get the skill to be able to benefit from my ohlins, i eventually found a rear shock for 400 bucks. yes it does make a difference, but my buddy on a stock r6 is doing the exact same lap time's as me.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
those are good ideas. i tottaly understand about seat time on the track to b able to be fast. i do plan on doing alot of track days. im hopin to take 1 oe 2 track class even before doing track days alone with in a month. i was in a bad accendent a few months ago when some dumb ass bitch pulled out right in front of me. so im kinds giving up riding on the streets for a while (i dont know how long it will last but well see) so im going to try to kill the urge of riding on the street by going to the track 1-2 times a month. thats y im doing a track only bike and plan on doing it ALOT.

from what you said that i dont really need the suspenion done untill i advance into a high group is diffently a great idea. i will forsure do that!

so since you guys talked me out of spending $2,500 what am i going to do now with money thats burning a hole in my pocket. AND DONT TELL ME TO SPEND IT ON TRACK DAYS! becuase i all ready have the price of track days and classes in my budget.

im for sure gettin bodyworks and exhuast system, front pads and lines. should i get a damper? rear sets prolly?

·
I like blue
52 Posts
those are good ideas. i tottaly understand about seat time on the track to b able to be fast. i do plan on doing alot of track days. im hopin to take 1 oe 2 track class even before doing track days alone with in a month. i was in a bad accendent a few months ago when some dumb ass bitch pulled out right in front of me. so im kinds giving up riding on the streets for a while (i dont know how long it will last but well see) so im going to try to kill the urge of riding on the street by going to the track 1-2 times a month. thats y im doing a track only bike and plan on doing it ALOT.

from what you said that i dont really need the suspenion done untill i advance into a high group is diffently a great idea. i will forsure do that!

so since you guys talked me out of spending $2,500 what am i going to do now with money thats burning a hole in my pocket. AND DONT TELL ME TO SPEND IT ON TRACK DAYS! becuase i all ready have the price of track days and classes in my budget.

im for sure gettin bodyworks and exhuast system, front pads and lines. should i get a damper? rear sets prolly?

I am sure tires are going to eat some of that $2,500 too...

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
yup

save the money for tires. tires are roughly 400 dollars a set. you'll get about 3 to 5 days on them. (don't forget about heat cycles, a race DOT can only withstand 12 heat cycles before going to shit. one heat cycle is one session if you aren't using tire warmers). if you do an average of 4 days to a set, that's 400 dollars extra you'll need every other month. so consider that into your budget as well.

(and repairs, but we all hope that doesn't happen)

a simple lowside can cost you 2 grand EASILY.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
I fully agree with the above statements. Seat time is so so so huge. I thought I was a bad ass mofo, smoking all my friends on the canyons...then I went to the track and got vapored by some dude looking like santa claus on a fricken sv650 and I was on an 08 r6 with good tires... Trust me, you will see much of the same. By the end of my second day, i was near the top of the B group, not getting passed anymore by anyone other than instructors.

That said, if you go out to the track with $2500 suspension and are a basic B/C group schmeezer...you will get clowned, even if its not to your face. Earn respect on stock stuff and you will learn a lot. My bike's suspension stock is better than my skill by far.

So what should you do with that $2500....

I would get the following in this order, assuming you are getting tires and bodywork already:

Scotts stabilizer (you have to drill the frame on the new bikes, but it is the best

Better brake rotors like galfer waves or CTS Moto (shameless plug for my friend's shop here in Sacramento)

Forged aluminum, magnesium, or carbon wheels (probably my most favorite mod to my Kawi 636, very noticeable difference...and straight pimp style)

that should cover your cash

·
Custom User Title
1,824 Posts
i agree with the scotts damper, its by far the best one.

not the brake rotor thing though, i don't think he'll need that, or even the wheels. the brakes already out perform us mortals by quite a bit. stainless lines and new pads, are a definite yes though. but rotors, they aren't going to help his braking ability THAT much.

and as far as wheels go. yes, they are AWESOME to have. they do make a difference. but you have to remember, even ben and eric bostrom use stock 08 r6 and 08r1 wheels. they don't have aftermarket wheels on their race bikes. Why not you ask? beacuse you don't need them :p if those guys are winning their classes with stock wheels, i odn't think i'll ever NEED them, but yes i do want them :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanx for all the info. ill take everything in. i got more question about pretty much everything. but im not goin to ask it here on this part of the fourm (i wanna keep everthing in the right catagory) so hopefully when i got more questions you guys are reading and helping the answers. im thinking about using tire warmers so that my tires will last longer. not the first track day, but prolly after 3, once i get more filmilar with how to use them.

well from what i learnd here im going to wait on building my suspension till im fast enuff to use it.

by the way i plan on signing up for the keith code school. from what i heard it should be good and all those differnt kinda bikes u can ride in the class seems like it will teach me alot.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts