Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

I bought this Alpinestars Carver 1 piece. SIZE 48.
I am 5'7" (175cm), 148lb (67kg).
I purchased as the 'sizing charts' says but i think it's quite tight for me.
Standing straight is okay but when I posed for riding a bike, the chest is too tight to breath and around neck part is choking me.
When you see my pictures, it seems fine. Will it loosen up the more I wear it?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,459 Posts
It MAY loosen up slightly but it is likely that it is too small. It should be comfortable when in the riding position.

Where did you order it from? Most of the better retailers will allow you to exchange for a different size.

Back and chest protectors are also a great idea. Keep that in mind when sizing out the suit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it's not comfortable in the riding position exchange it for a new one. Most tracks require back protectors and if it's tight now imagine trying to zip it up with a back protector.

Alpinestars sizing for everything is weird. I wear a size 12 shoe and every other brand fits my foot in a 12 but not Alpinestars I wear a size 10 in their boots.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Their sizing has gone to shit since they sent all their manufacturing offshore. I have two pairs of boots, 45 and 46. The 45 is almost too big, and the 46 is tight as shit. I also have a couple pairs of their gloves ranging from xl to xxxl. I wear a stretched out 44/54 suit and it is damn tight, go try on a brand new 46/56 (different model) and I'm swimming in it, go try on a 44/54 and I can barely zip up the thing with a back protector.

I'm guessing that is a 38/48? Just off the top of my head I would have gone at least one size bigger 40/50 for someone your weight/height. For a reference, I'm 6ft 190 and I squeeze into a well worn and stretched out 44/54.

And yes, check your measurements with a back protector on. Suits tend to loosen up over time, but if you are getting choked now and can't breath, that isn't good. Only problem is that when you step up a size, the suit will get wider and longer. Might be too big in one direction. You look like a skinny ****, so I'd recommend trying on some Dainese suits.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Try sitting on the bike in various riding positions. New suits are always tight so expect some resistance to certain movements. Also, post a picture of the back stretch panels to see how much they are deployed too. Overall, the suit doesnt look like it is too tight. It also looks like you are standing straight up and not hunched over like a race fit would.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Try running a few miles, the suit will either stretch or you'll lose weight, jk.

In all seriousness, the suit won't stretch that much because you likely won't be wearing it that much. Track sessions are usually 20 min and then u will probably unzip the top half until your next session, so the suit won't have much time to stretch. Consider exchanging it for the larger size and then having it tailored to fit in the areas that are too big (length and legs most likely).

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
Try running a few miles, the suit will either stretch or you'll lose weight, jk.

In all seriousness, the suit won't stretch that much because you likely won't be wearing it that much. Track sessions are usually 20 min and then u will probably unzip the top half until your next session, so the suit won't have much time to stretch. Consider exchanging it for the larger size and then having it tailored to fit in the areas that are too big (length and legs most likely).
Um what? you are stoned if you think a suit wont stretch. I had to sleep & wear my newest suit about 3 days before it finally broke in. Thats with putting lanolin on it too.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Their sizing has gone to shit since they sent all their manufacturing offshore. I have two pairs of boots, 45 and 46. The 45 is almost too big, and the 46 is tight as shit. I also have a couple pairs of their gloves ranging from xl to xxxl. I wear a stretched out 44/54 suit and it is damn tight, go try on a brand new 46/56 (different model) and I'm swimming in it, go try on a 44/54 and I can barely zip up the thing with a back protector.

I'm guessing that is a 38/48? Just off the top of my head I would have gone at least one size bigger 40/50 for someone your weight/height. For a reference, I'm 6ft 190 and I squeeze into a well worn and stretched out 44/54.

And yes, check your measurements with a back protector on. Suits tend to loosen up over time, but if you are getting choked now and can't breath, that isn't good. Only problem is that when you step up a size, the suit will get wider and longer. Might be too big in one direction. You look like a skinny ****, so I'd recommend trying on some Dainese suits.
THIS!

at your height and weight I would go with a RS-tai chi 40/42 or Dianese.
I will never wear an Astar suit again The last one I had was so tight in the thigh area it was almost impossible to stick a knee out. :nono

·
Make good choices.
2,808 Posts
I only wear my one piece suit on track (no street time). I estimate I've worn my current suit about 2,195 minutes (36.5 hours). So you're saying that's not enough time for it to stretch out and break in?

·
Vendor
3,956 Posts
We can't tell how it fits from pics of you standing. It's going to feel tight and awkward in some places and loose in others while standing because they weren't made for that. These suits are cut for the riding position. How does it look and feel while you are on the bike?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
First of all, thank you for all your advice and information. I really appreciate that. Yesterday I rode a bike with this suit for about 20 mins. I feel better than the very first time with it. But I still feel the choking me near my neck area. I think my problem is that my trunk of body(from thigh to shoulder) is too long than normal. Anyway I can squeeze my body into this suit somehow and ride it after all. But the thing is the pain distracts me while I am riding my bike. I can't stop thinking of this being uncomfortable.
I cant return it though since I wore it and even took the tags off.
Need to manage this issue and hope I can break in soon.

check my other pics below. The space for arm and thigh etc are okay.

·
track junkie
2,257 Posts
sounds way too small to me. send it back. remember, you should have enough room to fit a back protector in there as well. and, i'm not talking about that shitty foam thing that comes in some leathers...

s3aturnr

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
That's an exceptionally clean parking garage.
My first thought too. :lmao

But yes, you shouldn't feel choked. At all. That ain't good. If you can't exchange it, you're going to have to lose some $ and sell it, and buy the next size up...or get a custom made suit.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Or maybe you could loose some weight you chunky basterd.

Seriously though Alpinestars sizing is ****ed. I wear a size 12 boot in every other brand but a* I wear a 10. Gloves are all over the place from L-xxxl. Out of all the suits/boots/gloves I tried on the only brand that I found that fits perfect in every aspect is sedici. Idk why but it's the only brand that fits perfect in boots gloves and suit. I'm going custom suit soon so I won't have those worries anymore. For the price you paid for that a custom piece would cost around the same.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Is that a size 38/48 EU/US?

Cause damn you're skinny. I'm in a 44/54. I'm way too fat man. It sucks. Cause I can't stop eating cupcakes and little Debbie's snacks. Its my new addiction. :laugh

If you can't return it, get it soaking wet and then go ride till it dries up. Keep it in a cool place so it doesn't shrink. It'll fit perfect. That looks like a really good fit honestly.

:YEA

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I wore a suit that was one size too small for me for a long time. Suits break in a bit, but it's not going to be the same as going up a size.

I'm a tall, lanky dude with a long torso, and the suit I had fit around the waist and shoulders, etc., but it was basically compressing my spine because it wasn't long enough from waist to shoulders. I could never straighten out my back while I was on the bike. One day on the way back from the canyons my back was killing me, and I decided to suck it up and get a new suit. It made a huge, immediate difference. It was so much more comfortable to be on the bike.

Do what you need to do to get a suit that fits right. Of all the shit you have to worry about while riding, having your suit be uncomfortable shouldn't be one of them.

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
I wore a suit that was one size too small for me for a long time. Suits break in a bit, but it's not going to be the same as going up a size.

I'm a tall, lanky dude with a long torso, and the suit I had fit around the waist and shoulders, etc., but it was basically compressing my spine because it wasn't long enough from waist to shoulders. I could never straighten out my back while I was on the bike. One day on the way back from the canyons my back was killing me, and I decided to suck it up and get a new suit. It made a huge, immediate difference. It was so much more comfortable to be on the bike.

Do what you need to do to get a suit that fits right. Of all the shit you have to worry about while riding, having your suit be uncomfortable shouldn't be one of them.
I started 2012 in a size 40 which fit around but was too short and you had to do everything hunched over otherwise you were stretching the stomach. It got slightly better but I jumped to a 42 which have had no problems in and it's been thoroughly crash tested. :fact

1 - 20 of 22 Posts