Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For some reason, the first thing i notice when I look at the 3rd gen R6's is that shiny silver pipe that leads from the radiator to the thermostat on the left side. Anyway, I decided to use a high heat black engine paint to make it practically disappear. It cost me about $6 total and turned out perfectly. Check it out...

Before:

I honestly don't know if draining of the coolant is necessary, but I wasn't taking any chances of antifreeze pouring all over my new shiny bike :D. i was also adding water wetter anyway...

Remove radiator cap:

Unscrew drain bolt:

Yamaha already marked exactly where the hoses are positioned. If this isn't already done, do eeett with a sharpie.

Loosen pipe clamps and remove:

I taped the two edges for a few reasons. 1 - it was something to hold on to when I spray it. 2 - bending in the corners don't allow paint inside the pipe. 3 - i wasn't sure if the slightly textured paint would allow for the best seal.

Taping the edges (note there is a tiny bit of extra room before the hose marks):

Sandblasting the pipe. A medium grade sandpaper or scotch brite pad would also work just fine:

I used Duplicolor's high heat engine paint. They have an engine enamel but it supposedly has a shiny finish. I wanted the duller, higher heat paint so that it matched the frame better and so I definitely didn't have any problems with the temperature of the pipe.

First coat:

3rd coat:

Remove the tape and bake for 2 hours at 300 degrees (this part is a little stinky. it's better to do this by a vent with a fan):

Finished:

Reinstall on the bike:

Make sure u replace the drain bolt and pour your coolant back into the radiator. You might need to fill it up, run the engine, then refill. Replace all your fairings and VIOLA! ur done!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Pretty cool. Although I have no problem with stock.

·
Registered
482 Posts
thought about doing that, just dont feel like breaking it down

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guyz! i'm really happy with the results...

Nice write up and great job. I will use this writ up to drain my my coolant and change it to something later on when it gets hotter here in cali. Thanks
Just remember, I didn't completely drain and flush the system. I just drained out enough coolant so that the pipe I was replacing didn't have anything in it. you're also gonna need to remove the radiator hose, the reservoir, and flush the system with water first. the manual is very helpful with this. you should have no problems at all...

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Nice. Has this helped with heat coming off the pipe? It hasn't really gotten hot enough here to matter, but on those hot days, the air coming off of that thing and onto your leg can be a scorcher. I was thinking of wrapping some black exhaust wrap around mine, but i dunno. This is definitely something I'll be doing though. Great write-up.

·
Who eats a motorcycle?
3,096 Posts
nice write up and you defiantly took your time to do it the right way. You know what you, need? a hobby! haha
no seriously, I wish I had the parience to do things like that!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Only problem i saw was you didn't use a Zink Cromate before the High Temp Enamal. More then likley that Paint will fall off. That tubing is aluminum, so...good luck. Looks nice. I did my Chain Addjusters in black w/ red markers. I didnt use the ZC and it just came off after a few weeks.

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
Good write up. I have been thinking of doing this for a while. Curious. Is baking it after you paint absolutly ness. Does it make a difference?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wow! it looks amazing! I think I might want to do that now! do you know if that paint comes in a red color?

·
Registered
94 Posts
yeah it comes in any color. Just make sure to get the right primer (Zink Cromate) since ints aliuminum. The ZC is about 12$ for the can. About doubble what the red spraypaint is lol. but you do need it, and do not have to bake it. Make sure to let it dry and cure of the day. The baking makes it go faster but isn't nessasry. You want the paint to de gas.

Just remember guys, you need ZINK CROMATE on aluminum before you can spray paint it.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
thanks for the compliments!

Nice. Has this helped with heat coming off the pipe? It hasn't really gotten hot enough here to matter, but on those hot days, the air coming off of that thing and onto your leg can be a scorcher. I was thinking of wrapping some black exhaust wrap around mine, but i dunno. This is definitely something I'll be doing though. Great write-up.
there is definitely less heat coming from the pipe but there's still a big hot engine under your legs so it doesn't really make a difference when ur on the bike.

nice write up and you defiantly took your time to do it the right way. You know what you, need? a hobby! haha
no seriously, I wish I had the parience to do things like that!
when ur at work, u find time to do eeeeverything but what ur supposed to be doing. :D

nice write up!!! i don't have a 3rd gen. but i'd like to buy one.
i couldn't be happier. jumped from a 2000 to an '08.

Only problem i saw was you didn't use a Zink Cromate before the High Temp Enamal. More then likley that Paint will fall off. That tubing is aluminum, so...good luck. Looks nice. I did my Chain Addjusters in black w/ red markers. I didnt use the ZC and it just came off after a few weeks.
From my understanding, the zinc chromate is only used as an anti-corrosive agent and not an adhesion promoter. being that the pipe is aluminum, it's not something i was worried about. also, through cycles of wet and dry conditions when the zinc chromate is "activated" and "deactivated", it eventually wears off anyway. i also used the high heat paint and not the engine enamel. i'm going to email the company and see what they have to say just to clear things up. thanks for the heads up!

Good write up. I have been thinking of doing this for a while. Curious. Is baking it after you paint absolutly ness. Does it make a difference?
i think it's just to burn off any extra resins. it was recommended on the can, so i just did it...

Wow! it looks amazing! I think I might want to do that now! do you know if that paint comes in a red color?
black, red, orange, alum, white, and blue. enjoy...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yeah I was under the impression ALL spray paint to Aluminum needed Zink Cromate to stick.

I did my Rear Chain Adjusters and the paint flakes off and stays soft. I bought the ZC and it looks great and the paint has not come off.

I will try your mod after track day. Get back about the ZC, im really curious about that!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used the dupli-color engine paint on my exhaust and it's staying on fine for now

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok crusin (and everyone else). i finally got in touch with duplicolor and they said that as long as u sand the surface and bake it, you should be in good shape. the guy i talked to didn't seem to be any sort of paint expert, but i'm sure as a tech for the company, he would know about alternative ways to accomplish the best results (like using zinc chromate). feel free to look into it further bc i wouldn't say i'm 100% satisfied yet. sofar so good tho! gl everyone!

·
Registered
376 Posts
omg...i believe someone has too much time on their hands! that must take some serious patience

1 - 20 of 33 Posts