Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so shifting gears on my friend's YZF 600R was pretty easy, but with my new 6 (bought 1 month ago) and all that added power I'm finding it a little more difficult to accelerate and transition gears smoothly.

Under normal riding conditions, I tend to shift at about 5 - 6,000 RPMs.

Also, I don't think I ever learned how to properly downshift either.

Any tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Well, I run her up to 15k rpm and cut the gas just a bit and stomp the lever. Gives me nice, positive upshifts.

Downshifts; I get on the brakes, pause, and then pull in the clutch and jam the shifter up. I feather the clutch instead of blipping the throttle so I can maintain more consistant braking.

Of course I am running GP shifting on my racebike. :mrgreen:

What YOU should do?

Upshifting; First of all, you are shifting WAY too early. You want to be at about 10k rpm, put some slight pressure on the shift lever, simultaneously roll-off the throttle and pull in the clutch. Give the shift lever a good SOLID tug. Roll on the throttle smoothly as you release the clutch, eventually you will get a good feel for when the clutch dis-engages.

For down-shifting; You want to pull in the clutch lever and give the shifter a good stomp. Blip (roll on) the throttle as you feather the clutch lever. IF you are doing it right, the revs will match and you will have a nice smooth downshift.

Both of these take time to figure it out perfectly when getting on a new bike.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I upshift pretty quick, so I don't really know what rpm I'm at. It's usually just one quick motion: clutch, shift, release clutch. I'm not really sure how I do it, but it's pretty smooth so that I don't feel any jerks. Someone else could probably explain the upshift better.

As for downshifts, though, you should try "blipping" the throttle. Right when you pull the clutch in, rev the throttle - shift - and release the clutch all in one continous motion. This rev of the throttle while you shift is called "blipping." The reason you do this so that your rpm level won't be jerking back and forth from the higher gear to the lower. For example, if you're riding at 8,000 rpm's and you have to downshift, you'll pull in the clutch and the rpm's will drop to 0. If you just shift and release the clutch without blipping the throttle, you'll feel the bike jerk down to the lower gear as the engine picks up power again. This isn't wrong, but you'll feel the bike jerk, and some say it'll wear out your clutch sooner -- I'm not sure of the clutch wearing out part, though.

So if you're riding at 8,000 rpm's and you pull in the clutch, the rpm's will drop to 0. If you blip the throttle, the rpm's will go up to say 4,000 or 6,000 rpm's. You shift and release the clutch, and the engine will pick up right at the 4,000 to 6,000 mark. It won't have to pull all the way from 0 rpm's, so it'll be a much smoother transition.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
or....roughly 1500, not 0, since the motor does go to idle...but we all know what ya meant, I just wanted to be the first smart ass!

:naughty

great downshifting tricks tho! I remember the first time I jammed first gear coming off of a high second...sounded like the bike was falling apart, then the rear tire broke loose...and I thought to myself "jason, you dumbass.." I think that quite often actually...

As for upshifting, it is hard to explain when it is second nature. I get my smoothest shifts "double-shifting", not using the clutch. barely drop the RPM, shift, hit gas again, hardly any pause at all. Smooth shifting is just like a car...it takes time to learn taht "clutch-point" or the "engage-point". Once you get it tho, everything falls in place. I learned shifting on a dirtbike...which is a bit more forgiving :boob

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
aahhhh.....but it is all in fun, Ed...nothin personal!!

Today is a long day at work, I got nuttin to do except try to get my post count to 300...hahahaha

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
From what you guys have told me, it seems like it'll take some time and practice to get it just right.

Thanks for the help.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
chun, can we call you chun... it just sounds funny.. anyways...

Shifting will take you a while to get it. I still am far away from smooth shifting and I too rode dirt bikes for a few years.

The just remember to give it some [not a lot] of gas while letting the clutch out. It will stop the hard engine breaking from occuring, which is what is making the jerk.

Or you could get a slip-on to reduce the amount of back pressure which will lower the amount of engine breaking. - at least that is what I felt when I rode a bike w/ a slip-on. - Could just be me...

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i usually shift like this

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 16rpms
(quickly : clutch, click the gear up, release clutch, hit it!)
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 16rpms
(holy shit im at 100mph already! CLICK)
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
and so on and so on

:burnout

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
Ed said:
Yoda.... I get no breaks from the forum whores...
ya i gotta step in on this one, yoda aint no whore yet, aspiring slut maybe but hes workin on it.

id add some to the shiftin part of this thread but all these other people already said everything i could think of :cheers

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
very true, I don't want to be misrepresented here...sluts are FREE!! :hammer

·
Registered
836 Posts
yoda said:
great downshifting tricks tho! I remember the first time I jammed first gear coming off of a high second...sounded like the bike was falling apart, then the rear tire broke loose...and I thought to myself "jason, you dumbass.." I think that quite often actually...
Just this weekend I missed a downshift and hit neutral coming into a corner, ended up running wide off the track and lost position to a rider I had just passed.

Then I did a downshift coming into another corner, and didn't feather the clutch OR blip and my back tire started skipping going into the turn. :roll:

My favorite is when my brain switches back to normal shifting while on the track... great fun. :scared

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
ya i can see gettin completely used to gp shiftin a little hard. hows it going with the racin by the way rocky. u need to start a "rockyr6 race results" thread so we can see how your doing. :cheers

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you just got your bike a month ago, then the tranny is still pretty tight. It will loosen up with the miles, and you will also get more used to it.
I wouldn't recommend shifting at 10-15k under normal conditions unless you are going for some kind of world record, or just gettin' some. Try doing a 1st - 2nd gear shift, (or a 2nd-3rd) at 10-15k in a school zone, and see what happens. There is a speed limit by my place that is really low, and first gear feels too high, second feels more comfortable.
If you use the clutch on an upshift, pull it in at the same time you let off the throttle, and wait a half second (you have that brand new tranny, remember), then make a firm shift into the next gear. (first to second is almost always choppy, because you are passing neutral, same with the downshift)
When you are downshifting, do just like above, but wait a little bit longer. When you get used to it, and your tranny is broken in, you will be able to upshift with no clutch, and downshift if you really want to.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
miraclegrau said:
When you get used to it, and your tranny is broken in, you will be able to upshift with no clutch, and downshift if you really want to.
this is the best advice yet...

if you are using the clutch to shift gears (except from first to second or vice versa), then you are doing it wrong (obviously exceptins apply, but for the most part, the smoothest shifts are the ones where you dont use the clutch...better for tha bike too).

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
to clarify (before the "what the f* are you talking about" or "man you are retaahded" starts flying in)

If you are new, use the clutch. If you have been riding a while try this.

Find a long open straight road.

Launch in first, use the clutch to get yourself into second.

Get it up to about 10-12k rpms.

Put pressure on the shifter (while accelerating) up like you are about to shift (down if you have GP shifting)

Now, (while holding the pressure on the shifter) right at about 12k, chop the throttle for just-a like-a split second.

You might not even feel it, but you have just shifted into third.

Do it again and you will be in fourth.

NOW

Slow down because you will be going about 140 mph and it will have taken you like 6 seconds to get there

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
14 Posts
jasamb said:
miraclegrau said:
When you get used to it, and your tranny is broken in, you will be able to upshift with no clutch, and downshift if you really want to.
this is the best advice yet...

if you are using the clutch to shift gears (except from first to second or vice versa), then you are doing it wrong (obviously exceptins apply, but for the most part, the smoothest shifts are the ones where you dont use the clutch...better for tha bike too).
Holy Crap...never knew that. Guess you learn something new everyday. I dont think i have enough experience to be trying to shift with out the clutch.

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts