Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard conflicting stories on breaking in your bike when you buy brand new and I just wanted to see what you guys had heard. One person tells me you should take it easy for the first however-many miles so that you break the engine in and others tell me to ride it like I plan on riding it from day one or the bike will not ever want to be ridden fast. Lt me know what you guys think and have experienced. My fiance and I have 2 05's (raven and red) coming tomorrow and I am trying to break her in right... whatever that means.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I dont have any forsure answers for that..........but after the first like 50 or 60 miles i put on it (took me that many to get comfortable with it) i "drove it like i hated it".....and i jsut reached the 6000 mile marker today and still no problems.

·
Registered
373 Posts
different strokes for different folks.

i've heard all kinds of different ways. i just followed the manual and kept it under the according revs for whatever mileage. i'm at 3800mi and no problems.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I followed the manual but now at 4110 miles the bike is going because the vavle guides are leaking, but its hard to say if that can be attributed to break in procedure.

But the bike LOVES to be ridden fast. The motor pulls strong and no other problems other than once it sits for a few days it will puff out blue smoke after being started.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
both schools have some merit... however since I couldn't ride the crap out of my bike until after the 1000 mile mark I followed the book. How ever on a few staights I opened her up well before the 600 mile mark and above the 7 K limit...

If you read between the lines :twisted: it states that you should never KEEP the bike above 7K for the 1st 600 miles... so run it up and then let it come back under 7K..That's what I did.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I break mine in like described in the mototune article. But that's just me.

However, the most important part of the break in process isn't weather or not you get the rings seated..........they can be replaced whenever you want to!

The important part is keeping clean fresh oil in it while break-in! And i mean like changes at like 100miles, 500 miles, 1000miles. I even changed mine more than that i believe.

Their isn't a whole lot of metal particles being removed during break-in nowdays cause manufacturing tolerances are MUCH better, but their is still a chance. And in our motorcycles, any metal particles will travel all over the bike...gearbox, clutch, TOPEND. etc...

You see what i mean. I guess it comes to your ability, ride compfortably and safe for your limits, but keep the oil clean!!!

·
Registered
836 Posts
The key to breaking in a motorcycle engine is HEAT CYCLES.

You want to bring the engine all the way to full operating temperature, then park her and let the engine cool all the way back down to the ambient temperature.

The WORST thing is prolonged operation at any particular engine speed, of course this is assuming that you are keeping clean oil in it.

Here is how I believe in breaking in a street bike:

Assemble the bike, put in fresh dead dinosaur oil and good gas. Ride gently, up-shifting and down-shifting constantly, until the bike is all the way up to temperature. Do a couple GENTLE runs up to near redline, and then a nice gentle ride home. This should be about 20-30 miles.

Change the oil and filter, more dead dinosaurs.

Ride the bike how your normally ride, paying particular attention to being gentle while the engine is warming up. Do your best to constantly shift gears, and vary your RPM. Remember, HEAT CYCLES. Do this until the first scheduled service.

Change oil and filter, dead dino oil again.

At this point the engine and transmission should be pretty much broken in. Just ride normally until the end of the 'official' break in period.

After that I change to a semi-synthetic oil at the next service interval, and then an ester based full synthetic for each oil change after that.

Needless to say, I run the living piss out of my engine now. And I have yet to experience any problems... while I see lots of people in the pits constantly working on their bikes. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I thought ester based meant it was a semi-synthetic. Motul 5100 is an ester based blend, thats what I ran until the 4000 mile mark. Now my '04 is running pure synthetic gold, Red Cap Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
right when you get it off the lot do a burnout, the let 1/2 the air out of the back tire then put your left foot on the back passenger peg, then put it in second and clutch it up and ride a wheelie while flicking the owners manual off and the dealer that sold it to you

:fruit

1 - 10 of 10 Posts