Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if there is a how to on how to do this, but hopefully this will help some people out.

I used Kerosene, chain lube, a chain brush, an empty cup, and a trash bag. You do not need the brush but it makes it easier, and you also do not need the trash bag.

You will need to dump some of the Kerosene into the empty cup so you can dip the chain brush into it, and place the trash bug under your rear sprocket to catch any Kerosene that comes off.

Dip the brush into the Kerosene and start rotating the back wheel. (Do not attempt to start the bike and do this, it is not a good choice) Dip the brush back into the Kerosene occasionally. When you are satisfied with the chain you can grab your chain lube.

Spay the chain with lube while rotating the tire. Once you have the chain completely lubed you are done.

You chain has now been cleaned and lubed.

I also clean my wheel after I am done. Let me know if I left anything out.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Great write up. Where do you get Kerosene?

Also when i lube my chain in the past the straw would bounce around all over and id get shit everywhere. Now i put her in first gear and let the wheel rotate and then i spray. I know their might be some flaming due to this but it allows me to really spray the lube properly and cleanly instead of the straw bouncing all over due to me turning the wheel by hand. I never clean it that way though..always manually.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I picked up the Kerosene at Lowes in the paint department. I am sure that they would have it at any big name tool store though, but Lowes is right down the street. And ya I just take my time and if I get some off the chain the bag catches it lol.

O ya thanks for the compliment.

Great write up. Where do you get Kerosene?

Also when i lube my chain in the past the straw would bounce around all over and id get shit everywhere. Now i put her in first gear and let the wheel rotate and then i spray. I know their might be some flaming due to this but it allows me to really spray the lube properly and cleanly instead of the straw bouncing all over due to me turning the wheel by hand. I never clean it that way though..always manually.

·
Living between the cars
8,630 Posts
Cool...Ive been using Motul's chain cleaner but id rather not use aresol stuff. It gets everywhere. Plus better for the environment too!

Hey is that the epoxy flooring i seen on TV? shit looks good. Im gonna have to do that to my moms garage once i move all my tool crap over there.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya I believe we got that at Lowes also, its just the kit that comes in a box. It holds up great tho I drop tools on it all the time and it has not chipped. If you need any advice when you put it down let me know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
+1 on the kerosene. It's cheap and works great. I use the kerosene in a spray bottle, let it soak a little and clean off with a rag, but I've been meaning to pick up a brush.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
i got my grunge brush from Academy sporting goods store in the bicycle section, cost me like $10, well worth it

by the way it is called the grunge brush for you folks that want to look them up online

·
My R6 eats you.
7,563 Posts
Excellent write up, thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna start to do it your way from now on.
Quick question, how ofter do you all do this to your chain? I know in the manual it says to do it everytime you ride in the rain or wash the bike. Is this something to follow word for word, or can it slide for a few washes?

·
Batman wants my bike...
2,797 Posts
good reminder.

·
Do Work
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When the chain gets wet I just make sure to lube it, I clean my chain a lot tho, pretty much every time I wash my bike.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts