Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
You don't need to pull the pistons out. And if you do, they will most likely go right back in.

I just remove the pads, and allow the caliper pistons to be pushed out as u pull the brake lever. You need to put pressure on whichever pistons are coming out the most to let the rest move out too. Be sure to not let one come out entirely!!

Once they are exposed, take a small tooth brush looking wire brush and dip it in a cup of brake fluid. Then scrub the pistons clean with it. Spray brake parts cleaner on a rag to wipe the fluid off the caliper. make sure you get it all. Spraying brake parts cleaner right at the pistons can penetrate and swell or dry the piston seal in the caliper. This causes sticking and dragging of the pads.

Work your fingers into the center of the piston and press your thumb on it to spin it in the caliper to expose the unreachable areas. Once done, and they are spotless and moving freely, spray brake parts cleaner on a rag and wipe off the excess fluid from cleaning again.

This is the best way I know of to clean them.

Once you do this cleaning, there is much less dragging on the pads and rotors, and since all pistons are freely moving, you get awesome braking power and more even pad wear as well.

:cheers

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
While you're doing the brake maintenance, it wouldn't be a bad idea to clean up your rotors with a rotorhone and drill from brake tech to remove all the carbon deposits, etc. You can also clean up the mating surface on the pads too. You'll rebed them in half the time, and will now surely be getting the most from your brakes. Less dragging, more stopping force with all the pistons moving freely, etc.

Flushing the brake fluid while you're at it would be beneficial too. On my 02, I have to really keep on it with this same routine or the brakes drag so damn much it has to be worth a few MPH on the top end, :laugh

Anyway, if you need any info or supplies while trying to get this deed done, I can probably help you out on that too.

:cheers

·
pin it to win it
8,081 Posts
Hell yea :cheers

·
Banned
74 Posts
Place a caliper hose crimp on the brake hose snugly. Place a drain pan beneath the wheel and then remove the banjo bolt of the brake hose from the caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts