Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

HOW TO: Clean TPS 03-05R6 06+ R6s

127K views 129 replies 80 participants last post by  Moto-mamapanda 
#1 · (Edited)
Seems there have been a few people with TPS problems lately and I couldn't find a how to on here. I got a crazy idle today after riding and figured I would do a how to. Borrowed a camera so I could get some pics.

Tools needed:
4mm Allen(hex head)
T25 tamper proof torx bit
A flathead screwdriver
electrical contact cleaner

Time needed: about 10minutes

First, go into DIAG mode and look at your min/max values. if you don't know how to do that turn your kill switch to off, press and hold the two buttons on the cluster, turn the key to on, after a few seconds the DIAG will display and then release then hold those bottons again. d01 the first one in the list is your TPS. Write down that number then twist the throttle all the way and write that number down.

Now take your 4mm allen and remove the 3 bolts circled in red below.(right side for you people not paying attention to orientation)

This will reveal a few connectors

Disconnect the Clear/white connecter and the blue connector

This will make it easier to get to the TPS, use the T25 tamper proof torx bit to remove the two bolts holding the TPS on. Make sure not to drop them. If you do though you can use a allen head bolt from the fairings.

Then pull the TPS off, by sliding it straight towards you. Turn it around and there is an O-ring you remove. I just used my pinky to remove it. Once that is removed spray and clean it out with the electrical contact cleaner. After you spray it just use the flathead screwdriver to turn the rotor from lock to lock a few times. I repeated this process a few times.

After that is done replace the O-ring and slide the TPS back on. Loosely tighten the bolts that hold it. Go back into DIAG mode and check your values. Tilt the TPS to adjust it to get it back to your values you had before hand. Once that is done, tighten it down. Then reconnect your two connectors, and bolt down the plastic cover. That's it you're done.

See less See more
#6 ·
I am having TPS issues on my 2006 R6. I am trying to clean it to see if that will fix the issues. Problem is, I cannot locate it on my bike. I have looked EVERYWHERE online and I have seen all the R6 forums and TPS threads. I have even read this entire thread and followed it exactly, but this thread is based off of 2005 or older R6's. I CANNOT seem to find the TPS on my 2006. I have spent hours searching for it and researching online with no luck. Any help would be much appreciated!

#10 ·
just wrap it in electrical tape the best you can. or maybe not. looks kinda hard

#14 ·
Another question....I went to the automotive store in town and specifically told him I was needing to clean a TPS for a motorcycle....I had picked up a can of electric cleaner and he told me that it would harm the sensor and to use something else.....he hands me Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner.....Would like some input before I possibly go cost myself a new TPS!!!!

#15 ·
#17 ·
Actually i'm going to pick some up today and i'm hope Schucks (aka O'Reilly) has it. Says they do. I can't find anything on AutoZone so you may want to try Napa, they might have it. I know our small town Napa store has just about everything and if they don't they can by the next day. Hope that helps!

#20 ·
Hello

thx for this information. After cleaning the TPS I have still a little idle variation. The worst problem was the variation in idle and the motor goes off time to time while riding. Yesterday after a run from 300 km everything looks still fine. Coils already replaced but this was no solution. Hopely this was the cause of the problem. In diagnostic mode the TPS sensor looks good and the value was 15-16 Now I have regulate this sensor to 17 as begin value. Is this a better situation? Wait and see! Is the mixture ot not so poor? The only thing what is not standard is the Exhaust,That's a Boss.

#23 ·
I had a similar problem with my idle being sparratic. Recently it got worse, lowering to 500rmp and stalling at lights.

I followed this how-to, and noticed alot of grime where the tps mates with the engine block. After cleaning and putting back together the idle has been perfect for the past couple weeks. Thanks for the post.

#24 ·
ahh bingo this is what i need the only scareing me is what do you mean you gotta lock it and unlock it? and when i put it back on i gotta mess with the idle? or mess with the TPS? im lost ...

#25 ·
Don't worry about the wording "lock and unlock". What he means is that after spraying the contact cleaner into the TPS rotate the piece of plastic inside all the way back and forth a few times, to work the cleaner into it.

You do not have to mess with the idle. When you screw the TPS back on to the engine you will notice that TPS can rotate a bit before tightening down the screws. This is to allow the min value of the sensor to be adjusted. You want the min value (when the throttle is completely off) to be the same as before you took off the TPS. You do this by rotating the TPS before tightening the screws. Once the value is correct then tighten the screws and double check.

Does this answer your questions?

#30 ·
After cleaning the sensor the problem was solved for 2 months but then at one trip the R6 '03 was a few times shutting down while going from 3th to 2de gear or at stopping lights. For shure I've placed a new TPS sensor. We were on holliday with the bike and 2000KM without any problem. This was in the past, before cleaning the TPS, not possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.