Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 116 Posts

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
Thanks for the visuals. Wonder how much the dealer would charge though?

·
Premium Member
6,440 Posts
Note** dont overtighten the water pump drain bolt thus sheering off the aluminum bolt head in aluminum :nono
:fact now this sounds like fun.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
this helped a ton, did it in about an hour and a half. Also I believe the instructions say to leave the radiator cap on....well I would suggest taking it off while letting it drain from water pump, just from my own messing experience. Other than that perfect.

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
this helped a ton, did it in about an hour and a half. Also I believe the instructions say to leave the radiator cap on....well I would suggest taking it off while letting it drain from water pump, just from my own messing experience. Other than that perfect.
Yea i took mine off when it was cold, and had to wait until it cooled down to 130 degrees before removing it after running with just water. GREAT WRITE UP!

Only tip i'd add, is if you have time, don't pull the drain plug out all the way, let it drip for like 10 minutes, then pull it out. Helps keep it from spilling everywhere like it did to me the first time:lmao.

·
4.27sec 40yrd Dash
696 Posts
thanks

·
Registered
771 Posts
Nice write up man... I'll be doing this on my 08 R6S this season!!!

Thanx

·
keeping it on 2 wheels
221 Posts
I just did this to my bike today!! It was my first time to ever to it, so this thread helped a ton!!!!Thanks OP for all the pics and detailed instructions. It took my like 5-6 flushes to get the brown rusty water cleaned out. I guess the previous owner thought just water would be fine....The bottom of my overflow resevoir was filled with brown sludge.

My one tip would be to use a BIG shallow tub to drain in, because when you are flushing it water comes out from everywhere and can make a mess if you not careful.

·
Jesus Reigns
4,400 Posts
Just flushed mine today too! Simple to do and saves you the trouble of having it done by the dealer

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
if my coolant is just a tad low, i don't know what is in there, would I be able to just add some distilled water? or do i need to just flush the whole thing?
some distilled water would be fine. whens the last time you flushed out the coolant? I've been told once a year is a good idea. I personally don't ride hard/often so im going to do mine every other year regardless of miles ridden.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
some distilled water would be fine. whens the last time you flushed out the coolant? I've been told once a year is a good idea. I personally don't ride hard/often so im going to do mine every other year regardless of miles ridden.
Sweet. I actually might just flush it, saw a uoutube video, and it didnt seem too bad, gonna be using water wetter for the track.

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
Sweet. I actually might just flush it, saw a uoutube video, and it didnt seem too bad, gonna be using water wetter for the track.
nice, took me less than an hour to do this following the instructions on page one of this thread. I have never wrenched on a bike in my life. Im a car guy and was worried i'd screw stuff up, but its actually easier to work on than some cars. I ran a 1/2 gallon of ICE after using distilled water to flush the system. once the system was clear, a 1/2 gallon will fill my bike to about 95% full, i just topped it off with distilled water. did and oil change with yamalube semi syn, ran the bike for a few hundred miles, then took it to the track. water temps were find, outside temp was high 60's to mid 70's at the track. i checked the oil and water level after the track. Oil looked brand new, water was fine.

PS. after over 1000 miles my level of coolant dropped just slightly, i believe this would indicate that all the air is out of the system. I put just about 3-4oz of water in and shes topped off.

21 - 40 of 116 Posts