Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 116 Posts

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
So just to clarify, i nee to top off the radiator first, then fill the reservoir with new coolant after it is al flushed?
Nope, I drained it, filled her up with distilled, ran it for about 4-5 minutes, drained it again, put distilled in, rain it again 4-5 minutes, then drained it. Then filled it up the over flow then topped off the radiator. I then ran it again for 5 mins, some of the bubbles came out, the over flow level dropped just slightly, then i topped it off and its been good ever since.

make sure on the first drain, you remove the over flow, flush it out with distilled water. Mine had some gunk that built up at the bottom of it because the bike sat for 3 years. r3x1mu5 is correct.

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
Sweet, ive changed my oil, brake fluid, and rear shock and other things. But i feel like this is hard. :lmao
well quit eating paint chips and maybe it won't seem so difficult :fact. Trust me, i followed the OP's directions pretty much to a T, and when i was done i felt like it was so easy to do. I offered to do my friends 07 cbr600rr, same steps, we were done in 45 mins.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
well quit eating paint chips and maybe it won't seem so difficult :fact. Trust me, i followed the OP's directions pretty much to a T, and when i was done i felt like it was so easy to do. I offered to do my friends 07 cbr600rr,same steps, we were done in 45 mins.
I'll let you guys kmnow how it goes. :fact

Trackday in two days, so I don't wanna fail tech spec. Thanks for the help fellas. :cheers

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
I'll let you guys kmnow how it goes. :fact

Trackday in two days, so I don't wanna fail tech spec. Thanks for the help fellas. :cheers
np, thank r3x1mu5, hes the smart cookie that created the page with the write up. And i'm in love with his dark red color, i want to paint a sports car that color :fact.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
just finished! but i accidently did the opposite. :( i topped off the radiator before the overflow. it's warming up right now, not too bad. just gotta let the coolant run through then I'll top it all off again.

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
just finished! but i accidently did the opposite. :( i topped off the radiator before the overflow. it's warming up right now, not too bad. just gotta let the coolant run through then I'll top it all off again.
should be fine, just watch the over flow levels. I just peaked at mine last night, its actually down about an inch or so. Gonna throw some distilled water in there this weekend.

·
sell me a red powerband
728 Posts
Sorry to sound outrageous. Why would topping up the rad before the reservoir be a bad idea??

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
Sorry to sound outrageous. Why would topping up the rad before the reservoir be a bad idea??
easier to cause air in the system... i would assume. once the fluid is full in the engine/radiator, it then can travel over to the overflow.

·
sell me a red powerband
728 Posts
easier to cause air in the system... i would assume. once the fluid is full in the engine/radiator, it then can travel over to the overflow.
I'll just keep an eye on the levels of the overflow, I was always under the assumption that you fill the rad first, guess I was wrong.

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts
I'll just keep an eye on the levels of the overflow, I was always under the assumption that you fill the rad first, guess I was wrong.
no, your correct, rad first, then the overflow. Over time, i've notice my overflow slowly getting lower, but that just means all the air int he system is heating up, working its way into the overflow and out of the little line.

·
sell me a red powerband
728 Posts
no, your correct, rad first, then the overflow. Over time, i've notice my overflow slowly getting lower, but that just means all the air int he system is heating up, working its way into the overflow and out of the little line.
No wonder I was puzzled. Thanks a lot for the clarification :cheers

·
Nerd dick
1,081 Posts

·
Love the Gut Locker
44 Posts
I can't see the pics in the links posted for the R6R.

I Just need to know which is the drain bolt, if there is one.

I can simply pop the hose off too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im doing the coolant now on my 08r and that inlet hose is a HUGE bitch to get off and i dont think if i did get it off i could get it back on snug

Would i be alright if i just drained it and ran the bike with distilled water and flushed it once or twice

I know if i dont drain that hose theres old coolant still in the rad will running the bike with the distilled h2o take that out?

Thanks

·
Because I Can
2,325 Posts
*Tip: Do not use drinking water because it has minerals added to it for flavor. Use distilled.
I believe you meant to say the minerals are for health reasons and not flavor. Regardless though, yeah, you don't want those minerals in the radiator.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Nevermind figured it out. The radiator didnt take a full 1/2 gallon so im assuming that means air bubble. Reservoir is filled to top line so ill just ride it until the airs gone and top off the res.

This happen to anyone else?

·
Suk it, Lee
19,069 Posts
Nevermind figured it out. The radiator didnt take a full 1/2 gallon so im assuming that means air bubble. Reservoir is filled to top line so ill just ride it until the airs gone and top off the res.

This happen to anyone else?
Grab any, and all rubber rad hoses you can see on the side of the bike there, and squeeze and release it a few times, while it's running. That will get the bubbles out.

Keep doing it until it's full!

edit: with the cap off!

41 - 60 of 116 Posts