Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this DIY. I actually used it yesterday and flushed mine. Was looking like brown water with a hint of green when I drained it.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Yes. Distilled in any vehicle is a must. Tap water contains a lot of particulate and minerals that permanently coat (and insulate) the internal surfaces of your cooling system. This reduces its ability to exchange heat between the engine/coolant, coolant/heater-core, coolant/radiator. If the car will be in the crusher within the next couple of years (not reusing any parts via junkyard) then yeah, go ahead and use tap. But many cars have a second life in the junkyard. A gallon or two of distilled doesn't cost much; at the local grocery store.

Don't get drinking water, get distilled.

·
2 wheels > 4 wheels
61 Posts
Changed the coolant in my 2005 today. As per the manual, only the drain bolt needs to be removed (besides the radiator cap obviously). No mention of removing the hose.
After draining the old coolant, I put distilled water. Ran the bike for a few mins, drained. Poured distilled water for the 2nd time, ran for 10-15 mins, drained again. Filled with Zerex 50/50 antifreeze for Asian vehicles (blue). Did some research and figured that was the best for aluminum. Has the least erosion of metal in the pump due to cavitation.

Sent from a potato

101 - 116 of 116 Posts