Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to rebuild my 2005 r6 and I have found a guy with a frame. He has given me the vin number and the frame looks to be good. The problem is that it has been a track bike and there is no title with the bike. How do I figure out whether or not this frame is stollen or salvaged. Also if I do buy the frame how Do I go about getting a title and registration for it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm trying to rebuild my 2005 r6 and I have found a guy with a frame. He has given me the vin number and the frame looks to be good. The problem is that it has been a track bike and there is no title with the bike. How do I figure out whether or not this frame is stollen or salvaged. Also if I do buy the frame how Do I go about getting a title and registration for it?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
It's the same thing as buying any vehicle. The DMV always runs a check of the VIN to see if it's stolen. If it's salvaged, well that should show up on the title.

I bought my bike out of state, so I had to get it inspected first.

·
Make good choices.
2,794 Posts
Does he have the title? Is it in his name? Does it say salvaged? These answers will go a long way to figuring out this situation.

Also might help people help you to know what state you are in. Some state's DMV websites have a VIN lookup tool that will tell you the registered owner and if it has been reported stolen or totaled or whatever.

·
Make good choices.
2,794 Posts
The guy who has the frame says he has never had a title for it.
It might be stolen.

The only reason I know why it wouldn't have a title is if it was bought frame-only from the dealer. But I think they come with a blank or matching VIN and it should still have some sort of manufacturers certificate of origin? Not 100% sure on that though.
If it is was once a complete bike that was stripped down to the frame than the original title for the bike should have stayed with the frame.

And I am in Georgia. I'm just going to go up to the dmv tomorrow. Seems to be the easiest way to figure this all out.
Good idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.