Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i put my 6 down back in may. i was only doing like 25 - 30 mph so i didn't get hurt and my bike was pretty much all set except for the clip-on. so here it is october my chicken strips are like an inch or so, i've been tryin like hell to get over the feeling of going down, but every time i come to a corner i kinda freeze up and slow down, any advice or techniques would be greatly appreciated thanks, Brian

·
Registered
784 Posts
R6rider04, I went down pretty hard core in Sept of 03. Bitch pulled out in front of me, long story. Anyway, roadrashed up pretty good, broken collarbone that now has a 6" titanium plate and 8 screws, $6800 damage to my bike (ins. co. paid to fix it instead of totalling it). After the bike and I were put back together when I started riding again I couldn't even enjoy myself like I did before. It almost seemed like every cage out there was TRYING to pullout in front of me. That's when I started riding with my high beams on, invested in some really good riding gear and listened to some advice from a fellow rider. This fellow rider has been riding for 20+ years and told me that the best way he found to get over a wreck was to start with the fundamentals and work your way through them again. Sounded like stuff for a newbie to me, but I tried it. And it worked. When I first got on my bike after the wreck, I had atleast an inch of chicken strips on each side, now there is close to nothing. It just takes time in getting comfortable with the feel of your bike again. Might take a look at these two links:

http://www.motorcyclesafety.state.mn.us/pages/tips_pages/tips_cornering.html

http://www.brunch.dk/~niels/html/mc_20_highe.html

Good luck and happy riding!

·
Registered
524 Posts
1. Sorry to hear about your wreck.
2. Glad to hear you were OK.
3. I agree with cowboy. Start with the basics again and work yourself back up. I've never heard that before cowboy, but I started looking back at my wrecks. (Yes, I said wrecks. :tongue ) And I always had to regain my courage to ride again. I think the best way to regain confidence is through training and practice.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well, I wrecked my '04 R6 a month after I got it.. It is my first bike, so Im still new (only 2 months in now).. I hurt the bike a little, brake lever broke, clutch lever bent, right turn signal broke, but it was still ridable.. I went off the side of a cliff @ about 40 mph.. I just got back up on the bike and rode home.. I think its more of the type of person you are, you either have the will or you dont IMO.. Some people arent meant to ride, it definately isnt for everyone.. Just get back up and try it again.. Go find some little curvy road in a semi residential neighborhood that has small turns that sweep, and ride them @ dawn so noones there.. Get used to turning again.. Thats the way I learned..

·
Registered
836 Posts
You're in Vegas so why not do a track school over the winter?

Nothing to get your corner confidence up than to do it in a safe, controlled environment.

And it would be a great excuse to upgrade your riding gear if you don't already have track-adequite stuff.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
i think the best way to regain some confidence is a couple of budwiesers and some of your friends eggin you on......

No, seriously there is no secret potion to get over your fears if you've wrecked....either you're scared to death of goin down again and will always feel that way or you will slowly regain your confidence.....i binned it big time and was super fucked up from my wreck....the first time i got back on i wanted to be by myself so i rode for a while by myself so there was noone for me to try and keep up with....then after while i began to lean it over a bit more, then more, now I'm just as good a rider as i was before my get off, if not a better one....

TIME my friend, it just takes time....

·
Registered
67 Posts
RockyR6 said:
You're in Vegas so why not do a track school over the winter?

Nothing to get your corner confidence up than to do it in a safe, controlled environment.

And it would be a great excuse to upgrade your riding gear if you don't already have track-adequite stuff.
For 1, I dont have the money for a trackday.. To get all the equipment, Im looking @ spending about 600 dollars.. I have a Frank Thomas jacket, HJC CL-14 Fuse, and A-Stars gloves for the street, but no leathers/boots.. Just cant budget it.. Still young, and have a son 4 yrs old (im 23).. Id love to do a track day but I just cant, plus the cost of the track is 300 w/ school :(.. The wreck never phased me.. Didnt even blink, was more pissed about my bike.. Im learning to corner on the street now, going to RR, just rode the lake for the first time..

Personally, each person is different.. You just need to find what works for you to get back into it after a wreck.. For me, I want to push myself to the limits to do better, and if I crash again, so be it.. Some people arent totally opposite though.. ;/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I laid my 6 down about 2 months ago going about 25-30 when i hit some gravel. I got a little rash, but i was more worried about the bike. Only thing it needed was a clip-on and a peg, as soon as i healed up enough ( about 3 weeks) i was back on it. I hated that i couldn't ride my bike, I couldn't wait to get back on it . The only way to get over that fear of riding is just to get back on it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're like me it's taken about 1100 miles and 3 months of ownership of my '04 R6 to forget about my last crash years ago (stopped riding afterwards).

Every turn, every page read in books, every message board post gets me more confident. It'll come back. :)

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
i say dust yourself off. think hard of what happend. see where you made the mistake. hop on the bike and take it slow. everytime try to push it a notch more than the last time, if you feel confident. for me another good one is to ride with someone with the same experience and let testorone take it to the next level. it may sound stupid, but it works for me. im up there with the 750's and 900's in my crew. just take it one step at a time.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I say just go out and ride to the level that YOU enjoy. Don't worry about the strips on your tires. No one says you have to be Valentino Rossi in the corners. Have fun, and be safe! :cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hammy_The_Can_Man said:
I say just go out and ride to the level that YOU enjoy. Don't worry about the strips on your tires. No one says you have to be Valentino Rossi in the corners. Have fun, and be safe! :cheers
OUTSTANDING suggestion. That's the voice of reason talking right there. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks for all the input. before i put it down i was (what i call) a good rider. it was a stupid mistake, i was headed to work at 1:30am and there is a tight corner (90 degrees) about a 1.5 miles from my house and it was like 40-45 degrees outside so i'm assuming my tires were just not warmed up, maybe..... i had taken the corner hard many times before just not when it was that cold out or that soon after starting out........, I have been considering a track school for some time now, anyone know of one here on the east coast, i live in maine so i know there will be travel involved, thanks again.

·
Registered
524 Posts
R6rider04 said:
thanks for all the input. before i put it down i was (what i call) a good rider. it was a stupid mistake, i was headed to work at 1:30am and there is a tight corner (90 degrees) about a 1.5 miles from my house and it was like 40-45 degrees outside so i'm assuming my tires were just not warmed up, maybe..... i had taken the corner hard many times before just not when it was that cold out or that soon after starting out........, I have been considering a track school for some time now, anyone know of one here on the east coast, i live in maine so i know there will be travel involved, thanks again.
You have to be very careful when it starts getting cold. Maybe my worst crash was due to cold weather/tires. It was December, about 40 degrees out and my bike had been sitting in a parking lot for an hour. I jumped on, felt energetic and took off. I was going way over the speed limit and the light up ahead turned yellow. Even though I was going too fast, I knew I could stop before I got to that light. I'd done it hundreds of times and knew the capabilities of my bike.... in warmer weather.

Front wheel locked up and before I could could go "what the..." I was on the ground watching my pretty bike make sparks as it slid on the road in front of me.

With the winter and colder weather coming up, everyone ride slower and take it easy on those cold roads and tires!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fear is good to have, fear may be the only thing that keep all of us alive....

Learn to deal and understand the fear maybe the best way to "overcome" it. If you have no fear then you're dead, but understand the reasoning for the fear will makes you better and more responsible rider.

stan

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Fast-Turbo.com said:

Learn to deal and understand the fear maybe the best way to "overcome" it. If you have no fear then you're dead, but understand the reasoning for the fear will makes you better and more responsible rider.

stan
so so true stan...no matter how comfortable I might feel about my bike...everytime I get ready to jump on I get a little nervous...it lets me know I'm dialed in and ready to take on these crazy roads...

·
Registered
93 Posts
RSixxr said:
Fast-Turbo.com said:

stan
so so true stan...no matter how comfortable I might feel about my bike...everytime I get ready to jump on I get a little nervous...it lets me know I'm dialed in and ready to take on these crazy roads...
Sorry guys, I have to disagree. Fear is a mental disease. Understanding well the consequences of your actions and make decisions prior to your actions are essential to survival, not fear. No regret, prepare to ride as you live your life, equip yourself fully to face the unknown. If shit happened, as it will, you will be in a better position to handle it. NO fear brother, fear not only takes up so much space in our not yet fully develop brains, it causes you to make inferior choices. Fear also contaminates our other senses to live fully.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Slowestrider said:
RSixxr said:
Fast-Turbo.com said:

stan
Sorry guys, I have to disagree. Fear is a mental disease. Understanding well the consequences of your actions and make decisions prior to your actions are essential to survival, not fear. No regret, prepare to ride as you live your life, equip yourself fully to face the unknown. If shit happened, as it will, you will be in a better position to handle it. NO fear brother, fear not only takes up so much space in our not yet fully develop brains, it causes you to make inferior choices. Fear also contaminates our other senses to live fully.

thank you dr phil :cheers

·
Registered
148 Posts
i guess put it this way, after i wrecked at the gravity bowl @ TWS, i've never taken that as hard as i would like to

1 - 20 of 29 Posts