Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Touchdown!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the back of every Yamaha R6 engine (after the year 2000 we'll say for now), it has two sets of numbers etched into the casting.

One set of numbers will sit directly behind the servo valve unit and look something like:

[Letter][Number][Number][Number][Letter] - [Number][Number][Number][Number][Number][Number]

Example:

J512E - 000001

The first portion before the hyphen designates the engine code, while the last 6 after the hyphen represents the serial numbers.

The second set of numbers is hard to see if you don't have a clear view to the back of the motor. This set of numbers is shot peened into the casting and is very hard to see if the engine is dirty. I believe it's 10 numbers, and it's at about a 7 or 8 sized font. I have to reconfirm. In short, the second two numbers of this set of 10 or so numbers will tell you the engine year.

EX.

06 = 2006
07 = 2007
08 = 2008
15 = 2015

0128711904 = 2012 motor.

There you have it.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
J512E is 06-07
J516E is 08+

But either will work in all 06-16 models.
If youre racing a series that has strict equipment regs you probably want to source an engine case within your models manufactured year.
Also some builders put an identification plate nearby for engines that may have been rebuilt.

·
Touchdown!
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the pics. Most motors '06 - '15 the etching will be in this location. I think Yamaha changed the location and the coding for '16+. I haven't got around to checking.

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
For vehicles in general, I've observed that the model year will have parts from the prior 1 to 2 years. You might already be looking at car being billed as the 2022 model year even though it's still 2021 for example. (marketing)
Font Rectangle Pattern Electric blue Brand

I have an '08 R6S that was manufactured in '07 per VIN tag.

So my '08, manufactured in '07, has an '06 Engine.

=================================================================================

Not sure what the stamping off to the left of the plate is?
Looks like " J 5 E 0 / 3 ".

It appears that Yamaha introduced the 3rd-Gen R6 with the 2006 editions.
The R6S editions continue the 2006 through 2009 using 2nd-Gen R6 parts.

My '08 R6S has a " J 5 0 6 E " stamp.
Grey Rectangle Font Groundcover Headstone

It's rare that DIY shade-tree and often even mechanics, take things apart and reassemble them as the factory would've. If you see knackered wiring job from a rear mud-guard (fender) delete but everything underneath the tank looks factory in its routing and ties, you likely have an original engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts