Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any best practices, suggestions, advice.

Past experience they can share that will help future first time loaders ease their tension

thanks

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
Find a loading dock, the kind 18 wheelers back up to to unload stuff and back your truck up to it and drive/push the bike on. The local Honda shop here has a loading dock just for loading bikes. Of course both methods require two people - one for the truck and one for the bike.

That's the only way I've ever done it, but there are a lot of ramps out there you could purchase. How often will you load your bike in the truck?

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I usually grab a friend and we just pick up the bike and put it on the back of the truck. i have used a ramp a few times also. The benefit of using a ramp is you can load it alone.

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
This is how me and my friends do it. First, get one person in the truck. Second, have the other two people grab the forks or somthing on the front to lift from and set the front wheel on the tail gate of the truck. Third, have the person onthe truckhold the handelbars to keep the bike from falling over(front brake comes in handy here also). Fourth, have the 2 lifting people lift up on the swing arm to where the rear tire is as high as the front and walk the bike into the truck.

Works great, loaded a 1992 ZX7R and a 1999 ZX9R into my Dodge Ram last weekend. A bit of advice, put the heavier bike in first if carrying two bikes, it is easier to manuver a light bike than a heavy bike.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I just find a small steep hill similar to a loading dock and put it on that way.

I have even loaded it using a drainage ditch, dry drainage ditch of course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I just bought a ramp and just push it up. I like to have two people do this.
The ramp can be tough so be carfull. I also use a loading dock at school. That is very easy. Just drive it on the bed and strap it down.

·
Registered
133 Posts
okay... I've done this the hard way and the easy way...

If you have a single ramp it will require at least 2 people, One to push the bike up the ramp and a second on the bed of the truck to man the front brakes/guide the bike while you push.

The most easiest way and only requires one person regardless of your terrain and I prefer/use this method is to:

1. you will need two ramps.
2. set the ramps fairly close together
3. set the bike on one ramp
3. walk on the other ramp
4. It's easy, safe and it's a one man operations

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
I have a ramp for now, and plan to get a small ATV winch to mount in my bed...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just thought id relay the outcome of my mounting. I guess i overexamined the question to myself.

In hindsight it was probably a sillyl post for me to write but i am new at this and wanted as much info as possible. I guess the main thing is that lifting a bike on a truck isnt hard if you have 3 people doing it. Load the front wheel first, have someone in the truck stabilizing the bars and then have the other two guys pick the rear end up by the frame and walk it forward. Straight forward for the most part (which i should have known)

Main lesson i learned was that when securing the bike you need to compress the front forks/shock(?) down so that the bike isnt bouncing around everywhere.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it.

lesson 1 learned, thousands more to come!

·
I ride her hard!!!
195 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
if you do decide to go with ramps...just make sure that they're the right ones...i used some that weren't really meant for a bike and it took a nice little stripp of paint of the lower right bottom fairing.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
lvbluer6 said:
njk27 said:
I usually grab a friend and we just pick up the bike and put it on the back of the truck. i have used a ramp a few times also. The benefit of using a ramp is you can load it alone.
Did you use this method when you loaded it yourself?

http://www.r6-forum.com/nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5576&highlight=
No, When I loaded it myself I had a ramp as wide as the whole bed of the truck. I started the bike and walked next to it, and I gave it a little gas when I got to the ramp. No pushing at all, and it goes up nice and smooth.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts