Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
e best way will be adding add on radiator or change to race rad. but will changing to silicone hose reduce the temp? will removing thermostat helps too?

·
Pastor of Muppets
1,460 Posts
Is it overheating?

You shouldn't need any additional cooling. Have you flushed the system and made sure you don't have any air in it?

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
1,095 Posts
Sounds about right. I just put Engine Ice in mine. Dropped it a cpl degrees. Also, an ECU reflash can adjust the temp at which the fan comes on. Getting mine done now, and will have the fan kick on at 205.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,823 Posts
I didnt notice any change with silicone hoses. Maybe a few degrees at best. The only way to really make it run cooler is to put in a bigger radiator, which is not cheap.

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Sounds like you don't have a problem. As long as it's working properly, the stock cooling system is plenty capable of maintaining proper operating temperatures. And no, changing out hoses isn't going to do anything to effect that.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Engine Ice would be the cheapest, silicone hoses don't dissipate heat but are only a means of withstanding higher temperatures to prevent warping/melting (i.e. hoses close to the exhaust header or engine block). But it's not much of an issue for modern engine designs now-a-days.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Did change coolant to engine ice. Notice a temp drop during highway riding but when it come to track,it doesn't seems to make any effect. Maybe is becos my location is Veri hot n humid.

Reducing temp will also reduce power loss n also prolong engine life

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
check your air to fuel ratio on your fuel map. You could richen the map up a tad in some places, as that will lower temps on track a bit (may loose a tiny amount of hp).
212F on track is not horrible. It's not uncommon to see 100c (212f) while racing in the hot months here in FL.

I would leave the thermostat in. Check some obvious stuff too, like the condition of your radiator fins.
As stated above, a larger radiator is VERY expensive, and just shouldn't be needed ..

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,811 Posts
just so its not unnoticed... going from standard mixed glycol (50/50) to engine ice nets some cooling because engine ice is premixed not because its that much better of a coolant. Engine ice is still glycol based.
The trick in high humidity/temp environments is to reduce the glycol content so your radiator can shed heat effectively. I would be be paying attention to oil temps before coolant temps anyways. Thats your primary cooling fluid. :secret
Plumbing in an auxillary radiator is not too difficult. If your oil temps are sky high...youre never going to cool it down without an auxillary cooler. There is a water cooled one already... may just need to increase capacity. You can also increase the pressure of the radiator cap.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts

·
260 Posts
How much cooler is it if you remove the big resonator box right behind the oil pan? (switching to full exhaust or modified?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts