Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 6 runs on the hot side. I think that's something we all can agree on. I know mine ran hot. Notice I said "ran".

I went to Schucks yesterday and got a bottle of WaterWetter. This morning I removed the whole right side of my 6, and drained the coolant. I then replaced it with distilled water and 3 oz of WaterWetter.

Holy Ice it's running cooler. Here's a breakdown of speeds and old vs. new running temperatures.

0-20 MPH - went from 212 to 188
20-40 MPH - went from 196 to 180
40-60 - I nev er go that speed.
60 and up - went from 188 to 163.

That's right, at freeway speeds it was running at 163. It did go up to 165 when I was going up a hill, but went back down to 163 as soon as I hit the top.

Moral of the story: WaterWetter works!

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
just make sure you go back to antifreeze before it gets cold outside, otherwise you're going to have a cracked block the first time it dips below 32 this winter.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
I'm pretty sure water wetter is supposed to be mixed with the coolant, it has a ratio for the whole thing. Did you read the bottle or am I wrong?

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm pretty sure water wetter is supposed to be mixed with the coolant, it has a ratio for the whole thing. Did you read the bottle or am I wrong?
You can add it to water/coolant mix or just water.

The engine will run coolest with water/wetter mix.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
im going to be changing my coolant pretty soon. do they sell water wetter at cycle gear by any chance?
I know for a fact that the one by my house has it so they all should.

What is the outside temp where you are? I'm running Engine ice right now and it seems to be working pretty good it was 105 outside yesterday and my bike was at like 185 doing about 60-70 normally it's been about 178 with it being like 100 outside.

·
Registered
107 Posts
You got me sold. I've been lookin at different coolant types trying to figure out what would work best where I live. Hopefully I can get numbers close to yours since I only live about 45 min south. The pic with the needle in the back ground is sick too, way to hold it down for the NW.

·
Has Gold & A Pager
287 Posts
are you serious you can get wetter water at your local auto parts store. its 7 bucks a bottle. why would you order it online.
Maybe he lives by a store like I do?

·
Registered
160 Posts
just make sure you don't use it during the winter time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts