Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have to take the 6 into the shop to get new tires and a taillight put in. I currently do not have insurance, nor is she registered, so riding is out of the question.

So I will be using my neighbors Toyota Tundra. We have ramps and straps, I just need to know how to tie the bike down. Where should the straps go? What parts of the bike need to be secure? Any little advice would be nice so I don't end up totaling my baby on the way there and back.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
canyon dancers. done.

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
Hook a strap on the base of the clip on and hook it to your truck....One on each side
you can go in between the plastics to the clip on as well...

At least i did for my 01

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
hard to explain, but you can buy a tie down thing that hooks up to your handlebars. the hooks anchor on to the tie downs that go on the left and right side. once your front end is tied down, thats it!

held up while taking my bike for an 8 hour drive. :yes

·
Keep it Rubber-Side Down
272 Posts
+2 on the Canyon Dancer: http://www.canyondancer.com/
I've had my bike(s) all over the country and never had to worry about them when using the Canyon Dancers.

If you're going to have it in the back of a truck, you shouldn't need any back straps....you can if you want, but the truck will have it's own suspension and therefore the bike won't really see so much impact from the road.

Just strap the front down and you should be done with it.....unless you're planning on driving 300 miles to your destination! :)

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nope i do not have rear pegs, and im not looking to go out and buy anything for this job... just trying to go old school with the straps and strategic tie down locations

So the best bet would be to go up around the handlebars and one or two down through the back tire?

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also does anyone know if the entire bike will fit with the tailgate up, or will it have to be down?

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
Nope i do not have rear pegs, and im not looking to go out and buy anything for this job... just trying to go old school with the straps and strategic tie down locations

So the best bet would be to go up around the handlebars and one or two down through the back tire?
No need for the back tire...Front should be fine. Use a ratchet type strap and compress the front a little....Wiggle the bike back and forth to make sure its in there good

Also does anyone know if the entire bike will fit with the tailgate up, or will it have to be down?
Should be fine if the tailgate is down. Just make sure as stated above

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone :) just trying to get my baby ready for the spring

·
USC 2013 National Champs
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
www.1seven1.com
2,063 Posts
I have a Tacoma xcab and my R6 does not fit in with the gate up, unless the bike is sideways.

I do like to use a ratchet strap on the back wheel because it holds the bike solid and reduces needed pressure on the front forks. For the back, I wrap the strap around the back wheel once and attach to the hooks on either side of the bed.

+3 on the canyon dancer. I try not to compress the forks too much (only as much as needed, that's why I like the rear secured) mainly because it's easy to trash your fork seals when it's cinched down too tightly.

My 2 cents. Everyone ties a bike down differently.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
explain a little more if you dont mind????
Not sure, but if you leave the forks up it might compress with the truck moving. if they compress it'll make the tie downs lose which might make them fall off.

i usually tie it tight and let the tie down compress the forks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts