Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i race the 1/4.but i ride the street alot to i have a 06 r6 whats the best way to regear to give me a bit of a edge?

·
Registered
326 Posts
i'm +2 in the rear on my 02, dont go smaller in the front, bike rev's too quick then....the +2 in the rear will make it more "torquey"

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,936 Posts
I dissagree with awdxtcy. I am at -1 front +4 rear. I Personally like it. I have also had the -1 +2 setup on my bike. I liked that as well.
I would NOT recommend going right to -1 +4..... I did that over the course of 3 years. To start out I would try the -1 front +2 rear, and see what you think of it. A 520 conversion is always worth it to go with your regear.

Let us know what you end up doing... Good luck with it.

·
B4B
12,775 Posts
i have the 07 r6 and just dropped one tooth in the front and like it alot it pulls alot harder and doesnt rev out much faster. One thing i will say is it wheelies really bad in first gear when in the gas mainly when u hit bout 9k. Overall worth it and recommend go -1 in the front first then go from there and make sure they give u a 15 tooth for a 525 chain, i got two sprockets before they finally got me the right one and i told them it was a 525 from day one

·
Registered
19 Posts
I picked up a renthal 15 tooth for the front and can't WAIT to try it out....I hear it's a world of difference...uses stock length chain...and gives it a stealth look cause it still stock rear!

·
Registered
41 Posts
i have -1 +2 and i did 143 but started getting a wobble ( no damper) so i had to roll off..
i think -1 +2 is a must for the r6.... unless your a pure track rider.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I hope this helps everyone out. Its a chart that shows top speeds for whatever gearing you chose to use. It assumes you're running 180/55-17 rear tire, and that you have enough power to actually reach these speeds. Now, you're never going to hit 200mph on an r6 no matter what gearing you use, but this will show the gearing limitations at redline. Just find your front sprocket on the left, and your rear sprocket on the top, and where they intersect, thats your top speed at redline in 6th gear. I used the tranny ratio's off an 06 R6, so other years might be a bit different, but yamaha hasn't significantly changed internal gear ratios in a long time.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
520 is the thickness of your chain. the first number is the pitch of your chain in 1/8ths of an inch. Meaning that between pins you have 5*(1/8) or 5/8th an inch. The 20 is the thickness or distance between your plates, also in 1/8th of an inch, so a 20 means you have 2*(1/8) or a 1/4 inch thick chain. A 25 means you have 2.5 *(1/8) or a 5/16 inch thick chain. It means that you save about half a pound of rotating weight by switching to a 520. Most of the gains everyone raves about come from the difference in gearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts