Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everybody,

I'm attempting to remove the tires from my 2007 R6, and ran into some trouble with the rear axle. I removed the rear tire on my 2006 R6 with no trouble, so I'm familiar with the process.

I've done everything I can think of to get the rear axle out of the 07. Nut and bolt have been removed, I've put something under the rear tire so it isn't hanging free, I've pushed and hit the axle with a hammer hoping it would pop out the other side, but it doesn't budge.

After some research I found a thread on a CBR forum where the guy had the same issue, hit the axle with a rubber mallet and the thing finally popped out (apparently his was covered in rust).

Do any of you know of any tricks/tips to removing a stuck axle with simple tools?

Thanks

·
Registered
199 Posts
Loosen both adjusters on the sides and then try using the mallet again. Also can try some wd-40 or liquid wrench at the ends of the axle.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
you need a penetrating oil like pb blaster or mix your own with trans fluid & acetone.

Hit it with a rubber mallet... or put a block of wood over it before striking. You dont want to peen (mushroom) the end.

Yeah cbrs suck ass from the factory. What little grease comes on the axle seizes. Took me about 5 mins to remove one. Royal pia.

Also you dont need 50,000 lbs of force on the rear axle nut. 40lb ft is enough. (way less than 1/2 oem recommends). If youre worried about it coming loose... safety wire it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you need a penetrating oil like pb blaster or mix your own with trans fluid & acetone.

Hit it with a rubber mallet... or put a block of wood over it before striking. You dont want to peen (mushroom) the end.

Yeah cbrs suck ass from the factory. What little grease comes on the axle seizes. Took me about 5 mins to remove one. Royal pia.

Also you dont need 50,000 lbs of force on the rear axle nut. 40lb ft is enough. (way less than 1/2 oem recommends). If youre worried about it coming loose... safety wire it.

So I got it to slide out about 1/2 inch by smashing the other end with a hammer, but it did start to mushroom a bit. You're saying I should spray some pb blaster down in there and that should help?

The damnedest thing is, when I attempted to pry the axle out with a hammer on the chain side, I can see the axle sinking in on the exhaust side. Then when I lose grip it snaps back like it's on a f'in spring.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
So I got it to slide out about 1/2 inch by smashing the other end with a hammer, but it did start to mushroom a bit. You're saying I should spray some pb blaster down in there and that should help?

The damnedest thing is, when I attempted to pry the axle out with a hammer on the chain side, I can see the axle sinking in on the exhaust side. Then when I lose grip it snaps back like it's on a f'in spring.
it tapers down abit on the threaded side. You definitely need to soak it.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
Stop hitting it directly with a hammer unless you want to buy a new axle. Get a dead blow hammer, or use a 2x4 between the hammer and the axle. The axle isn't "snapping back like a spring", you are flexing the swingarm. The axle is most likely stuck on one of the wheel bearings.

Everything stated above is all you need.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stop hitting it directly with a hammer unless you want to buy a new axle. Get a dead blow hammer, or use a 2x4 between the hammer and the axle. The axle isn't "snapping back like a spring", you are flexing the swingarm. The axle is most likely stuck on one of the wheel bearings.

Okay. I'll try the wood thing and see what happens. That worked for the guy on the CBR forum so, who knows. I definitely don't want to buy a new axle.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

This. And if you absolutely must hammer directly on the threads, at least thread on the nut most of the way by hand before you start hammering away. it will save the threads from getting destroyed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This. And if you absolutely must hammer directly on the threads, at least thread on the nut most of the way by hand before you start hammering away. it will save the threads from getting destroyed.
The nut and washer are completely removed. The hammering I've done so far doesn't seem to have had any effect on the thread on the axle.

·
Yamaha Blue in any color
3,254 Posts
The nut and washer are completely removed. The hammering I've done so far doesn't seem to have had any effect on the thread on the axle.
I believe he got that point, but that is EXACTLY why several have posted the thread saving methods they have pointed out. Having to buy a new axle because you beat the threads into a mushroom and can't reinstall the nut/washer gets expensive.

Also, look at what TurboBlew posted on the use of transmission fluid. That stuff is slippery as heck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son left out the sleeve baring and rode the bike . when realized it he tried to get the axle out and it is stuck just like the other guys said hammer didn't work .
Tried to use nut buster and WD 40 , HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
you have to keep working it in and out using penetrating oil. believe me it can take a while sometimes. I had to get one out of a yamaha dirtbike that must have sat under water. but sometimes you may have to buy an axle. but they're not expensive. I thread the nut on flush with the end of the axle and hit it with a 3lb sledge hammer. sometimes you gotta do it. since it's hollow you can try heat inside of it with a propane torch

·
Motosylum Racing #132
911 Posts
Last time I helped someone that left the spacer out we ended up having to cut it out.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
you may be able to rent a slide hammer with a internal grip jaws. that's how bearings are removed. in fact i never looked but the r6 axle may have a groove inside of it for this purpose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts