Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How to replace stock air filter by a BMC (R6 2006)

An easy and short tutorial to remove the stock air filter and replace it by a BMC (not the racing version in my case).

1) Remove the stock air filter

Remove the plastic fairing below the tank and move the tank. Find a solution to have a complete access to the airbox.

The airbox is closed by 9 + 2 screws.

Once the airbox is open, the filter is directly accessible.

Just unscrew the 5 bolts that hold the original filter and you will be ready:

2) Install BMC filter

The BMC filter is composed of two parts: cover + filter

Before to set the filter in the airbox, you need to fix the cover to the filter part, 4 black screws are provided. Ps: use Loctitte in order to keep these parts fixed.

Finally, adjust the filter in the airbox and take care that everything is correctly positionned before to screw the 5 new bolts provided by BMC.

Re-install the covers below the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is that the Race filter or Street Filter? Is there really that much of a difference? I mainly ride in the canyons with an occasional track day and am probably going to get the race. Also, do you notice much of a difference?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
damond said:
What did you mean by, "Find a solution to have a complete access to the airbox."
I just mean that you have to find something to hold the fuel tank, so you can move easily around the airbox.. In my case, i just took a piece of wood..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Garrettdj said:
Is that the Race filter or Street Filter? Is there really that much of a difference? I mainly ride in the canyons with an occasional track day and am probably going to get the race. Also, do you notice much of a difference?
Hi, as mentioned in my post, it's the street filter. I am not pro enough to speak about difference, but i have always been advised to change the original filter to something better if you start to tune your engine (in my case, i have installed a full akrapovic and a PCIII).
So, i believe that if you stay on a stock configuration (exhaust etc...) and you just change the filter, i am not that you really feel the difference.

·
My R6 crapped on my chest
199 Posts
maxoverfred said:
Hi, as mentioned in my post, it's the street filter.
Actually, it's both the Street filter and the Race filter. By putting on that "cover piece with the 4 black screws" you have made it a "Street filter". If you leave that off, it's the "Race filter"

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
P5yk0t1c said:
Actually, it's both the Street filter and the Race filter. By putting on that "cover piece with the 4 black screws" you have made it a "Street filter". If you leave that off, it's the "Race filter"
Thanks Dude, I didn't know it was so easy..

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
I fitted a BMC exactly the same as this one, also a Mivv end can, I have tried both configurations ie race and road, here are my conclusions
1. in Road mode the throttle is a little crisper, also a little more grunt on the bottom end when combined with end can, also runs slightly richer but nothing to write home about, if your looking to use this filter for road and expecting huge power gains....dont..if your chosing it because its washable then fine..however, the standard yam filter according to the service manual only needs to be changed every 25,000 miles... its time to ponder....
if you intend to use it in race mode, again crisper throttle, less bottom end than standard but noticable power higher up the rev range..... but runs very rich, also you need a PCIII and a full exhaust system to get the most from the combination, then it comes into its own full system plus filter = 7-8 bhp approx and torque improvements all across the board

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
356 Posts
Just installed my BMC. Attached the air restrictor (part that makes it a street filter). Now wondering if I should have left it off. Instructions also say to put loctite on the screws to the filter. I did this. Just an FYI cause I would hate to have one vibrate loose and fall into the engine.

·
I try..honest I do...
127 Posts
nice one cdickgo, I would be a little careful using the filter in race mode, it really does flatten the bottom end, I reckon its up to your riding style, if your a 'knock the bollocks out of it' rider then remove the restrictor but get it dialled in on a dyno, in effect all the restrictor does is improve air flow and low rpm, like a venturi effect

·
Registered
215 Posts
if the street and race filter are the same whys the race filter cost more??

·
Vrooom on a Yamaha
356 Posts
i bought the 'race' filter from cycle gear. I thought it was different too (as opposed to restrictor/non restrictor). I think it lets more air through the filter. Only a guess.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Just installed my BMC. Attached the air restrictor (part that makes it a street filter). Now wondering if I should have left it off. Instructions also say to put loctite on the screws to the filter. I did this. Just an FYI cause I would hate to have one vibrate loose and fall into the engine.
What the hell is LOCTITE??

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
Right on. I called my local shop an they said its very very rare for those screws to come loose, but the LOCTITE wont hurt.

But i had another question. When replacing the filter... is there a gas line or fuel line u gotta worry about? or is it really that straight forward of just lifting the tank an switching the filter?

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
gonna go do this today...hope all goes well

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.