Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!! I just bought a 2003 R6 and my shift light is set to 10,000 RPMs... That seems to be a little low! I wanted to bump it up to around 12,500 RPMs, but I looked in the owners manual and it is like the most confusing thing I have ever seen. I tried to do what it said but it didn't seems to work... Does anyone have the steps to change it?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
I was going to tell you to look in the manual, I can't explain it any better than it is in there. I thought it was damn confusing at first too. Just set the bike and the book next to you and go through each step, I promise it's not as hard as it seems once you get the hang of it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yah I tried that... It said press select and a menu will come up and that never happened... ? Does the key need to be on or off? it isn't very detailed on the steps...

·
Registered
214 Posts
where in the world do you ride, to shift @ 12,500 rpm's. You will be over the speed limit before you even reach it. Do you really need a light to tell you when to shift???? that's just me!!!

·
Registered
850 Posts
rubonafide said:
where in the world do you ride, to shift @ 12,500 rpm's. You will be over the speed limit before you even reach it. Do you really need a light to tell you when to shift???? that's just me!!!
every now and again some people like to push the limits... and that damn light is BRIGHT at night... 10 k isn't really THAT high.
just my $.02 tho...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
umm... yah buddy I cruise on the freeway at 8,000-10,000 RPMs all the time. So I don't need the light to be blinking on and off when I don't really need to shift...

·
Registered
283 Posts
u have to hold down the select booton while the key is in th off pos. and then turn it to on ,.. then there will be a bunch of 0000 at the bottom this will set the brightness ,... i have mine all the way up . then u have to follow it realy ,.. it is kinda confusing u'll end up tryin it for awhile .

oh ya at the end when u get to ur rpm shift light when u set it to come on at a point u olso hqave to set were to turn it off too ,..

this is still confusing ,... :cuss

hope it helps

·
Registered
214 Posts
Exactly my pointe, set the shift light to rev limit and you never have to worry about seeing the "Bright Light". As far as pushing the limits go. Take it to the the Track. The street is no place to test your limits on such wicked machine!!!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
rubonafide said:
I've got mine set at 14.5k. Expressway on-ramps and empty backroads. With it set here and my mods, I can hang with my buddies 954RR, which just dyno'ed at 140HP, from a 60 mph roll-on to about 125. Needless to say that was a bit of shot to his ego. :hammer

I know it is not responsible to do things like that on the street. But EVERYONE opens up their bike from time to time, don't they? Why would you buy a sportbike if all you want to do is pose, er uhh I mean, cruise.

:moon

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,815 Posts
z31maniac said:
I know it is not responsible to do things like that on the street. But EVERYONE opens up their bike from time to time, don't they? Why would you buy a sportbike if all you want to do is pose, er uhh I mean, cruise.

:moon
yup im a guilty one here. my username is stoneloco808, and i like to speed. the rock i live on, we dont even have a bike track. so we just tear it up near the peak of the volcano. it does have an ocassional car here and there, but its all we got. i know its not legal, but i say f**k it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts