Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Friend bought a 2009 R6 with about 3,000 miles on it. Previous owner "ghetto'd" it out like a hayabusa so I'm trying to clean it up for her.

Currently it has some bike speakers in it, going to rip the whole system out. One thing that concerns me is the extended swing-arm. It's extended 6 inches, doesn't look like a whole after-market unit just has brackets from the original swing-arm.

If I take these off, wheel comes loose and chain, do I simply just mount it back on to the original swing-arm adjust the chain and align the wheel on the marks?

·
Registered
126 Posts
just take it off and put it in the original space on the swingarm, all they are is extensions by the sounds of it which are just 2 aluminum brackets with holes in them that get put into the old swingarm slots.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
what that guy said + you'll need to shorten the chain significantly. Theres no way it would move until the chain is addressed. but you probably knew that already.

Also, put up some before and after's so we can gag and post stereotypical comments about ghetto gangsta gixxer riders :yes

·
Mario J's Apple Juice
8,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what that guy said + you'll need to shorten the chain significantly. Theres no way it would move until the chain is addressed. but you probably knew that already.

Also, put up some before and after's so we can gag and post stereotypical comments about ghetto gangsta gixxer riders :yes
Will do, I'll probably ask one of the members on here to help me out with it since he worked on chains before.

Seriously, I hated extended swing-arms before but I hate them even more now that I rode with one on. I literally couldn't turn/lean at all. Everytime I would it would straighten me back up, so at lights or stop signs I had to slow down and turn the handlebars which freaked me out because I'm leaning in as well so I'm fighting the handlebars to go straight.

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Will do, I'll probably ask one of the members on here to help me out with it since he worked on chains before.

Seriously, I hated extended swing-arms before but I hate them even more now that I rode with one on. I literally couldn't turn/lean at all. Everytime I would it would straighten me back up, so at lights or stop signs I had to slow down and turn the handlebars which freaked me out because I'm leaning in as well so I'm fighting the handlebars to go straight.
It can be a PITA if you have no clue what youre doing (coming from personal experience) so its good that you know someone who does. Just a thought - depending on what chain size is on there, you might look at doing a 520 conversion while everything is apart. Good luck and its good to know youre doing the right thing :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts