Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this off another forum and I know it restates alot that is already been said but I found it really helpful.

Hey guys, I have had a lot of help from this site, it is great. I have been reading a lot lately and realized many beginners are very frustrated with their wheelie results. The reason, because even though the people who write How to wheelie, they have been doing them for a while they forget the frustration of the stupid little HOPS and the wheel not coming up, even when you follow what the experience person wrote. So I thought ok even though I am not a pro, this may help many people for the simple fact I am not a pro.

Liability: I take no responsibility for my advice! I am just putting in my 2 cents of what I think can help someone who is just starting and not getting the results they wanted.

Ok so you have been trying to do wheelies and you are getting JUMPS and HOPS or even yet less, you are just going faster. WHY, why, why, why isn’t it working even though you are following what they wrote on the forum? I was there just a short while ago. You poor no wheeling slob, you will get it today.

So you have been going back and forth in a parking lot, or trying to wheelie on the road, and you are just getting little hops or going faster when you look at your gage and trying to hit 4k or 8k depending what you read in the forums.

Some Harsh facts while learning :

ONLY Rule, DON’T BE A DUMB ASS, USE YOUR BRAIN.

1st, is your bike fuel injected and are you getting a pause when you accelerate? If your bike is fuel injected it will respond better than one that isn’t. This means you just have to learn your bike no matter what it is. R6’s after 03 are fuel injected, before are not.

2nd, TIRES are they in good shape and is your butt sliding 15 feet at every stop light? If so get new tires you cheap skate. You can’t wheelie if you tire is slipping all over the place. Grip is important when you have only one wheel on the road. MAKE SURE the pressure in your bike tires is good. Check weekly, if the pressure is low it can cause your bike to wobble or push your front tire around on the road, dangerous. Tires don’t have to be missing all their tread to be used up or bad, many may have cracks or there maybe a wear nub on the tire. It looks like a defective leftover chunk of rubber in the tread, if this is worn time for a new tire. You can get a safe 5 to 7k out of a factory tire that came with the bike; otherwise the rest pretty much can take about 3k miles of safe riding.

3rd, Gloves, they make you look cool and help you grip, make sure they fit well. If you have a pair of gloves that are pinching your hands, you are going to get some sore hands and if they are loose they can grab the throttle and not allow you to let off which will scare the crap out of you when you think you are suppose to stop and you are still hauling ass. If this happens PULL the clutch and try to pull your hand off the throttle completely by a few inches.

4th, Your Nuts, yes you love them! Yes you want to keep them. Beginners you can cover them with a sock or something but they are going to get smashed a few times while you are trying to learn, sorry fact of life guys.

5th, Fear factor not the TV show, but wheelies are scary when you are learning, yes fact the bike is leaving the ground in the front and you are going at a pretty good speed. Your mind will be thinking many things at once. “YEAH I MADE IT, I RULE.”, “I HOPE I DON’T FLIP”, “I HOPE I DON’T SLIDE OFF”, “IS THERE COPS AROUND HERE?”, “DID THE CUTE GIRL OVER THERE SEE ME?”, yes all of this will happen. WATCH CRASH VIDEOS of people who are failing at wheelies, this will help you to ALWAYS RESPECT the bike and remind you this is dangerous. HAVE room to practice. The UP ON ONE site is great. This will also remind you to ALWAYS INSPECT your bike even though it was fine yesterday. Parts can rattle off and bolts can be missing. When you get your wheel up, keep doing it so you can get use to the feeling of the bike, also LISTEN TO THE BIKE.

6th, the buddy system, I know not all of us can be bless with friends who have bikes too. Practicing with others is fun and much safer. If you crash and burn or anything else, you are basically going to need someone else to beep in on the cell for the truck to come get you. Always make sure your buddy is far enough away so he won’t get blood on him if you make a mistake.

7th, My feelings on ARMOR or bike jackets. You should have one, but remember they pretty much only stop road rash, not snapped bones or joints. I believe the jackets make people feel too safe when learning, and when that split second comes for blowing it, they just letting it happen because in their mind they say. “HEY I got armor.” Anytime you crash, it could be your last. Don’t let it happen anyway you can, even if you have armor and sliders. This may sound strange but the mindset of NOT going to crash has help me many times.

8th, COPS, doing this is illegal, you know that and you should be careful about it. Find a legal or private place to do it. Of course you are learning it to show off, but there is a place and time for wheelies. Cops can write a ticket as bad as they want too if you are caught doing this. It can be from Exhibition driving all the way up to reckless endangerment. College campus lots are not private many campuses are owned or funded by the state. This means you can get a ticket in many different wonderful places.

9th, Clean visor, sun and rest. I know you want to learn wheelies so bad you can almost taste the fame and the nude women jumping you after your display of skill. So you run out and say TODAY I am going to get it. HOLD up nature boy. Is your helmet visor Clean, or does it have fingerprints, water spots, scratches and bugs all over it? Take a second and clean the damn thing. If it is scratched up get a new one, can’t be doing stunts if you can’t see. SUN, if it is bright as heck out you better think about sun glasses or a Reflective visor. If you are trying to wheelie and the sun hits you in the eye it can be very distracting. You can put on sun glasses after your helmet is on or you can invest in a reflective Visor, once again making you even cooler than you already are. If you don’t cover your eyes, you can also get bad headaches at the end of the day or next day. This would reduce wheelie learning time. Rest after doing wheelies for 1 hour or when you feel a little worn out. The more you wheelie the more tired you are going to get. Take a rest regularly, if you get tired you are going to make a mistake and cost your bike or do something stupid or your hand could just slip off. When you rest, walk a little, drink some water, talk BS with your buddy about your wheelies and you hop back on your bike you will notice how much better you feel and how much stronger your hold is.

LAST: Cover the back brake, every wheelie guide I have seen said cover the brake so why the heck do I need to tell you?

WHY you suck at Wheelies:

I am sure by now you have read enough to know there is pretty much a few ways to do wheelies. The power wheelie, clutched wheelie or the Bounce on the front wheelie. Also combination of either with a bounce. First of all you know you suck and you know you can’t do any of them or you can get one to work once in a while.

Power wheelie , this one you throttle in first gear and pop the front by snapping it shut and open. You have read it and you have tried it but you still can’t get it to pop very often. Why is it so hard?
WHY it isn’t working? The reason, you are trying to read the gage while you are doing it or you aren’t feeling the bike. You are throttling it to slow or just at the wrong time. The numbers you are given on the forum are a basic guideline for what they are doing. Most is still done based on sound and feel of the bike. Back to basics of the regular peddle bike. On a peddle bike you can jerk the handle bars up and push with your feet different somehow to get the bike to wheelie. But when you use your feet you aren’t trying to push your bike faster you are trying to torque I up. So how is that different then normal? Did you peddle different? Same is true on a Powered bike. You aren’t trying to go faster you are trying to get the torque on the back wheel. While you can’t JERK up your 400lb bike you can handle the throttle to torque it up. So the way you snap your throttle open and shut is very important.
Other guidelines to follow about bike balance, if you are less then 170lbs you don’t need to really worry about where your butt is, if you still can’t pop try to move your butt back a little. You heavy guys need to move your butt back to make this work.

On a throttle wheelie you can wheelie at pretty much any speed over 14 mph but also try to keep it under 34 mph when learning to pop the wheel.

Throttle, sound and feel. Ok to get a feel for your bike roll at about 10 to 15 mph down a nice road in first gear. I want you to do some quick blips. This means some quick throttles of opening it then close it. The point of doing this is not to go fast or make a wheelie this is to feel the bike. The blips should cause the bike to jerk a little, feel for when the bike dives down and try to blip before the dive is complete. Keep your bike at less than 18 mph when doing this. Try to get the bike to jerk so you might even think the wheel would jump a little or make it jump if you can. Listen to how your bike sounds when you throttle it up. The speed, feel and sound of doing this will help you know when your bike is going to pop. You will also learn the power pause your bike might have. Ok are you able to jerk your bike pretty good now? Can you feel the speed instead of looking down at your gage now? A glance down is good to know if you are getting a feel for it.

Getting the wheel to jump, at this time if you have been ridding long enough, you could have done a wheelie by accident by accelerating fast in first gear. You might not even have known it caused your handle bars to jerk left and right a little while your wheel was coming up. This just won’t do, small wheelies are for the weak. Ok so you have been blipping until you can’t stand it anymore. And you believe you know your bike. Well try it faster going over 18 mph less than 30, slide your butt back try to get your bike to jerk like when you were going slower. At some point you will get the front wheel to pop up about 1 foot maybe less. Try to remember the Feel and sound of the bike, this is very important. Now it is time to do your wheelies, throttle your bike up to about 26 to 30 cut then blip it with more power, try a little more power till it pops up just like you did at slow speeds. When you cut the power you will feel the bike DIVE down a little this is exactly when you want to throttle up to get the best results. Just before the dive is over throttle up NOT after it is over. Remember you have a power pause. You will learn to feel your wheelie and this will give you the results of being able to pop it about 90% of the time.

Clutched WHEELIES and why you suck so bad that you can’t even get a jump out of the damn bike:

You have read, rev to about 6k pull the clutch then release at about 8k to get your wheel to pop. So you have done this and done this and done this and all you get is a burst of speed or a little squeal or worst you believe you broke your bike. Sounds simple but just won’t work for you, because you are special.

Pulling your clutch properly. Ok so you know the basic idea but can’t make it work, you want to pull the clutch and hold onto the bike so you don’t fall off. Holding the clutch handle you can use your MIDDLE finger or First finger to pull the clutch in while doing this stunt. The reason you would want to do this. Reduced chance of screwing up . You will adjust your clutch tension so when you pull with your middle or first finger it will be just enough to disengage the clutch and when releasing you will have no way to dump it. Meaning no unexpected problems of releasing too quickly. This is a huge fear of many beginners.

If you use your entire hand to pull the clutch you get this.
Disengaged Engaged
|------------------------ XX| If you disengage the clutch only that last little bit engages.

If you use your middle finger or first finger, the fingers holding onto the handle stop it from going all the way down you get a result more like this.
Dis. Engaged
|--- XXXX |

You get the comfort of having more fingers on the handle and still able to pull the clutch and not too far in and no worries about dumping it to fast.

Going down the road practice to make sure the clutch is set right, by using our middle or first finger that it just disengages when you pull in with your finger and engages very close to the edge of the release.

Location, while 1st gear throttle wheelies are great in parking lots, 2nd gear clutch is best learned on a smooth back open country roads.

OK time to wheelie now you got clutching down. You have been driving around with your middle finger pulling the clutch and you are still just getting bursts of speed. Yeah you Mr. special no wheelie guy. Make sure your butt is back. Now when I learned this I had been driving around for 2 days trying to get it to pop. My friend said he had the same problem at first and he just said “OK fine I am just going to throttle it.” Here is the skinny on this problem. Most say 6 to 8k this is true it is very accurate, but how you do that 6 to 8 is very different. You can drive your bike up to 6k in second gear then clutch rev and release. And you might get a pop but most likely not. The nice thing on Second gear is no matter how much throttle you give it you are pretty safe. You are just going to have to pull your balls up and give it almost double what you are doing now.
The point is you are trying to RAMP it from 6k to 8k Not match it. This means you are trying to catch the throttle on it’s way up from 0. So it works like this.

Rev to 6k ruuuuuuuurrrrurrrrr you are at about 24 to 30 mph, time to wheelie. As you are accelerating you will come up to 6k. You don’t go 6k and ride a mile then wheelie.

The Guideline:
At 6k you pull your clutch with the middle finger or first finger. Cut the throttle and REV it up to 12 k to 14k almost and release your clutch finger. The result is the needle will drop down to about 8k.

The real thing: You will be going about 24 to 30 you can look to see if you are coming up to 6k. You cut throttle and pull your clutch at the same time and you need to listen to your engine and feel your hand throttle up.
This is a BIG blip because on this you are going to use almost double of what you had because there is no weight on the engine. Not enough throttle is more dangerous than too much. If you are on a nice country rode you should get a nice smooth baby wheelie. Just add more throttle. And keep your speed around 24 to 30 if you go faster slow it down and try again.

You will hear your engine; it should sound very loud for a few seconds then quiet once you release the clutch. Keep your throttle up for a smooth long wheelie. If you are just getting bursts of speed you are only doing 25% of what you need for throttle so just add more you can’t dump the clutch if you have your middle or first finger on the clutch releasing it, if you use a FULL HAND PULL you can dump it easy.

The Bounce:
If you can do these 2 types of wheelies you will add the bounce in later once you feel good about yourself, just remember the throttle just before the bike is done diving. Learn the feel and sound of your bike and your results will be better.

The GOAL:

The goal and the point is you are working your way up to standing wheelies. There really is no such thing as a in between wheelie. Your bike balances on a stand up wheelie and you are learning to pop the Wheel up all the way to full standup. Anything less is just practice to get use to the feeling of your bike coming up.

So no wheelie guy get out there and do something.

Yours Alex26i

·
Registered
214 Posts
good post...thanks alot

·
Registered
324 Posts
bro, its not that you are a biotch, its that you are being careful. As more comfort comes, the more you will do. It is always un-natural to something new, but with riding and time comes confidence...the front wheel will then come up in a controlled manner. Being careful is not being a biotch, its smart.

Stay with it and keep the rubber side down.

·
Registered
321 Posts
i ride aggressive as far as corner speeds and overall drivability..there I'm comfortable with my experience (4 years) I just cant get the confidene to try and wheelie..more or less I would rather learn how to wheelie already going 40+mph then from a standstill..not sure if that makes sense? The idea of standing straight up doesnt appeal to me as much as just raising the front end while in motion as they do in AMA & Moto GP

·
Registered
324 Posts
4 years is a long time. I only have two years experience and im popping power-ups all day, the clutch it a little out of my field of vision right now. Just throttle up like normal, get to about 15 mph, let off the throttle, and crack it open again...as if you were going to blast, but dont lean forward, sit back and watch the wheel come up. Little by little it will pop....you will become familiar with it in no time and be riding em out like nothing. Its odd at first in a scary, cool, out of control yet under control way. Lemme know how you do. Just wear your gear, and have fun.

·
Registered
321 Posts
The gear is a gimmie..after my accident last year I am thankful for it. Broken collar bone,some stiches and minor road rash even with the jacket, jeans and boots. Without the gear and I figure my arm would have looked like a cheese grater. Next time I'm in an open area I'll maybe try to give it a shot..should I be in 1st or 2nd when I open and close the throttle?

·
Registered
32 Posts
thats crazy, when i was leaving work the other day for some reason i did the blip and it poped up pretty good but went back down i try it alll the time now pretty soon when all thoes little sh*ts on the side of the road put there hands in the air i can actually do some what of a wheelie thanks for the great post man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.