Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be switching to WaterWetter in the next couple weeks, just wondering if there was a "How To" out there for the swap. If not, can anyone share their experiences on how to do this. Is there a big NO NO I should be aware of or anything or do I require a full flush on a machine?? Any help would be great!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
I did mine by myself. .

Make sure the bike is cool to start...

Pull the radiator cap as well as the excess tank with cap & hose before unscrewing the drain plug. I pulled the hose clamp as well to allow a quicker drain. Crank the bike after you've drained everything and allow the temp to rise until the fans kick in... This will activate the coolant and flush the remainder out. I pre mixed extra coolant mixture to let it cycle through the radiator to flush all the coolant. Then after everything was coming out pink/clear, I buttoned everything up and filled the radiator with the same amount that was drained.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Second that !!!. One thing though - fill it back up with whatever it says in the manual. If you`ve lost coolant before draining but put the same voume back in as what was drained then you may not have enough coolant in the system.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks guys, sounds easy enough, cheers!!

·
Garage Queen R6
719 Posts
After the first drain, fill the bike back up with distilled water. no need to waste the mix. Let the bike run a lil and drain again. Repeat until the drainage is clear, then fill up with the water+wetter mix. Let it run for a lil while then top off. usually i like to buy 2 gallons of distilled water. 1 gal for the flush and 1 to pre-mix.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Could anyone supply a picture of the drain plug for the coolant? I don't have a service manual or anything, so I pretty much have no idea...

·
Registered
332 Posts
FWIW, i have always used regular tap water with water wetter. Can't hurt to use distilled water i suppose. But its easier to just go to the sink.

"For best results, replenish or
replace every year. The anti-scaling ingredients in Red
Line WaterWetter® allow its use with ordinary tap water."

That is in the Red Line white paper here: http://www.redlineoil.com/whitePaper/9.pdf

gary

·
Redline.......White Light
751 Posts
Thanks to SNOWBIZX for the pic, sorry for any copyright infringement, but i am at work and can't take the pic. HERE IS THE DRAIN PLUG. Good luck, water wetter helps alot, 6 degrees cooler, even opn 105 degree days.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks to SNOWBIZX for the pic, sorry for any copyright infringement, but i am at work and can't take the pic. HERE IS THE DRAIN PLUG. Good luck, water wetter helps alot, 6 degrees cooler, even opn 105 degree days.
Wow, wouldn't have know it was that one. Much appreciated! Now I just have to get me some of that Water Wetter...

·
track addiction,got cash?
18 Posts
i have heard it is not good to use tap water, due to the minerals,and additives can cause unneeded wear to internal parts in your cooling system.imo might as well spend a couple dollars and be safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts