Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being my second season riding, I do not want to make bad habits. I was at Tail of the Dragonfor a weekend and had these pictures taken. It would be nice if I had some more shots but it's all I have.

So what can I improve on? How can I be better?

I only have 1 track sag under my belt but plan on more.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Found one more. I know my inner foot is wrong because I was throttling out and it slipped. What else is bad/needs improvement?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THANKS! Chin to the clipon, makes sense. Was wondering where to put my head and just doing what was natural at the time. Will work on that!

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Sign up for a track day. You'll learn more than you knew there was to learn. And have a blast at the same time.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
Signed up with who? Where?
If you signed up with a good track org, you will get personal attention, but you do have to ask for it. In the riders meeting first thing in the morning, they will ask you about your riding history and assign you to a group with similar experience. Tell the CR that you are assigned to what you want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The track day I signed up to is at TMP. I already did the intro to track last year. That was my first track day. Unfortunately I didn't learn to much about body position because I wasn't there yet (technically speaking). I learned alot about lines, throttle on/off and track days themselves.

I do not have a favorite side TurboBlew. Left or rights don't really seem to bother me...I don't not use my rest brake but im sure as I get better that will become a problem (seems hard to use the rear brake in lean so I stay away so I don't low side)

I do/can brake into the turn using the front brake.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,251 Posts
So you can afford a late model sportbike, namebrand full leathers/gloves/boots, an Arai helmet, and trips from toronto to the dragon, buuuuuuuuut you can't afford trackdays? One speeding ticket usually equals about the cost of a trackday. A reckless driving will equal an entire season. A crash can be worth a couple seasons at the track.

Doesn't look completely horrible. Pretty decent for someone with essentially zero track experience and only a year of riding. If anything it looks like you're trying too hard to drag a knee. Lower body too far off, upper body not far enough off and too high.

Off the top of my head, this is the body position breakdown that I hear over and over again (and am still working on myself).

Hook your outside foot heel on the peg,
knee into the tank (helps to have stompgrip or something similar),
ass crack on the edge of the seat with rear end towards the back of the seat (no balls on tank),
chest touching the top of the tank,
drop inside elbow,
loose grip on bars (outside forearm should be around perpendicular to the outside bar, inside forearm to be close to inline with it)
outside elbow with a slight bend in it (not completely straight)
head turned looking where you want to go
kiss the mirror.

Different people have different opinions on body position. What all of it boils down to is you being comfortable and being able to maintain control if a situation arises. The goal of hanging off the bike is to move the center of gravity of the bike/rider combination and keep the bike more upright, not to drag knee. Different people fit bikes differently. Some can't get all their body parts in the right place because their arms/legs/torso are too long/short.

·
Parts Pimp
26,473 Posts
Bend your inside elbow. That is the easiest thing to think of while riding that will bring your upper body into the are AGG mentioned.

And +1 on chest down. All the time everywhere you go. It takes a ton of weight off your arms and also makes for better pics and faster cornering. :cheers

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol I bought a house. That's why I have the sportbike but cash flow is tight. Can't splurge like I did last year. Even thinking about selling it to buy a track bike and use my insurance money for track days.

Thanks for your tips. They are appreciated. :)

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
So you can afford a late model sportbike, namebrand full leathers/gloves/boots, an Arai helmet, and trips from toronto to the dragon, buuuuuuuuut you can't afford trackdays? One speeding ticket usually equals about the cost of a trackday. A reckless driving will equal an entire season. A crash can be worth a couple seasons at the track.

Doesn't look completely horrible. Pretty decent for someone with essentially zero track experience and only a year of riding. If anything it looks like you're trying too hard to drag a knee. Lower body too far off, upper body not far enough off and too high.

Off the top of my head, this is the body position breakdown that I hear over and over again (and am still working on myself).

Hook your outside foot heel on the peg,
knee into the tank (helps to have stompgrip or something similar),
ass crack on the edge of the seat with rear end towards the back of the seat (no balls on tank),
chest touching the top of the tank,
drop inside elbow,
loose grip on bars (outside forearm should be around perpendicular to the outside bar, inside forearm to be close to inline with it)
outside elbow with a slight bend in it (not completely straight)
head turned looking where you want to go
kiss the mirror.

Different people have different opinions on body position. What all of it boils down to is you being comfortable and being able to maintain control if a situation arises. The goal of hanging off the bike is to move the center of gravity of the bike/rider combination and keep the bike more upright, not to drag knee. Different people fit bikes differently. Some can't get all their body parts in the right place because their arms/legs/torso are too long/short.
Agreed on all of that. Keep in mind, the weight on your body distributed further toward the top, so getting your ass and inside leg off the bike a whole bunch doesn't do much to change the center of gravity, but it does make you less stable on the bike.

I shoot for having my ass crack on the edge of the seat - in your picture we've got a clear view of your taint, so work on keeping your ass a little more on the seat, and get your head and shoulders down inside the turn more instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great tips. Can't wait to work on them. Seems so easy when you're riding but pictures show your true flaws.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
The track day I signed up to is at TMP. I already did the intro to track last year. That was my first track day. Unfortunately I didn't learn to much about body position because I wasn't there yet (technically speaking). I learned alot about lines, throttle on/off and track days themselves.

I do not have a favorite side TurboBlew. Left or rights don't really seem to bother me...I don't not use my rest brake but im sure as I get better that will become a problem (seems hard to use the rear brake in lean so I stay away so I don't low side)

I do/can brake into the turn using the front brake.
Did you bring the r6 last year? I don't remember you.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts