Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so, I'm in the market and i happened across this on craigs list in the Lakeland area in Florida. the guy wants $1200 for this bike and its in running condition. although i was not sure if this setup is completely safe and if it was possible to do this conversion without major modifications? thanks below is the post explanation.

"It started out as a 1996 FZR 600 that I got about two years ago just to ride back and forth to work. I decided that I wanted to make some changes to it so I replaced the front end with 2002 R6 forks, wheel, and triple clamps. I modified the upper triple clamp with Renthal risers and dirt bike handle bars. In the rear I put a 2007 R6 swing arm, shock, wheel, and brakes in it. The bike has been converted to a 520 chain with a 636 front sprocket and an aluminium Vortex rear sprocket to accomodate the wider rear tire."

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
There's a lot of geometry changes that happen when you put that newer swingarm into that older bike. I wouldn't ride it, or buy it.

1. It probably rides like shit and is dangerous.
2. It's gonna be a huge hassle getting parts you need and whatnot cause of the mixed and matched components on the bike.
3. Also, who wants someone else's one-off creations unless it's like a paul taylor bike or something like that.

There's a thread on here with a dude putting all newer swingarm in an older R6, and there's tons of info on the rake, trail changes, etc.. It's very involved, and not something you just pull out of your ass and frankenstein up.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Pass. Save up and find something that's not a cobbled piece of shit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts