Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike has 9.9k miles with a full exhaust. He sent me a cold start video. Is this normal?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,049 Posts
The ticking valves and cam chain? Sounds like mine did brand new and still sounds at 28k miles.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
Nah new rider myself. Bought my 1st bike in june. Still learning about the many noises the r6 makes.
OPs bike is a screamer after 11,000 rpms below that its a dog. Your bike on the other hand makes about +10 more HP in the "mid range" (7-11,000 rpms) and tapers off around 13,500 rpms vs 15,000 for the OPs. The OP could swap variable stacks in along with a proper 2009 ECU and have the best of everything that would leave your bike for roadside recovery in terms of power. Also that 07 model is a sharp handling chassis... the later models are softer. Stuff that could be addressed. For a track bike though... the 07 is one of the better chassis next to the 2005.
I probably wouldnt be idling the OPs bike around under 5,000 rpms for very long or go more than 1,000 miles on oil changes... its a race bike with lights. Your model is more refined for the street but both are pretty much worthless a pedestrian speeds.

·
Registered
2008 r6
27 Posts
Ah ok. 3rd,4th and I believe 5th around 7to11rpms the bike just wants to take off and fly. It unbelievable the power and acceleration it has in those gears at those rpms. Dont get me wrong I kno 1st and 2nd it gets going but the mid gears and mid rpms leave u wanting more. I'd like to flash the ecu for my next step but not sure how to go about it. Right now I have a Frankenstein m4 full exhaust system(owner before me), performance chip, soon to be kn air filter 6008 not 6008r and 2 bros juice box(didn't kno at the time had to get cheap fuel module). I'm trying to learn how to setup mapping on juice box and understand the ins and outs. Alot to understand. Also 15teeth front sprocket and 45 in rear. I learned on bike wit 15-47 for front and rear. Want to go 15-46 but need speedo healer before I go back. Other than that I mainly want to flash ecu. Am I going in right direction? Or leave it be? If u dont mind responding. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,182 Posts
you could probably find a power commander for cheap. Throw the juice & K&N away. Garbage parts. OEM best filter... you can remove the snorkel for some sound & 1hp.
Your gearing is retarded... must go like 10mph in first before needing to shift. 15/43 is the optimal gearing. Most importantly... get some training. There are 6 gears. If you cant use everyone of them then find another hobby. The bike makes 45ft lbs of torque at best. Thats 1/2 what a similar liter bike makes a 8500 rpms.

·
Registered
2008 r6
27 Posts
I use all 6 gears man. I train as much as possible. I ride the bitch bag off that bike for a beginner. Almost topped bike out. So 43 in rear would prolong shifting but would the acceleration still be there? Last night I was looking at oem filters and seeing if that snorkel could com off in back and use just the filter. I'll give kn filter to my buddy. He has 08 cbr600rr wit 2 bros slip on. Gunna give him juice box and get PC when I can. Yes I agree with the gearing, I had to shift every second. Little better wit what I got now but I'll do some research with the 15-43. If I go to 43t the acceleration will still be there wit dragging out each gear for more speed right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are a couple things that you could do before a valves adjustment
1) sincronize the throttle body
2) change your ignition coil
If any of that works you need a valves adjustment

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes this is normal, the surging you here is when the bike runs in what is called closed loop. The sensors are not reading until they hit operating temperature and then it is in open loop. The bike is running on default setpoints until it reaches 104 degrees F.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts