Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just turned 18 and can buy a bike in few months after I figure out a way to build up my credit. I have come to the conclusion that I want either the R1 or the R6. Is the R6 a good beginner's bike? I think the R1 might be to fast to be my first bike but who knows. I love the way the bike looks. In my opinion the best looking 2004 at the local store here in Fayetteville NC besides the Hayabusa. I sat on the Hayabusa and said no way to heavy. Well enough of my blabbing, back to my question. Is the R6 a good bike to start with?

Thanks for all your help

David

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not only is the R6 a good starting bike compared to the R1 but the R6 is also a better all around bike IMHO. Once you get good a riding you will beable to rip up R1 when it comes to handling. So you will lose a straight line race against the R1 but when the road starts winding you will whip its ass then. Get the R6 you will be happy you did!

my $.02

·
Registered
318 Posts
yeah man get the r6!!! I am a first time buyer, took my bros r6 for a ride last summer and was like "i gotta get me one of deez!" I am in the process of having my loan go through. I am holding the bike right now with a 500 deposit. About your loan and building up credit, talk to your bank and parents about having a co-signer. That is what I am doing, your parents co-sign on the loan so if anything fails your parents can cover it but the bike is titled in your name, and you get the credit!! The bank should do this, its your parents you ahve to convince. The 2004 silver with black flames is a nice choice of bike if you are wanting a brand new one... I would stick to atleast a 2003. Good Luck with the loan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I thought you guy would say that. I like the silver with flames but plan on buying the blue 2004 R6. All the other 600 bikes in my opinion look like crap.

But thanks for the post they were much appreciated

Soon to be R6 owner

David

·
Registered
293 Posts
good choice man, i have been riding my 6 for a while now and i am still scared of the r1. it is much less forgiving. the 6 you can get a little happy with the throttle and you wont get in too much trouble where on the 1 you can loose the back in a corner very easily. and even going straight you can easily loop out.

·
Registered
951 Posts
r6 is a good bike to learn on and a awesome bike! it's not a beginners bike! if you're skilled enough you can ride that bad ass machine through curves faster then a R1. Too many people get cought up in 'bigger is better'. The R1... some people, not even beginners, don't want to ride it. insaine power. :cheers

:worship

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
dtfastj said:
Hey I just turned 18 and can buy a bike in few months after I figure out a way to build up my credit. I have come to the conclusion that I want either the R1 or the R6. Is the R6 a good beginner's bike? I think the R1 might be to fast to be my first bike but who knows. I love the way the bike looks. In my opinion the best looking 2004 at the local store here in Fayetteville NC besides the Hayabusa. I sat on the Hayabusa and said no way to heavy. Well enough of my blabbing, back to my question. Is the R6 a good bike to start with?

Thanks for all your help

David
dont buy an R1 for your first bike....

·
Registered
836 Posts
I will never agree that ANY 600 super-sport is a good bike for a new rider, unless they have dirtbike experience. Being online, I have no way of knowing what kind of inherent skill you have... so it is up to you to judge whether you have the good judgement to ride safely on the street.

I will give you advise on the financial aspect of your decision.

Bear this in mind... you WILL pay over $1000/yr for insurance, maybe twice that or more if you don't have a spotless driving record. And since you imply that you have no credit, that will drive up your insurance rates as well. Are you prepared to pay this bill every month?

It sounds like you aren't going to have the cash to buy the bike outright and may be financing a large portion of the purchase price which can put you in a bad situation if the bike is stolen or totalled. You still have to make the payments if the insurance company doesn't pay off the entire amount you borrow.

You are new to motorcycling, so do you even know what kind of sport-riding you want to do? If you are a straight-line hero, you will HATE the R6. If you decide you like taking trips, you will HATE the R6. If you love riding sharp canyons or amatuer road-racing... you will cum all over yourself riding the R6. So what happens a year from now if you decide a hard edged race-bike isn't for you? If you are buying it for the Bling-Bling factor, there is always something newer and tricker right around the bend. You are going to have a huge loan on a bike with mediocre resale value.

My advise for new riders is always... find a nice, low mileage sportbike. Something like a YZF600, or CBR-F3, or even a ZX-6R. If you want bling, do it up yourself. You can buy 3-4 year old sportbike and buy every mod you can think of... for well less than a new R6.

That way, two years from now you can buy the latest and greatest bike with the money you saved on financing and insurance. And you will probably have been able to afford some track-days and performance riding schools.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
dtfastj said:
I have come to the conclusion that I want either the R1 or the R6.

David
Ok, don't take this the wrong way but if you get the R1, can you install a tank cam so we can watch the impending carnage? You can learn on the 6 if you do it responsibly. don't crack it wide open or try and stunt before you can even balance on the thing. Learn how it behaves when you brake quickly and how it handles with sudden inputs (parking lots a great for this.....empty ones). Be sensible about it and ride defensively.

my too scents.....

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rocky R6 makes a good point. I said be for that the R6 was my beginner bike but that isn't entirely true. My very first bike was a 1994 CR250 Dirt Bike. If you have the cash and don't mind waiting a little longer to get you Street Rocket you could get a dirt bike. The coolest thing about riding dirt first is that it is so much fun it isn't really like learning. Also you don't get many opportunities on a Street bike to fly 25ft in the air!! Dirt bikes are so cheap that you can hardly affford not to get one!!! Plus when you go down in the dirt you wont get ran over by Semi Trucks!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I like the comments and a have decided the R-6 is the one for me. My insurance will be about $750 (already called the insurance company and asked) every year and the payments only about $250 give or take on both. So I am all set it the money area just got to convince my parents to co-sign. If not my neighbor said he would be happy too but I want to try to convince my parents first.

·
Registered
784 Posts
the 2004 R1 is ratd like 172-180 hp at the rear wheel man.... if you ask me, a new rider and that much power only means one thing .... EVIL is A-FOOT! Go with the R6 man, like everyone else has said...

Ahh man, I could hug all you guys.....
I finally had the balls to go get an insurance quote for the R6 (before the dealer lets me purchase) .... and to my astoundment, I got quoted half the price I was expecting to pay .... and this is for a quote WITH collision coverage..... damn..... State Farm owns me :cheers

Most places quote you $3000 for bare minimum coverage on a 600 sportclass bike...... Statefarm doesn't even gooo by what type bike it is.... just year and then engine displacement...

INstead of $3000, I got quoted roughly $1400/yr Canadian ...... but I must now find a vehicle to insure alongside the bike.... since we're on the verge of getting rid of one of our old vehicles.....

Ahhh, the R6 gods have heard my prayers
:worship

·
Registered
293 Posts
lowriders said:
I find your cause is helpless seeing that you actually like what the Haybusa looks like. jk

hahaha yea there must be something wrong if he likes the look of the busa. about insurance i only pay 50 a month for full coverage and a 250 comprehensive deductable.

·
Registered
951 Posts
people who pay $50 a month for full coverage also usually have their bike as secondary coverage. i have two tickets and got quoted for $48 a month with state farm but when i went to sign up they said the only do bikes as secondary.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The Busa doesnt look that bad does it? Well the front fender does look kind of stupid. But Hey at least I didnt say it looked better than the R6. There is this 750 Katana that is about to be traded in a this place here. The dealer told me if the guy trades it in I could have it for about $3500 with 10% down. How does this bike compare to the R6 I know this is probably the wrong place to ask this but hey.

Thanks for all your help

David

·
Registered
222 Posts
in answer to your question, dtfastj

The katana is an ugly, HEAVY, old, (did I mention ugly) bike. The bike runs on drivetrain developed in the '80s. It weighs a good 100 lbs more than the R6, and to top it off, the fairing looks like it was beat with an ugly-stick :poke

Ok, now that I've trashed the Kat completely, let me give a more balanced review of it: Its a highway eater, a touring bike disguised as a sport bike. It's heavey, torquey at low and mid range RPM's, with higher bars, a lower seat and farther-forward pegs to make 5-hour trips more comfortable. If you want to keep up in the twisties, you'll need something else. You will need to go with R6 or equivalent (is there an equivalent? :mrgreen: ) If the R6's power intimidates you, then consider a smaller bike like a GS500 or Ninja500.

I'm not just bashing suzuki either, I own one of their bikes and I love it. I would just never buy a Kat.

and yes, the 'Busas look PIMP. Especially in the purple/black color scheme.

·
Banned
4,008 Posts
Ok, don't take this the wrong way but if you get the R1, can you install a tank cam so we can watch the impending carnage? You can learn on the 6 if you do it responsibly. don't crack it wide open or try and stunt before you can even balance on the thing. Learn how it behaves when you brake quickly and how it handles with sudden inputs (parking lots a great for this.....empty ones). Be sensible about it and ride defensively.

my too scents.....
i would like to second that motion. :mrgreen:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.