Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I hate chicken strips
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guys, first post for me. I've bought a 1999 R6 5eb (European). I have had loads of issues which I won't bore you with. Most are sorted now but one big one is still there. After getting it on the road I find it is sluggish around 6-8k revs, when I get through it and get to around 11k the bike stutters and looses power and drops to 6k then eventually power is back. We tried changing the fuel mixture on nearly every carb needle and taping up the K&N air filter. After no joy we started looking at coils and ignition ect. When looking in my manual it comes up with fuel pump wiring and relays. But I don't have a fuel pump, the wire is there for it. The pipe off the tank goes straight to the carb's. So my question is are these bikes supposed to have a fuel pump. Is that why I feel like I'm running out of fuel at high speed with more air intake. Probably a stupid question so I'm ready for some abuse:sing. Thanks in advance.

·
I hate chicken strips
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks
Ordered one so fingers crossed. While I'm on it has anyone had starter relay problems, the bike won't start now. Ignition comes on but nothing from the thumb switch no clicks nothing. Tested all switches with a multimeter and all working fine. Any advice in fault finding or anything is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Big ol pile of them bones
1,625 Posts
Fuel pump should be on the brake side beside the shock. Check the kick stand switch & clutch switch and wires for starting issue.

·
I hate chicken strips
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had some more play time on it. Side stand is looped and clutch switch was disconnected. With those two and having a permanent supply to the pump wires even with ignition off has led us to the starter relay assembly. Theres a dodgy loop off the starter relay on to the white block onto the starter relay assemply. The last owner is a complete doosh. Going to replace that, remove said loop and connect switches and see what happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.