Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a Honda shadow 750 for free a few months back, it didn't run. So I fixed it and got my license. I did enjoy that bike a lot more than I thought I would
but I've had wet dreams about squids my whole life.
So I found someone online who had a 2002 R6 with 39k miles who agreed to do an even trade. My 2007 shadow with 33k miles and no papers for his R6 with a clean title.
I went to his place and test rode it. Within a few seconds of WOT I was already gliding down a residential street at speeds my old Honda couldn't hit going downhill. That's all I needed to see to finish the trade.
It's my first time ever riding a sportbike, only thing I've ever rode was the Honda. I'm sure you can imagine the smile on my face, the sudden rush of blood to my nethers, and the beautiful terror in my eyes when I brought it past 8k rpm.
My question is, what should I look out for on these bikes? I've heard about the stator and 2nd gear issues, and he recently had the valves adjusted and a full service & brand new tires.
Are these bikes supposed to vibrate a bit? I feel like mine vibrates a lot but I'm just used to the shadow so idk if that's normal. Im having trouble believing I got this bike for my shadow, something has got to be wrong with it?? Should I expect it to stop working anytime soon given the milage? Idk how long these engines can last.
Also, what is the operating temperature range? He didn't have the owners manual. Highest I've seen it go is 215 F in stop and go traffic for a while on a very hot day; it stays around 180F when moving.
Thanks
Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the brotherhood lol. So it seems like its hot but the thermostat is set between 210-220 as long as you say under 225 your fine. As long as your 02 is like my 03 that is….

its all basic maintenance now. The valve check is the big thing but you said that got done. Now its just maintenance oil, air&oil filter, keep an eye on tires, pressures, and brakes.

Also if you thought 8k was good be careful crossing over 10-11k unless your ready because that when it really wakes up. About 10.4-10.6 mine screams like a bat out of hell and takes off I can never get enough of that feeling

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the brotherhood lol. So it seems like its hot but the thermostat is set between 210-220 as long as you say under 225 your fine. As long as your 02 is like my 03 that is….

its all basic maintenance now. The valve check is the big thing but you said that got done. Now its just maintenance oil, air&oil filter, keep an eye on tires, pressures, and brakes.

Also if you thought 8k was good be careful crossing over 10-11k unless your ready because that when it really wakes up. About 10.4-10.6 mine screams like a bat out of hell and takes off I can never get enough of that feeling
Turns out the dude who sold me the bike lied about the service history so it may need a valve adjustments. Is this something I could do myself with a full set of tools?

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you have done alot of work to bike probably. However for me when it comes to big jobs or crucial ones, i leave it to a shop. The tolerance is fairly tight so i dont want to leave things to chance.
You can always look at a repair manual for it and determine if you think you can.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you have done alot of work to bike probably. However for me when it comes to big jobs or crucial ones, i leave it to a shop. The tolerance is fairly tight so i dont want to leave things to chance.
You can always look at a repair manual for it and determine if you think you can.
I ordered a repair manual, still waiting for it to come. All my tools got stolen recently so I just put together a complete new set. Gotta love harbor freight.
I'm pretty confident I can rebuild the carbs but idk about the value adjustment, I've never done something like that before but it would save me about $1,000 in labor if I did both myself 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
219 Posts
I ordered a repair manual, still waiting for it to come. All my tools got stolen recently so I just put together a complete new set. Gotta love harbor freight.
I'm pretty confident I can rebuild the carbs but idk about the value adjustment, I've never done something like that before but it would save me about $1,000 in labor if I did both myself 🤷‍♂️
If you have the tools and you are technically minded, it's not a hard job checking the valve lash.

If you are already set on cleaning the carbs and that doesn't intimidate you, then you should be able to do the valves no problem.

Pro tip, I pull the engine to adjust the valves. Yes, it can be done on the bike, but, for me, it's worth just pulling the engine.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you have the tools and you are technically minded, it's not a hard job checking the valve lash.

If you are already set on cleaning the carbs and that doesn't intimidate you, then you should be able to do the valves no problem.

Pro tip, I pull the engine to adjust the valves. Yes, it can be done on the bike, but, for me, it's worth just pulling the engine.
I've never pulled the engine out of a bike, but that's probably a good idea. What kind of equipment would I need for that?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've never pulled the engine out of a bike, but that's probably a good idea. What kind of equipment would I need for that?
A 3/8" ratchet, couple sockets, some 3/8 drive Allen's and a pic or something for the connectors.

Oh, and that specialty socket for the castle nuts if you go that far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A 3/8" ratchet, couple sockets, some 3/8 drive Allen's and a pic or something for the connectors.

Oh, and that specialty socket for the castle nuts if you go that far.
What about a lift or something to get the engine out?

·
Registered
219 Posts
What about a lift or something to get the engine out?
Not necessary, handy though.

Put a low profile jack under the oil pan after you remove the radiator and headers with the bike on a rear stand. Then take out the front motor mounts and the top one. Lower the jack slowly to walk the engine down. Remove the jack. Remove the last motor mount.

Easy peasy.

I don't use a jack. Been known to drop the engine in my lap and then pull my legs out from under the bike though.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your bike is shim under bucket style of valve adjustment. Gonna need a micrometer and a shim kit. Gonna have to remove the cams. Inch pound and ft pound torque wrench. Def give the manual a read over first.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Pay someone to set valve lash. If you have no experience setting lash ever before on rockers without shims then for this style WITH shims Id probably take it to the shop. Is the valvetrain loud when it warms up? If you arent turning it 12-14k rpm+ regularly and its not loud id just ride it dude.. That said if you have the money to spare you could go have the valves ran before the season starts. Just my .2. Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've been noticing the bike running kind of inconsistently. Had a pretty big power drop riding today while bringing it up to about 13k. First thing I want to do before I try adjusting the valves is checking the spark plugs, coils, and taking apart and cleaning the carbs. I'm pretty confident the bike is running lean, I'm not sure what symptoms bad valve clearances cause though.
I need to get a carb synchronizer though, anyone have any experience with particular manometers? Really don't want to spend $100+ on one

·
Registered
19 Posts
The power drop off could be many things. Why you think lean? How cold where you live rn? Could certainly be excessive lash too. Keep in mind .015-.020" is probably enough to make a noticeable difference. To add context a piece of your hair is about .005" thick.. Id get the tank propped up, check air filter, replace fuel filter, replace plugs and eliminate some things while doing needed(probably if he lied about service) maintaince. How old is gas? Put fresh 93 in it, non-ethanol if possible.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The power drop off could be many things. Why you think lean? How cold where you live rn? Could certainly be excessive lash too. Keep in mind .015-.020" is probably enough to make a noticeable difference. To add context a piece of your hair is about .005" thick.. Id get the tank propped up, check air filter, replace fuel filter, replace plugs and eliminate some things while doing needed(probably if he lied about service) maintaince. How old is gas? Put fresh 93 in it, non-ethanol if possible.
Sometimes the bike stalls when sharply pulling throttle at idle, and when giving it gas in neutral the revs slowly drop back down. Not very often, the idle will jump up (when the bike is at temp). I live in Ca so it's warm, I keep 91 in it (hard to find 93 here and impossible to find gas with no ethanol unfortunately). I put some fuel additive in last time I filled up, suppossed to clean the carbs. I didn't really expect it to do anything, I haven't noticed any difference. I'm taking the tank off now to get a better look at everything.
I ordered a service manual and it was supposed to get here today but nothing ever arrives on time in California.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sometimes the bike stalls when sharply pulling throttle at idle, and when giving it gas in neutral the revs slowly drop back down. Not very often, the idle will jump up (when the bike is at temp). I live in Ca so it's warm, I keep 91 in it (hard to find 93 here and impossible to find gas with no ethanol unfortunately). I put some fuel additive in last time I filled up, suppossed to clean the carbs. I didn't really expect it to do anything, I haven't noticed any difference. I'm taking the tank off now to get a better look at everything.
I ordered a service manual and it was supposed to get here today but nothing ever arrives on time in California.
Howd it look? My first r6 was a 1st gen too. If the bike has sat awhile that California gas probably got the carb all gummed up. Welcome to the r6 family buddy, im sure you'll get it figured out and learn somethings while doing so lol.. Im no bike mechanic, just a machinist whos had some r6'. Have fun! Sometimes I forget thats what its all about :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Howd it look? My first r6 was a 1st gen too. If the bike has sat awhile that California gas probably got the carb all gummed up. Welcome to the r6 family buddy, im sure you'll get it figured out and learn somethings while doing so lol.. Im no bike mechanic, just a machinist whos had some r6'. Have fun! Sometimes I forget thats what its all about :)
The air filter was disgusting! Fuel filter was really bad too. The condition of the spark plugs were laughable and they were barely finger tight. Gaps were about 50% too big too.
I just finished cleaning & lubing the chain as well as bleeding the ancient brake fluid front & back and putting in a new K&N air filter, new fuel filter, new plugs correctly torqued in with anti seize & dielectric grease, and have a set of new coils on the way since the stock ones were out of spec, primary and secondary. If this tune up doesn't solve the issues, and im betting it won't, I'll order a jet kit, manometer to sync the carbs, and some gaskets. Considering the dynojet stage 1 kit but if you or anyone else knows a good kit please lmk.
If the jet kit, sync, and clean doesn't do it, then I'll adjust the valves lol my manual finally came tonight so working on it is easier now.
I recently put together a pretty damn good set of tools (someone broke into my storage locker and stole all my old tools) from Harbor Freight & pawn shops/used tool stores. Maybe spent a little over $1,000 for a rear tire stand & pretty much every tool I'll need and then some, all in a US General tool cart which is perfect for my apartment's garage. Dewalt drill & impact wrench too, for a little razzle dazzle. First time ever going to a Harbor Freight, kind of addicted now. Bought a tap and die set the other day, no idea why...
Anyways,.. It's a really fun bike to work on, fairly easy and straightforward (famous last words).

·
Registered
19 Posts
The air filter was disgusting! Fuel filter was really bad too. The condition of the spark plugs were laughable and they were barely finger tight. Gaps were about 50% too big too.
I just finished cleaning & lubing the chain as well as bleeding the ancient brake fluid front & back and putting in a new K&N air filter, new fuel filter, new plugs correctly torqued in with anti seize & dielectric grease, and have a set of new coils on the way since the stock ones were out of spec, primary and secondary. If this tune up doesn't solve the issues, and im betting it won't, I'll order a jet kit, manometer to sync the carbs, and some gaskets. Considering the dynojet stage 1 kit but if you or anyone else knows a good kit please lmk.
If the jet kit, sync, and clean doesn't do it, then I'll adjust the valves lol my manual finally came tonight so working on it is easier now.
I recently put together a pretty damn good set of tools (someone broke into my storage locker and stole all my old tools) from Harbor Freight & pawn shops/used tool stores. Maybe spent a little over $1,000 for a rear tire stand & pretty much every tool I'll need and then some, all in a US General tool cart which is perfect for my apartment's garage. Dewalt drill & impact wrench too, for a little razzle dazzle. First time ever going to a Harbor Freight, kind of addicted now. Bought a tap and die set the other day, no idea why...
Anyways,.. It's a really fun bike to work on, fairly easy and straightforward (famous last words).
Im surprised it even RAN like that. You'll REALLY think its a fn rocketship(and it is) when it gets proper air, fuel and spark.. Glad you got those issues eliminated. Havent tried it yet?
Aftermarket exuaust? Id leave the factory jets in it if it has factory exuaust. Thats just me. I had full Yoshi on my 2000, had Stage 3 jet but with full exuaust it needs some jet for sure. I bought it from 2nd owner who had reciepts from shop that installed pipe that say "stage 3". Idk manufacturer of jet kit.
Yeah it was straight forward and actually kinda fun when my Haynes came in:) Tbh im thinking its gonna come around when you put new coils on and get it back together.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Plug manufacturers actually advise against any oil, grease or anti seize on plugs. It interferes with the ground connection from the plug to the block and can interfere with fire. Same with dielectric on the coils. Manufacturers advise against it.

Glad you got your manual bud and glad you put some tools together. I've had tools stolen here and there and it sucks. I can't abide thieves in general, but the kind of thief that would steal a man's livelihood? There is a special place in hell.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts