Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Plug manufacturers actually advise against any oil, grease or anti seize on plugs. It interferes with the ground connection from the plug to the block and can interfere with fire. Same with dielectric on the coils. Manufacturers advise against it.

Glad you got your manual bud and glad you put some tools together. I've had tools stolen here and there and it sucks. I can't abide thieves in general, but the kind of thief that would steal a man's livelihood? There is a special place in hell.
I'm suprised it ran as well as it did, still waiting on the coils. Tracking says Tuesday. I also just ordered a jet kit, carb sync tool, fairing kit, and a few tools/gaskets I'll need to finish the job.
I've seen plug manufacturers advise against it, but after taking the old NGK coils out and seeing how they look, I think a little anti seize is a good idea lol I don't trust the coating especially when used in an aluminum engine. Dielectric grease will keep moisture out, my bike doesn't have the oem plastic cover that goes over the coils for some reason. Can't hurt to use a little bit. Getting the coils out was a pain in the ass! With a little grease it won't be so hard next time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My bike has a four brothers exhaust and a K&N air filter so I got a jet kit, hopefully it works well lol if not I'll return it and clean the stock jets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm suprised it ran as well as it did, still waiting on the coils. Tracking says Tuesday. I also just ordered a jet kit, carb sync tool, fairing kit, and a few tools/gaskets I'll need to finish the job.
I've seen plug manufacturers advise against it, but after taking the old NGK coils out and seeing how they look, I think a little anti seize is a good idea lol I don't trust the coating especially when used in an aluminum engine. Dielectric grease will keep moisture out, my bike doesn't have the oem plastic cover that goes over the coils for some reason. Can't hurt to use a little bit. Getting the coils out was a pain in the ass! With a little grease it won't be so hard next time.
I think R6 is known to be a relatively pretty bullet proof on reliability thus why so popular. I owned several Ducati and they were very very sensitive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I put the new plugs & filters in and the difference is huge, runs much better & throttle response improved a lot. Still not perfect, I think the coils and a sync should be it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Drove it today and really gave it the beans. Pulled pretty good, I still feel like it has more to give though. While I was WOT to redline, one time it stuttered pretty bad on the way up. Still gets the front wheel up in 1st but that didn't feel too good. Only happened once but I didn't drive it very long. Could that be a misfire from the bad coils? Could it be the valves needing to be adjusted?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Now that I think about it, I think that power cut I described might be the infamous 1st gen 2nd gear issue... An expensive fix, assuming I won't be able to do it myself, right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I put new coils, plugs, and a factory pro jet kit in. Waiting on my lithium battery to come. Got a new stator and rectifier that I'm installing Sunday.
After some carb tuning and a sync, the bike was running way better. Until the battery went out on me.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts