Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not on my 6, but while driving my car. i drive a 94 honda civic hatchback, full lip kit, aftermarket rims, aftermarket hood, gauges, tachometer, and polished control arms (i know i'm guilty of being a RICER). i've had my car like this for four years, when the import/ricer scene was just skyrocketing and never came around to switching things back.
the story...
i come to a four way stop intersection. the chp was directly in front of me, his front facing me. he pulls into the intersection diagonally and tells me to pull over. and of course i did. he said my car looks too low(its lowered, but nothing like what you'd normally see), asks for license, reg. etc. i gave it to him.
he comes back and ask me to pop the hood. without hesitating, i did. everything under the hood is completely stock, except for a k&n intake. my fault for not having a carb number on it. anyways, he starts giving me all these bull shit. i might not be an expert with cars, but i do know a few things. i told him he was wrong at most of the things he pointed out, and he realized i was right and he wasn't. i started getting really irritated by this cop and raised my voice a little. man, did that get him mad. we were outside, in the 90 degree weather, arguing for about 10-15 mins. finally, he starts measuring the height of my front, with a freaking night stick. he said he didn't have a measuring tape. i pulled over onto unleveled ground, with loose gravel. and i pointed that out. so he said the driver side seems more leveled than the left so he'll measure that side. he said my car was too low, it being 21 in. the minimum is 22 in. and his night stick was 24 in. he said his estimates were as acurate as they can be, BULLSHIT!!! so he writes me a ticket for my intake and car too lowered.
***i measured my car when i got home and its about 22 inches.
**i freakin hate cops that have nothing better to do, but to pull people over for doing nothing wrong.
sorry for the long post.

·
Registered
206 Posts
that sucks i woulda lost it... haha

·
USC
551 Posts
if he says ur car was 21 and the minimum was 22 inches and u measured 22.

fight it. pictures evidence.
accurate ruler vs night stick?
really?

and the intake u cant really fight...unless k & n has some back up but i doubt it.

cop was jus lookin to harrass u. IMO.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
i woulda refused to pop the hood, last i checked, he doesnt have that right unless you consent. also, fight the tickets, the only thing they can make you do know is pay the fine, which you would do if you didnt fight it.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Fight that ticket. Get a lawyer and fight it. If anything, have your lawyer ask the police officer to point to the place on his nightstick that is exactly 19 inches from the tip. If he can't, or is off by an inch, his whole argument is shot. If he can't identify 19 inches, he sure can't identify 21 or 22. You will win with a lawyer.

·
Registered
140 Posts
equipment violations don't add points to your license...i'm not sure paying a lawyer would be worth it. contesting it yourself is definitely worth a shot though for the suspension ticket.

this is from K&N's website...
"13. Are K&N filters emissions legal?

All K&N direct replacement filters are emissions legal. They perform the same function as other types of disposable filters and fit right into the factory air box. K&N’s custom, universal or conical air filters are not legal for street use in California or other states that have emission control standards. However, if the intake system you are attaching a K&N cone filter to is CARB exempt, the K&N cone filter will not change that status and will be part of the exempt system. Check your local laws if you are unsure what modifications may be allowed on your vehicle.

14. Are K&N performance air intake systems emissions legal in the US?

All intake systems are legal in most states because most states do not have regulations governing them. So this question really has to do with California and other states that have emission control standards. In order for an intake system to be legal in these states, it must receive an Exemption in the form of an EO number from the California Air Resources Board (CARB). To further complicate matters CARB exemption is issued only for specific part numbers used on specific vehicles. That means a part number can be CARB exempt for some vehicle applications and not others. There is no such thing as CARB Pending. A particular part number on a particular vehicle is either exempt or not. The best way for you to determine the status of the part number you are interested in for your vehicle is to look up the intake systems available for your vehicle in our vehicle/part search engine and check for CARB exemption. If you are unsure whether CARB exemption is required for a part to be legal in your state, check with your local or state motor vehicle or emissions agency."

whichever one you have is illegal in cali. i don't think you can win the intake one. i've learned the hard way that they cannot make you do anything but identify yourself pretty much (plus sobriety tests) so i would never consent to anything without a warrant.

more often than not i've heard of people cooperating, then getting more tickets than if they hadn't cooperated.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't get why an air intake would affect emissions. All you people out there in CA sure have let your state get really f'ing weird over the years. Of course, at least you still have jobs and an economy :(

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
fight it yourself there is no way that cop is going to show up to court to fight back and a judge is going to laugh at the the fact he tried to measure something with a night stick! if he didnt have the right equipment he never should have written the ticket cause ur just going to get out of it

·
R Sexiness
1,139 Posts
as I mentioned in another thread, I wouldn't count on that. They get paid overtime to come to court.
if its a state cop they might but town cops dont waste their time fought a few in my day

·
I eat YOUR MOM
2,110 Posts
what a prick!!! that sucks, i got rid of my rice burner when i was 21. its been 5 years since then and i used to get pulled over all the f-ing time. since then i got a 05 F-150 and bought my wife a Hummer we never get harrased in our whips. no ones worried about a man on his way. they see your car and say "punk ass kid whos probably up to no good!!"

btw i would fight it! if he doesn't show you win, and if he does theres still a chance of winning. you got nothing to lose by trying.

·
FTW
83 Posts
I was driving south on I95 a while back going around 85 mph (a little faster than the rest of traffic - speed limit 70) in my non-modified 1998 Eclipse. There was another driver in a later model Eclipse driving behind me at the same speed. (Same color, but slightly modified... spoiler, rims, etc). This cop comes up behind us and just starts tailgating the Eclipse behind me (at this point we both slowed down to the speed limit)... for like 5 miles... and then pulls him over. Not sure what happened after that...

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
I got a ticket because the supercharger on my Mustang back in the day went swoosh! It even said it on the ticket? WTF??? I won the court case because a car making a swoosh noise isn't illegal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know what the CA state req's are. Where are you measuring from? or where did the cop measure from?

If I remember correctly (been out of the scene for a few years now) my Integra was 18" from the center of the headlight to the ground. Never had any problems.

:werd
As people stated above, definitely take pictures to court and fight it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.