Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im 18 and im thinking of buying a new R6 in the fall, before i buy it i want to do the MSF. My question is, is it a smart think to buy new for a first bike. I have lots of motorcyle riding expirence, but not streetbike. Ive been racing motocross for 6 years. ive even one a few races, and even almost mastered a weelie on a Kx 125 dirtbike.

I also have a squeaky clean driving record, and im going to look into insurance for the motorcycle before i buy it becasue i herd it could be expensive. Im pretty shure i can handle it, i would just feel more comftorable with someone elses opinion. thanks for your time

Oh yes I will be a new member of the motorcycle world, oh yes...

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i also have rode dirtbikes since i was a wee one and i bought the R6 as my first street bike. i think with the knowledge you will get about street riding from the MSF course and your ability to actually ride a motorcycle pretty well would make the R6 a good bike for you. but i will warn you, the R6 has a bunch more power then your dirtbikes do and will still take some gettin used to. so just take it a little slower then you think you should and get used to the way the bike handles cause it to is completely different then your dirtbike :cheers

oh ya and post a pic when you get one :mrgreen:

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
I also took the leap from dirt to street. My '04 R6 is my first street bike. To be honest, all I did is look at all the sportbike 600cc's available (because I didn't want a 1L) and I picked the R6 purely on looks, although that Kawi 6R in the silver looks pretty tight. For some reason I'm just not a fan of the undertail exhaust (cross off the CBR) and Suzuki just can't get a color scheme down that doesn't make me want to vomit.

·
Registered
277 Posts
the 6 was my first bike ever, no dirt bike experience. as long as you can keep a level head and control of yourself, you should be fine, just know your limits.q

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah the 04 R6 is my first street bike but I have been riding dirtbikes since I was 12 (im 20 now) and I didnt have a problem with it, just had to get used to leaning for the turns. It is ALOT faster to haha.

BE4TNUT

·
Registered
75 Posts
the o4 r6 was my first sportbike also. i owned many dirtbikes; 00yz426,93 yz250, 82 yz125, i also rode a 97 Yam V-max. I am very pleased with the r6. the r6 is definantly fast enough to hurt you but if you are experienced racing dirtbikes you can make the transition if you are smart. but if you hurt your self i told you to be careful!!!

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
R6 = 1st bike?

Yes it can be done; but not by everyone.
Should it be done? - not by everyone.

It really comes down to how squid (dumb) you will end up doing just fine. If not, you will end up rubber side up.

Have fun on a bike, and take it easy. Respect the power and you'll have a ride of your life.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
hell theres no tellin what the 05 will look like man. it might go to an undertail like the R1 so you may want to get the 04 if you like the way it looks, besides you can get a hell of a deal right now on em since the 05s are startin to come out :cheers

·
( o Y o )
62 Posts
yippee-ki-yay

im gonna be slightly pessimistic (if i spelled that right) here hockeyfanman....i have also ridden dirtbikes for a feeewwwww years and just recently bought my 6.....about two months ago....if you have no sportbike experience then you are in for a ride, a serious fast ride...

im also 18 as of april and bought my bike....to this point i love it...but holy shit just thinking about it scares the **** out of me...it will be a whole new experience....also with the street course streetbikes can be kinda tough with some of the turning requirements for the stage checks....(meant for high speed turning)....but youll have fun just remember to keep the pointy side forward and the dirty side down....and KEEP control of that throttle....the power is there and it wants out...insurance for me was like this in central ohio with your squeeky clean driving record...

full coverage (per year with 3 month layup)

$4300 - $7000+

liability (only)

$800 - $1400

i recommend you buy a used one....but like i said.... "I recommend"
its just a matter of time before i **** up or someone fucks me up so it might as well be a bike i can afford to payoff ( no full coverage if you couldnt tell)

my two cents and everyone ride safe and ride fun....

we lost another rider this weekend
not sure who or what kind of bike but someone t-boned the poor guy and they medflighted him out of the airport where i work..

later all

-seth

[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts