Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike ran prior

Yesterday i was watching vids on what my small little tick could be in my 02 r6 and went out and tried adjusting my tensioner , went to start bike and it did not start , dug into the timing chain and centered every mark and still not starting .

Keep in mind the bike ran prior to messing with it.
Im so mad at myself for touching it.
Now i hate youtube. I ordered an ape tentioner but i dont know if its gonna solve my problem , anyone out there able to walk me through this i cant find the correct manual online for it.
Please and Thankyou

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
What do you mean by “tried to adjust your tensioner”? There isn’t a way to adjust the OEM tensioner. It self-adjusts. What exactly did you do?

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,403 Posts
Sounds like you need to clarify what, where, why.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well on a video , a guy said use a small screw driver and adjust the tensioner, if i had known the not to part beforehand i wouldnt have touched it . My ape tensioner came in today im hoping i can switch it out and solve my issue

·
YZFR6... ooodles of HP
1,403 Posts
Only the mounting bolts are accessable from the exterior. If it had a nut and shaft then you have a non oem tensioner.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Do all the marks line up correctly, now? And did you have to movethe chain on any of the sprockets to get them to line up afterwards?

you’ll need to take the valve cover off and slowly rotate the engine by hand while watching the valve springs. If any of them don’t appear to be moving with the cam fully, or any of them looks wonky, you have bent valves

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the valve cover the top cover with the cams and top of the timing chain or is the valve cover in a different spot . This is exactly what im trying to figure out . I have the top cover off atm

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do all the marks line up correctly, now? And did you have to movethe chain on any of the sprockets to get them to line up afterwards?

you’ll need to take the valve cover off and slowly rotate the engine by hand while watching the valve springs. If any of them don’t appear to be moving with the cam fully, or any of them looks wonky, you have bent valves
So if my valve springs arent moving i need to replace my valves correct

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If any of them aren’t following the cam lobe, yes that valve is bent
With that , do i need to replace springs and all or just the valve part? Or is it a mystery until i see .
If any of them aren’t following the cam lobe, yes that valve is bent
I just realized what im seeing , the cam lobes are pushing the valves down

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
Replacing valves... and the associated head work gets expensive very fast on these bikes. Exhaust valves are going to be about $60 each, intake valves $30 each, valve guides will run about $40 each (and you should replace the guides on any valve that’s bent). The guides have to be pressed into the head and honed to fit the valve stem. All this should be done by a machine shop.
Most of the time it is more cost effective to find a good used head and replace the whole thing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I baught a new used cylander head, with that said after having it cleaned i can basically install it and have someone set my timing and i SHOULD be good to go right?

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,380 Posts
If you are going to have someone else do the cam timing, DON’T install the cams.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey buddy i noticed next to the tensioner there is a hose on first cylinder on the engine, it shoots over to 3rd, but its broken at the first cylinder would that cause the bike not to.start?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.