Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tipped my 2002 r6 over on the right side so the oil cover got scratched and the right peg broke in half. i was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions. first, the oil cover, is it just o ver of some sort, or if i take it off will oil leak all over the place? would i have to draing my oil first before i replace the cover? basically, how do i replace the cover?
for the right peg, how do i remove the old broken one and replace it with the new one? the new one i have is just the peg part, it isnt the whole bracket and brake pedal, its just the peg.

·
Registered
102 Posts
hey dude you joking about the peg huh........?????

best way is to just look how the old one comes off and replace the other one exactly the same way...!

as for the oil cover what you on about???? do you mean engine casing????

if you do,
lean your bike against a wall so it's at abit of an angle so all the oil falls to the opposite side your working on then undo case screws. you may need a new gasket too if you **** up your other one!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I just did the right peg a few weeks ago....I used a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel and cut off the rivot looking part of the rod that goes through the peg. Then the peg came right off.

To attach the new one I went and bought a metric allen head screw and a nut that fit on it....ran that through the new peg and the nut holds it on... I can take a pic if you need me too. THe entire job took me about 15 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you could take a picture of the peg that would be great.

and for the oil cover, its the one on the right side of the bike that shows in the middle fairing, since the bike would be already leaning to the left when it sits on the kick stand, how come id need to lean it on a wall?

let me know,
thanks.

·
MotoGP Groupie
157 Posts
To replace it remove all of the screws, and gently pull the cover off. A little oil might leak out but this is normal, just make sure you have some rags to wipe up the excess. if you are going to replace the cover, you should remove the sensor on the inside, and transfer to the new cover. All of the bolts are metric hex heads, except the sensors which are #2 Phillips head, you will also need some yamaseal, and a new gasket.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
102 Posts
guessr6 said:
and for the oil cover, its the one on the right side of the bike that shows in the middle fairing, since the bike would be already leaning to the left when it sits on the kick stand, how come id need to lean it on a wall?
sorry mine don't have a side stand on! only tryin to help.....!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey, even though i took off all the screws, there is a notch sticking out at the top left side of the, and when you try and pull the cover off, it just barely hits the part of the frame. do you know what i mean? and there are two small prongs, one on the bottom left and one on the right that are stuck to the cover, so this prevents me from being able to just slide the cover off. anyone experience this? or have any ideas, without cutting or breaking anything on how to get the cover off?

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts
okay i got this pic from another forum. it sort of looks similar to the '03. is it the cover with the scratch on it in the pic?

if it is, then just take off all the bolts and move the cable and hose bracket. you might have to tap the cover with a rubber mallet. once its loose you should be able to pry it up a bit. there should be 2 small metal like dowels(i forgot if its hollow or not) that sit between the crank case and cover. this pieces are to prevent the cover from sliding side to side and so the cover goes on one way. once those are out the cover should be able to slide out to one side to clear the frame. now to remove the sensor you are gonna need an impact screwdriver to remove the screws for the sensor. when i changed the covers on my bike i think it was a torx type screw. but an impact screw driver, hammer and a stool should do the trick. the stool is to rest the cover on it while you use your impact screw driver to remove the screws. the 2 wires for the sensor is not long enough for you to put on you work bench, well if you unplug the unit from under the tank, then its possible. once you remove the sensor clean up the engine case to get rid of any left over gasket material and/or silicone. after that just install the sensor and cover with new gasket. dont forget to put a dab of silicone on the rubber grommet for the sensor and on the block where the upper and lower engine block meets.

if its the other cover, the one to add oil in and has the clutch packs then i typed all this for nothing because i never did that one yet. :cheers

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
that is exactly the cover i am trying to replace. now you said there are two metal dowels right, those are what is preventing me from taking it off, but if i pry it up enough the cover will come loose and i can slide it off? are those dowels connected to the cover or are the connected to the case (the part connected to the bike)?

thanks for all your help man.

·
flyin' hawaiian
2,812 Posts

okay my mistake, there is only one dowel, #18. are you able to pull the cover away from the crank case? what portion of the cover cant move?

now the for the dowel. when i changed my cover the dowel just fell out. i had to figure out where it came from. but i did notice it did stick a little at the top close to the rubber, half moon plug near the top of the cover. i just slowly pulled the cover off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry, i had to start school this week so i havent had time to post and read replys.

when i try to pull the cover off, the dowel doesnt fall out when i tried the first time, ill try again this weekend and try to take the dowel out and see if that works.

does anyone have an idea of how to take the peg off with out cutting anything. i have just the peg part that i bought from yamaha, it comes with the little joint part as well that allows the peg to move up and down.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have successfully replaced the oil cover, thanks for the help. it is greatly appreciated.

does any one know how to replace the right peg near the foot brake? i took off the two bolts holding the whole unit to the bike, and flipped it around and tried to take the bolt behind the peg off, but when i turn it counterclockwise, it loosens a little bit and then gets tighter, so i tried turning it clockwise, and that just tightents it. so basically im stumped on how to take that screw off. Do i need an impact screwdriver or something? well let me know..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.