Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I think i found my first bike but I dont know if its legit or not... I found the bike online and its being sold for a pretty cheap price because its a Repo... the bike is a 2007 in perfect condition with less than 5k miles and he'll sell it to me 5k plus 300 for shipping. hes asking for 1600 deposit then the rest on delivery of bike. My dad will be where the bike is on sunday so he can go look at it before its shipped. i have USAA so im going to set the money transfer up through them. Do you kno if there is any way of insuring my 1600 to make sure i dont get screwed?? would love ANY advice! thanks

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
don't wire money for out of state purchases. either get the $$ to your dad, and have him pick it up with a title, or don't do it. WAY too risky. even eBay tells you to not do this and they're only worried about earning money. if they so no, then be weary of it. my two cents.

plus, you could spend the $300 on gas to get there to pick it up instead of shipping, just to be sure it's legit.

·
Raven got its makeover
508 Posts
+1 on that man

i almost got caught up in some crap like this too for a GTO....dont do it, i repeat DO NOT send any money anywhere without seeing the product first and make sure the person you are buying from is legit

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
its in florida and i've talked to the guy on the phone already. i havent mentioned the part about my dad going to look at it. I still need it shipped to south texas however
take a SW airlines one-way flight out there... if it's b.s., buy another one back. it's cheaper than being out $1600 b/c you got taken. seriously, PLEASE dont' do anything stupid. i'd hate to read about you getting taken, man.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha yes i've made that drive several times before. I've actually looked into a SW ticket out there for next week because my family will be on there however SW doesnt fly to panama city and other tickets are like 650 one way. I think im just going to call him again and tell him I'll give him the 1600 deposit in cash when my dad sees the bike and money wire the rest of it upon arrival. if he gets all shady then i'll tell him to F off and continue my agonizing search for the right r6

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
I don't think there is a person on here who will advise you to do this. Even if this guy is legit, why take the chance? I'd rather lose money flying, busing or even taking a train out there to pay, have title in hand and get to know her on a nice ride on the way back home than send a $1600 deposit and be left wondering every day "where's my bike - where's my $1600??".

Dude, take the advise, please. If you can't get out there and get it now, or have your dad get it and keep it till you can get out there, then however good this deal is, it's not for you!

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
at least you will be on a bike for the swamp ride

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah thanx guys... thats why i posted because you guys can talk some sense into me. I always do my research and have talked to my bank about it to see what they thought and I've decided there is no way im just sending the guy any money up front. The big thing that throws me off is how he said he will ship it anymore continental US for only 300. all other places ive looked up say it cost about 550 or more to ship

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
the $300 for shipping didn't raise any red flags with me b/c it's within the amount that is deemed "right" for a bike shipment. usually, from the research i've done in the past, crating is about $100 and if he's already got a crate there, shipping will be cheaper. look at college town classifieds too... i started there, b/c there were ALWAYS sweet deals at A&M of people just getting rid of their "college bikes" b/c of this and that...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well Agg thanx for making me go look through all the big cities again on craigslist... I found my '03 limited and he said he'll drive it down to me tonight. I just have to wire the 300 its going to cost him to bring it down on a trailer from IronHorse located where he is. I'm getting it with new tires and only 8k miles on it

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
spend zero dollars.....If that seller wants to sell that bike to you...He would drive it down there and pick up the money.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Yea do it, sounds like an awesome deal! this is the same thing as the craiglist posting when they want to sell the bike for cheap and everyone of them has lost their husband and looking to get ird of the bike...not one person takes cash on the spot though cause its safer to do ebay motors transactions and pay for shipping to let me try the bike out...hahaah freakin morons, people are! 5k is to cheap for an 07 anyway. Why he selling this bike?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Why dont you do this...apply for a zero% finance credit card...go to dealer and by now you can prob walk out with an 07 ( if any left) for 8k out the door. Pay monthly to pay off the 3 grand leaving you with a total of 5 that you would have spent on this bike and then pay of that ammount! Simple, new bike, u got the title!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well Agg thanx for making me go look through all the big cities again on craigslist... I found my '03 limited and he said he'll drive it down to me tonight. I just have to wire the 300 its going to cost him to bring it down on a trailer from IronHorse located where he is. I'm getting it with new tires and only 8k miles on it

No what ur getting is a debit in youre checking account for a total loss of 300dollars.

·
Premium Member
30,458 Posts
dude, you're killin' me! :) wiring money for a bike, site unseen, was the problem from the get go, not the amount of the wire. meet him half way. just remember the feeling that made you first post about the FL bike... some people call that "gut feelings" or "red flags" or "sixth sense". whatever it was, you've got it. if you can remember that, make sure you don't get that feeling again and choose to ignore it JUST to get a bike right now. deferred gratification is the best kind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts