Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I instantly realized it is a better bike. I had no problems going through the turns. I thought the gearing is way better. You do not have to ride the bike hard to get power out of it. the fat rear tire hugs the road much better. The suspension is like butter, the bumps don't affect the bike much at all. The r6 may be good for the track but the r1 is Way better for any sort of street!!!!!! AND the R1 looks better. I know what i need to do now, get an R1.:love:yes

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I instantly realized it is a better bike. I had no problems going through the turns. I thought the gearing is way better. You do not have to ride the bike hard to get power out of it. the fat rear tire hugs the road much better. The suspension is like butter, the bumps don't affect the bike much at all. The r6 may be good for the track but the r1 is Way better for any sort of street!!!!!! AND the R1 looks better. I know what i need to do now, get an R1.:love:yes
:roll:

·
Registered
413 Posts
I am sure it is a wonderful bike. I plan on getting an R1 this summer :YEA

·
USC
552 Posts
correction. YOU instantly realized it is a better bike for YOU.

there thats better :)
but congrats r1's do look nice.
if only r6's had projectors too

·
Banned
441 Posts
Um they have pretty much the same suspension. The R6's is actually more adjustable I do believe, I could be wrong. The gearing isn't better it just has more power. Looks better?!?! Haha who are you kidding? Fatter rear tire hugs the curves better... Yeah that whole .5 cm on each side. It might have something to do with the fact that your riding used 05 R6 and comparing it to a new 07 R1. Try riding an 08 R6.... You might change your mind...

·
Registered
90 Posts
after going from my 99 r1 to 08 r6 the r6 is much more fun , the r1 was better on long runs but the 6 is so much more fun on the twisty's :)

·
Oorah!
1,140 Posts
R6's can do laps around the R1's any day. Just gotta have the right rider. R1's just have too much power for me to be having fun. It's ok for going distant places, just not for everyday fun riding.

·
47 Posts
Im an R1 guy and unless that bike already had different sprockets, the gearing is not better. Stock 17/45 tooth R1 gearing sucks. First gear is loooooooooong. On my first 05R1 I hit 114mph in 1st gear. Going from a stop sucks because you are feeding out the clutch forever.

·
47 Posts
R6's can do laps around the R1's any day. Just gotta have the right rider. R1's just have too much power for me to be having fun. It's ok for going distant places, just not for everyday fun riding.
A CRF50 will do laps around any bike depending on the rider, so thats kind of a moot point. As for an R1 not being a fun everyday bike, you couldnt be more wrong.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im an R1 guy and unless that bike already had different sprockets, the gearing is not better. Stock 17/45 tooth R1 gearing sucks. First gear is loooooooooong. On my first 05R1 I hit 114mph in 1st gear. Going from a stop sucks because you are feeding out the clutch forever.
The sprockets were changed. Im not saying the r6 is bad, it is lots of fun, but for street R1. It's faster. If the rider can get the thing around corners fast then the twisties are just as good as the r6. You are right about the first gear thingy.

·
Banned
441 Posts
HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY NEED FAST FOR THE STREET? Read what you just said. For the street. HA! That was the biggest squid comment if ive ever seen one. A good rider can go faster on the 6 through the twisties.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
im sorry to tell you this but my r1, is the only bike that can give me the rush i need.
My r6 is second place compare to the liter.

·
47 Posts
A good rider can go faster on the 6 through the twisties.
Tell that to the Bostroms this past weekend at Barber:

No. Best time Session Rider name Hometown Bike
155 01:27.293 Ben D. Bostrom Malibu, CA Yamaha YZF-R6
32 01:25.711 Eric Bostrom Malibu, CA Yamaha YZF-R1

Im only using the Bostroms as an example because they generally run similar lap times on the same bikes. The 600 vs 1000 laptimes are pretty much always going to be in the 1000's favor. I like R6's just as much as the next guy, but thats just how it is.

·
07 Charcoal Grey R6
760 Posts
A R6 would probably do better on a more technical course but really the absolute truth is the liter will win the majority of the time folks. All things considered there is no replacement for displacement in this scenario. The weight is down on liter bikes and the handling is well sorted to a point some experienced riders will tell you that the difference is minimal. It's coming down to rider in technical areas and sheer power out of corners, in straights etc. I still want another R1 and even more so after reading this thread.

·
I eat R6s... 07 R1
323 Posts
i never rode the 08 R6 but my 07 R1 is way better in mostly every compared to the 03-05 R6. If you do any highway the R1 is fast fun handles excellent at high speeds and doesnt take any time at all to get there. The gearing must be changed right away since its a race bike designed for a race track and not the street so the gearing must be shorter. Same goes with the R6, i bet most of you swapped out your front for a -1. For riding 2 up its also way better. And the newer liter bikes are lighter and smaller where it just takes a little getting used to for you to see its really a more all around comfortable bike (for a bigger guy) If you're a smaller person under 5 10, 5 11 than id never get a liter bike- the 600 is all youll ever need unless you want extreme. Id say the R6 in the turns YES its better and YES it might be more fun to rip around on but its more work. I see the liter bike as more of a top of the line BMW sports car and the R6 is more like a 350z. Theres a bike for every one and every thing out there and i say try them all till you get one that fits! Oh and dont bother trying to pull away from a liter bike on a straight :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts