Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a set of bodywork for my race bike over the summer. It looked ok so I didn't bother to mount it up (mistake). I tried to mount it today and it seems that holes are off, tail does not fit etc.

Holes in the tail section that suppose to mount around the rider's seat are wider than on 03-05 bodywork. Lower section does not have enough room for exhaust headers, and upper seems too wide as well.

Does this sound like 99-02 bodywork to you?

·
Not DoD Blocked
2,339 Posts
pics are bad, looks wrong but i cant really tell, i'm sure someone here will notice something i can't see.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i have a 02, the tail section isn't 02, thats all i can really make out of the pics....the lower MAY be 02 as well, favors mine but the mounting holes look off a bit

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are mounting points on the lower fairing where my other 03+ bodywork has nothing. Also, distance between holes in the tail section is about 2" more than on my other set which mounts up ok. This is what made me thing it was 99-02 stuff...

If someone could give me a few measurements that for 99 R6 that I could use to verify...

·
Registered
487 Posts
That is definitely 2nd Gen not 1st. You can tell by the windshield and the the angle that the piece that would be the mid intersects the lower. The windshield on a 1st gen is flat across the leading edge while the 2nd gen comes to a point near the ram air intake. The mid piece on the 2nd Gen intersects the the lower at a very steep angle, coming in near the bottom front edge of the lower while the 1st Gen is much flatter. Yours is 03-05.

·
Track Junkie
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really weird that it would be that much "off" on mounting points... I guess I'll try make it work some other day, if not... maybe it will work for someone else.

·
My R6 eats chickenstrips
46 Posts
I wonder what kind of modifying it would take to make the 03-05 upper fairing to mate with the 01 mid fairing.... I've always liked how those 2nd gen uppers looked with those bad ass projector headlights.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts