Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 r6 with street plastics on right now. I have friends who have 06 r6 and I always looked at them and thought it was wired how my mirrors mounted different and the front fairing was different because I though all 06-07 parts are interchangeable. Knowing my bike is a 07 my friend and I did the BOGO deal with hotbodies. He got them and since he works in a body shop he painted them beautifully. We were planning on putting them on when we meet up at NCbike since he lives in VA and I live in SC. When I got there he started looking at my bike and I started looking at his when I noticed the same differences. I also noticed that my bike looked identical to my other friends 08 r6. We very quickly came to the realization that my 07 has 08-09 body work from the front fairing stay tank subframe everything but the frame clearly says it's a 07.

So now I need to know if any the parts on my bike will match up to my new track plastics. I know I need a new front fairing stay but will my 08-09 subframe tank seat fit with my 07 track plastics or do I need to buy new tank seat subframe as well?

My 07 is in the middle they buddies 08 on the left and the other 07 on the right.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,246 Posts
Just because it was built in 2007 doesn't mean it isn't an '08 model. They start building the next model year around August-September. The best way to tell if yours is an 08 is if it has the variable intake velocity stacks in the air box. There are also some differences in the frame that someone else might be able to better describe.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It says 09/06 and the title says 07 it's a 07

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The best way to tell if yours is an 08 is if it has the variable intake velocity stacks in the air box.
What do you mean by that? I opened the airbox up and the velocity stacks moved up and down is that what you're talking about?

·
Registered
287 Posts
if the frame says its an 07, its an 07 as far as the gov is concerned. is the tail supersport or superbike? supersport is unlikely to fit while superbike im sure can be made to fit.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
Sounds like someone rebuilt the bike, since the frames are identical they used what they could get, which was an 07. Title's belong with the frame numbers, so even though everything on the bike is 08, it's titled as an 07.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
6,246 Posts
Sounds like someone rebuilt the bike, since the frames are identical they used what they could get, which was an 07. Title's belong with the frame numbers, so even though everything on the bike is 08, it's titled as an 07.

^^This

What do you mean by that? I opened the airbox up and the velocity stacks moved up and down is that what you're talking about?
The stacks on an '07 won't move. '08 and up, the stacks raise up after a certain RPM to alter the air flow into the throttle bodies.

Sounds like you have an '07 frame on a newer bike...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well isn't that interesting I'm going to have to pull the fairings and check the numbers on the motor. I guess I can't really complain if it has a 08-09 engine in it. Anyone want to trade 06-07 track fairings for 08-09 track fairings? Lol

·
Pobrecitos
19,910 Posts

There is a slit on the 08 frame that allows it to flex more, so not entirely identical.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just thought of this but when I bought my Pc3 I bought one for a 06/07. It plugged right up. You think it's going to cause any problems being on a 08/09 motor?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts