Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Metal Millitia
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a bittersweet day. I traded in my 2010 R6 Raven that I bought brand new, she had 20k on her ODO. I bought a 2014 R1. I have to say that it was a great bike- never had any major issues with her. I'm going to miss her, and I recommended the R6 to anyone looking to buy a 600cc sportsbike. ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1407050243.719838.jpg
Here's my new R1
ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1407050346.990987.jpg

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
ಠ_ಠ
114 Posts
How was the jump from the R6 to the R1? R1 not as nimble? Way faster? I'm just looking into possibly doing the same thing next year.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Beautiful R1, I was told by the yamaha dealer both the r6 and r1 top out at about 187 miles and hour. The R1 will get you to that speed much quicker. I just bought an r6, found the height of the bike a bit overwhelming. I'm 5'8 with 30 inch waist seem. The r6 stands at 33.5" height. How tall is the R1? I plan to upgrade like yourself in about 4 years.

·
Metal Millitia
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How was the jump from the R6 to the R1? R1 not as nimble? Way faster? I'm just looking into possibly doing the same thing next year.

I had a 07 R6 which got totaled, then a friend lend me his 09 R1 for about 6 months, then I bought my last R6. The R1 has a lot more torque down low, it is wider, and it is heavier. The R6 feels more light while transitioning from side to side. Awesome bikes though. They say the R6 is the best track bike there is. I'm really happy with my purchase.

·
Metal Millitia
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Beautiful R1, I was told by the yamaha dealer both the r6 and r1 top out at about 187 miles and hour. The R1 will get you to that speed much quicker. I just bought an r6, found the height of the bike a bit overwhelming. I'm 5'8 with 30 inch waist seem. The r6 stands at 33.5" height. How tall is the R1? I plan to upgrade like yourself in about 4 years.

Thanks bro. I am really excited to own this bike, the color is sick.
I believe the R1 is about an inch shorter, which suits me fine. I am 5'6" and I rode my R6 at stock height no problem. I used only my left leg to stand at stops and to back it up if I didn't swivel it on the kick stand. I loved my R6, but I felt it was time to get an R1. The R1 is dope no doubt.

·
stuntin
738 Posts
I think all liter bikes are governed at 186 but the r6 is like 170 or something close. Not that it matters. Also a liter bike is a lot faster then a 600. Anyways congrats op on the r1.

·
I eat what my R6 cooks!
2,498 Posts
Only way you are going to get a 600 up to 185+ is if you are going downhill with a hell of a strong wind pushing you, or you have the bike built like a beast.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Lol! Yeah, I got that. Still the r6 is plenty fast for me. Not many roads I'd feel comfortable opening it up on. Then there's the cop thing to deal with. Seems like no matter where I go, there's one on every block. No tracks to go to where I live either. At least that I know of. Still this thread is not about me.
Enjoy the R1!

·
When in doubtThrottle out
5,059 Posts
I thought r6's topped out at like 155? Seems odd to me that a 600 and 1000 top at the same speed unless its all due to aerodynamics.

Grats on the bike though man!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
The r6 isn't governed so whatever your motor and gearing will let it get up to is the top speed, my race bike with a stock motor made it to 181 at RoadAmerica last year. If the r1 were electronically governed then yes, they could top out the same.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
The r6 isn't governed so whatever your motor and gearing will let it get up to is the top speed, my race bike with a stock motor made it to 181 at RoadAmerica last year. If the r1 were electronically governed then yes, they could top out the same.
On the speedo, or GPS?

·
Get Some..!
288 Posts
Wow that's fast......

·
Registered
11 Posts

Dang, that is fast. So I guess the dealer may have Overexaggerate a bit but the r6 has power. I believe I read on another thread bikes in the US are governed. Thanks for the information.:D

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
No way a stock R6 motor ever did a legit 181 MPH.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts