Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:roll:

My bike fell on top of me. I was using the balance-on-the-kickstand-and-rotate trick and the kickstand fell off the edge of the pavement into the dirt. It folded up and the bike threw me down on the ground and pinned me there. Minor cosmetic damage to the crankcase cover.

Okay, please make fun of me now. :tongue

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nah, I squirmed out on my own. :mrgreen:

I was just mad because my bike had no scratches yet. So I was trying to get up without letting any more of the bike touch the ground. I was releived to see that it was only the crankcase cover that got scratched. The plastics all look fine and the crankcase isn't scratched bad. I think I scratched my knee up some but I haven't looked at it yet.

Also, the bike was running when I did this and it shut off after about 5 seconds of being on the ground. Does the computer know when the bike is on it's side?

·
Registered
786 Posts
yea.... those things weigh a good amount.... I remember after my accident.... scrambling to get out from under my bike.... and my bike had never been down before that....so I had no concept of the weight.. so the first jerk to heave the bike up, failed... the 2nd.... the adrenaline kicked in. and I was like "holy shit I'm huge" even though I'm not haha....

No worries man.... shit happens!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I think when the bike is tipped over, the gas stops feeding through the combustion cambers so it shuts off. (just like running out of gas) I lay my bike down last week and it shut off by itself (i was also on the 120mile mark). When I pick the bike back up i had to let it settle for a min or so before it would start back up. It kinda scared me for a min when the bike didn't start.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
i dropped both bikes but i couldnt find myself jumping underneith the thing to save it, but it didn't seem that heavy when your like "AHHHHH" grab it by the tank squat and lift thats the easiest way..

don't believe me? go knock over your bike and pick it up
:cheers

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
There is a lean angle sensor thats part of the ECU that shuts off the bike (FI system relay) when its over a certain lean angle to prevent it from running when you bin it.

page 7-4 of the service manual.........

fault code = 30, 41
item = Lean Angle cut-off switch (latch up detected, 30) (open or short circuit, 41)
symptom = The motorcycle has overturned. Lean angle cutt-off switch open or short circuit detected.
fail safe action = Turns OFF the fuel injection system relay of the fuel system
engine startability = unable
vehicle driveability = unable

it should reset itself automatically when standing the bike upright. so if you ever see this fault code, you know something is hosed with your lean angle sensor.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
There is a lean angle sensor thats part of the ECU that shuts off the bike (FI system relay) when its over a certain lean angle to prevent it from running when you bin it.

page 7-4 of the service manual.........

fault code = 30, 41
item = Lean Angle cut-off switch (latch up detected, 30) (open or short circuit, 41)
symptom = The motorcycle has overturned. Lean angle cutt-off switch open or short circuit detected.
fail safe action = Turns OFF the fuel injection system relay of the fuel system
engine startability = unable
vehicle driveability = unable

it should reset itself automatically when standing the bike upright. so if you ever see this fault code, you know something is hosed with your lean angle sensor
That's excatly what happen to my bike when i layed it down.
Should've read the manual :hammer

1 - 12 of 12 Posts