Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which? I don't know shit about quads; all I've owned are dual cores.

I could get the HP quad edition for $92.46 less than the dual core edition (but is clocked at 2.5 with 3.1 boost, whereas the quads is 2.3 with 6mb L3 cache and was told could oc to 3.5).

Seems like a no brainer but still unsure about quad with lower clock speed, yes I probably won’t notice but I want know where I will tell the difference.

The quad, best bang for da buck?

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quad config:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]
FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
750GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
No additional security software
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 5.75 hours of battery life +++
17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
FREE Upgrade to Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
HP TrueVision HD Webcam
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad
Included 2 Year Warranty
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

Dual select config:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M Processor (2.5 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz)
NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory
FREE UPGRADE to 8GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
750GB 7200 rpm Hybrid Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
NO mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache
Microsoft(R) Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word/Excel(R) only, No PowerPoint(R)/Outlook(R)
No additional security software
6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery - Up to 5.75 hours of battery life +++
17.3-inch diagonal Full HD Anti-glare LED-backlit Display (1920 x 1080)
Blu-ray player & SuperMulti DVD burner
Included 2 Year Warranty
HP TrueVision HD Webcam
Intel 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
Backlit Keyboard with numeric keypad
HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I went ahead and just got the i7 package because it was cheaper, but in discussing this with my boss; clock speed doesn't really mean much today because there is still bus speed to consider.

Standard web, word, excel, with some minor picture and video editing (when i start tracking and getting into video)...

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
i7 hyper threading really shows off when you doing any type of photo and video editing. Also the odds are the i7 has a turbo boost too.

I normally try to push people to the 2.5ghz mark when buying a laptop, but 2.3 really isn't that bad. should be more then enough for every day word, web, email.

::edit:: just google that i7 cpu and here what they say about the turbo boost
Max Turbo Frequency 3.3 GHz

·
Registered
230 Posts
I went ahead and just got the i7 package because it was cheaper, but in discussing this with my boss; clock speed doesn't really mean much today because there is still bus speed to consider.
Front side bus is usually the bottleneck. You have to try and get everything to run at the right clock ratios for an optimal system. I don't remember the exact values. Check out overclock.net. Is this a laptop?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I wouldn't overclock the laptop unless you absolutely have to. It generates excess heat that stresses the components. The cooling system in laptops isn't very effective. If it were a desktop, cooling wouldn't be an issue since you can install a water-based system and use tons of fans.

A core is like an individual cpu. A dual-core clocked higher than a quad-core may perform faster in certain situations but can't process as much data simultaneously as a quad core. In most situations, you won't notice a difference until you use a cpu-intensive program such as a video encoder. Also, not all programs can utilize multi-core cpus.

L1, L2, and L3 cache are like super fast ram for the cpu. L1 is faster than L2 and L2 is faster than L3, which is way faster than ram. The more L1, L2, and L3 cache you have the better. The problem is it's very expensive to produce.

The best performance upgrade I've made to my system was a solid state drive. I've never used a hybrid drive but ssd is the way to go. Everything responds instantaneously from boot to apps. Most people just buy a small ssd and boot the os from it and use conventional hard drives in a raid configuration for data.

Aside from laptops, I wouldn't buy a computer from a manufacturer. If you can do maintenance on your bike, you could probably build a desktop. There are enough resources on the net to build a supercomputer if you wanted to. Start with a good motherboard and you could probably just upgrade components for the next ten years and still have a decent build.

·
Registered
28 Posts
They both have identical battery power and temperature at lazy, but the i7 will have higher temperature and power intake under fill.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wouldn't overclock the laptop unless you absolutely have to. It generates excess heat that stresses the components. The cooling system in laptops isn't very effective. If it were a desktop, cooling wouldn't be an issue since you can install a water-based system and use tons of fans.

A core is like an individual cpu. A dual-core clocked higher than a quad-core may perform faster in certain situations but can't process as much data simultaneously as a quad core. In most situations, you won't notice a difference until you use a cpu-intensive program such as a video encoder. Also, not all programs can utilize multi-core cpus.

L1, L2, and L3 cache are like super fast ram for the cpu. L1 is faster than L2 and L2 is faster than L3, which is way faster than ram. The more L1, L2, and L3 cache you have the better. The problem is it's very expensive to produce.

The best performance upgrade I've made to my system was a solid state drive. I've never used a hybrid drive but ssd is the way to go. Everything responds instantaneously from boot to apps. Most people just buy a small ssd and boot the os from it and use conventional hard drives in a raid configuration for data.

Aside from laptops, I wouldn't buy a computer from a manufacturer. If you can do maintenance on your bike, you could probably build a desktop. There are enough resources on the net to build a supercomputer if you wanted to. Start with a good motherboard and you could probably just upgrade components for the next ten years and still have a decent build.
I got the quad core setup above, it was cheaper and i dont think performance Will be that much different, all points you made above are totally valid and true...

I guess i was expecting too much from a laptop. I've already built a powerful desktop using two wd black 7200 rpm in raid 1 setup for a mirror fail safe, with 1tb 7200 for data and AMD 550 CASTILLO BLACK CPU (3.5). it was handle anything i throw at it and boot under 30 seconds.

·
Pobrecitos
19,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
come on johnny everyone knows quads are for girly girls...its all about two wheels, not four :nono

But on a serious note, its all about MAC. FTMFW nerd.
Well nice of to to say so but....
I know its all about me already, thanks...lol

You could pay for that over priced crap but not me, not a graphics designer so don't need a
Mac...

Nerd?...i wish, couldn't be further from the truth, my friend...lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts