Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Inhale Speed.Exhale Power
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Icon Domain2 Helmets, Leather TiMax2 Jacket, Long Timax Gloves & Field Armor Boots

So I crashed last week at over 90mph and I thought I would share how my Icon gear took the hit. The crash was a lowside with me doing several rollovers for a longdistance, 1/4 on asphalt and the rest on grass. Result we're a broken left collar bone as well as two HEAVILY sprained ankles, so heavy that my two feets are in a cast for 5 weeks.

The helmet is a Domain 2 Black Serpecant helmet, which I also had a dark smoke shield on. Fit is very good on the helmet, as is venting, but it is very big and a bit heavy. At high speeds I often wish I had a more aerodynamic helmet. When I crashed, the helmet did not take much of a hit, but still it fared ok. All the attached pieces got ripped off(but they are supposed to in a crash as far as I know), and it got scratched a lot, but other than that the helmet was in good condition after the crash.

The jacket is a Leather Timax2. It looks great, protection is pretty good and it has very good ventilation. The only downsides are that its on the heavy side and fit isnt so good. Also the straps that are made to attach to your belt is very cheap, the snaps broke after a few weeks of use. In the crash, the jacket took the hit very good, got damaged a lot on the left side where I fell, but that was to be expected since I took the weight of the bike on me and also with the speed I was going at.

The Gloves are my favorite, they look AWESOME, especially when riding, they feel great, great ventilation and everything. Only downside I would say is since they are pretty thick, you dont have a good "feel" of the levers, but its not that bad. In the crash they did not get damaged much and they did a great job of protecting my hands, also they stayed on my hands.

The boots, those we're my biggest disapointment. They look good, but fit and feel is horrible. You have absolutely ZERO feel of how and where your foot is on the footpeg, which is really bad when taking corners low and trying to adjust your feet on the pegs. But my biggest disapointment comes from the crash. Boots are supposed to hold your ankles to protect them in case of a crash, they did not do there job at all. The boots we're well tighetened and secured, yet, I have 2 heavily sprained ankles(both feets in casts for 5 weeks). IMO, this should not have happened.

Overall I would say Icon gear looks good, protects ok, but for someone who rides agressive, its not a good choice. Im buying new equipment soon and its definetely not going to be from Icon.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
Re: Icon Domain2 Helmets, Leather TiMax2 Jacket, Long Timax Gloves & Field Armor Boot

Glad you are ok for the most part man! Have any pictures of the aftermath? Both gear and bike?

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Re: Icon Domain2 Helmets, Leather TiMax2 Jacket, Long Timax Gloves & Field Armor Boot

Glad you are ok for the most part man! Have any pictures of the aftermath? Both gear and bike?
:stupic

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Here are some pics, sorry about the gear pics, I just took them with my cellphone so quality is shit.

The Bike(I thought it could be saved, but its totalled said the insurance guy, rolled over many times, it was 15 meters from my body at the crash).

Helmet

Jacket

Gloves

Boots

·
Jigga_R6 Is Tha Nayme!
3,243 Posts

wait they did a good job, but you wouldn't recommend? i have a timax 2 leather shouldi get another jacket???

·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

wait they did a good job, but you wouldn't recommend? i have a timax 2 leather shouldi get another jacket???
All did the good job, except the boots. I have both feets in special casts, the boots definetely did not do there job well IMO. And as I said in my first post, I do not recommend it for agressive riders like me. For going to the club or to work its ok, but the boots and gloves don't give much feel(in the case of the boots, no feel at all) and the helmet is a problem at high speeds. I would say the jacket was the best of all my equipment though, did a good job in the accident, but then again if it had REAL shoulder protection, maybe my collar bone would still be intact...

So IMO like I said, if you want to "look cool" and for casual riding in town, its a good choice. For fast rides in twisties and agressive riding, I say go for something else. I did a lot of research and just ordered a full set of Spidi gear last thursday :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts