Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyopne tried this vest? can you move in it? Better yet, has anyone wrecked with one on? I'm thinking about picking one up but $100 seems kinda cheap compared to Alpinestar and Joe Rocket equipment.

·
mine is better than yours
664 Posts
yeah, they work great...if you want road rash. i thought it was good enough back in my squidy days, and looked what happened:

now its leather, leather and more leather. oh, did i mention i wear LEATHER! do yourself a favor and get that idea outta your mind.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,308 Posts
I would look into it as a layer underneath the leather. Many trackday organizations are starting to require a chest protector these days, and the Icon Field Armor Vest has a chest protector and a back protector, so it could work out great in that aspect. I've been looking at them for a while now, but I haven't actually bought one yet.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I would look into it as a layer underneath the leather. Many trackday organizations are starting to require a chest protector these days, and the Icon Field Armor Vest has a chest protector and a back protector, so it could work out great in that aspect. I've been looking at them for a while now, but I haven't actually bought one yet.
+1 :werd

·
Registered
111 Posts
i never ride without it...but i wear it on top of my jacket. obviously wont protect your arms, but its for your chest/back. won't mess up your spine if you crash.

bought mine for about 100 as well...(looks badass by the way...but good luck explaining to non-bikers why you're wearing a bulletproof vest)

·
T-1 is my Hero
0 Posts
i never ride without it...but i wear it on top of my jacket. obviously wont protect your arms, but its for your chest/back. won't mess up your spine if you crash.

bought mine for about 100 as well...(looks badass by the way...but good luck explaining to non-bikers why you're wearing a bulletproof vest)
50 Cent? Is that you? :laugh

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it better than nothing? Sure.

Personally, I'd rather go with the best. As such, I've gone with Knox chest and back protectors. Much more expensive, but much better protection too. I know several people with the Icon, and they say it's fine, until you go down. Then they realize why it was only $100.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
obviously it aint going to protect your arms...its a vest...did you get any rash on your chest/back?

my lower back was slightly rashed, elbos and shoulders. the vest opened up when i fell. wuts the point of a vest... i doubt anyone will fall in the perfect position and land soley on there back and be un harmed elsewhere. pointless to have a vest , get a jacket.

·
Premium Member
1,065 Posts
I think these are meant to compliment a good quality riding jacket.. Not replace it. Invest some cash into a good jacket first. who gives a damn if its uncomfortable or hot... at least you get to keep your skin

·
Registered
209 Posts
So are people really thinking that this is an adequate form of protection for areas other than what is covered? If you wear a helmet and gloves, do you tell people not to use them because when you dropped your forearms got torn up?

I've messed around with vests in the store before and the greatest benefit I could think of would be if you hit something after a fall. The spine protector locks when bending backward which seems like it could prevent your spinal cord from snapping back if you hit a pole or guardrail. The chest protection would absorb a blow if your bike hit you after you slide or if you get catapulted into the back of a car and land on your chest. In any of those scenarios or something similar, it couldn't hurt to have extra protection, but like everyone repeatedly said before, it doesn't replace leathers.

On another note, I thought the full protector (like the A* bionic one in the link above) was intended to go under a jacket which would help any jacket be an armored jacket. Like if you want to impress a that cute asian chick or some other pair of tits by doing 12 o'clocks at 120 mph in a tuxedo, this would be better than tuxedo without armor. Complete protection? Not even close. But it can't hurt.

·
mine is better than yours
664 Posts
They guys I know that used the Icon vest in a crash had it on under their leather jackets. Both said that it really didn't provide much protection, and that they wished they had just bought something more robust.
ok...lemme put it this way instead. if this is going to be your only form of protection, its is pretty much useless. its like wearing a fire-proof vest into a burning building instead of a firesuit. now if its going to be ADDED with a jacket then yes, it is a good investment. but do to this comment

I'm thinking about picking one up but $100 seems kinda cheap compared to Alpinestar and Joe Rocket equipment.
it seems he wants this as his only protection.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Just tell em its for when u rob banks and the police are shooting at you. Then you can blame it all on grand theft auto 4 and get away with everything.

No but really i have been thinking about one of these. and then i just tell myself my jacket is safer and put the money towards something fun for my bike

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the info. What I was thinking was this:
Get the vest, wear it under a jacket for now. Then go to a shop in a major city and try on several suits. I live in a tiny little town in east Texas so everything I get has to be thru the mail unless I drive/ride 120mi (one way) to Dallas.

What I wanted to know, though I could've been more clear, was if it was a $100 T-shirt or a good piece of equipment. I'm going to order one and wear it for now.

·
My other bike has 6wheels
125 Posts
I'm thinking about picking the Icon Field Armor Vest up also so I could wear it under my leathers, especially for some track days. Is it somewhat low-profile.....would it fit under your leathers similar to wearing a heavy sweatshirt?

·
Registered
394 Posts
On another note, I thought the full protector (like the A* bionic one in the link above) was intended to go under a jacket which would help any jacket be an armored jacket. Like if you want to impress a that cute asian chick or some other pair of tits by doing 12 o'clocks at 120 mph in a tuxedo, this would be better than tuxedo without armor. Complete protection? Not even close. But it can't hurt.
That does make sense...esp if you want to wear just a sweatshirt or something. I wear the A* Bionic Two by itself (t-shirt underneath of course :D). I feel it will adequately protect all the parts that will be subject to road rash. Full forearm protection, elbow, shoulder, chest, and back. I'm just not so sure the mesh part will hold up though...that's the only uncertainty...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.