Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a little help! I have a 2004 R6 and sometimes it won't stay idling. When it does that I pull the clutch in and it dies right away but it starts right back up but won't idle. I tried turning the key off and back on when it does it and then it seams to reset something and will idle again, but it still idles real low and cut outs when I take off. I'm thinking the TPS. Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have the same problem with an 05. When its in neutral it idles really low. When im riding and im pulling up to a light and i downshift in to first it dies. Im taking it in to a dealership on Wednsday so ill let you know if they figure it out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I heard back from the dealership and my problem was there was too much oil in the engine. A friend who has a older r6 and has been riding a long time looked at my oil and said it looked a half a quart low. I added some later that night. I guess he didnt take into account my bike had been sitting there all day. Im happy it wasnt something really wrong with the bike but it was a nice little 80 dollar lesson.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I recently did an oil change on my bike and put the recommended amount of oil with the AMS Oil and I thought it was too much. When I took the oil cap off it was all the way to the top of the cap. I am going to drain a little bit out and see what happens. I don't understand how that would effect the idle but I will let you know it works. They are so fined tuned and touchy I qgess every little thing makes adifference. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What do you think about the throttle positioning sensor being bad?
That is a possible, could be spark plugs, engine coils or the ecu. I looked around in quite a few threads around here and these were some of the common causes of the stalling problem. I got my bike back earlier today and once they drained the excess oil it ran smooth no stalling whatsoever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts