Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got a tuneup on my 00 R6. The ideal idle is around 1000 rpm, Correct me if I am wrong but my bikes idle keeps alternating between 1000k and 2500k rpm. Do any of you know if there is a way to solve this problem, the cause or is it not a big deal. It just seems annoying for me to be at a light and my bike starts getting loud for no apparent reason. Any help would be appreciated.

Also brought home my brothers 04 last night black and red. That bike is serious. The gixxer has nothing on the 6.

·
Registered
95 Posts
does this only happen when your bike warms up? Like...when your bike is cold..the idle stays at about 1000 rpm but when it warms up, it starts goin up to 2500 rpm? if so.. just adjust your idle. the idle screw is on the right...right below the gastank.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Adjust the idle to around 1200rpm's when engine is warmed up.

Also, who did the tune-up, and what did they do?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like for instance yesterday i rode for a half hour bike temp read 186 degrees bike goes up to 2500 rpm for about 10-15 seconds and goes back down to normal idle. Could it be a problem with the throttle cable?
or the fan coming on but I can't see the fan coming on at 186 degrees.

As far as the tuneup, Spark Plugs, Change the fluids, clean air filter, regular tune up stuff.

Any other suggestions.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
OK, I don't know much about carbs except that they feed air/fuel to your engine but it sounds like maybe something is wrong with the idler circuit or choke or something? I know on FI engines (cars anyways), this kind of thing can happen when the Throttle Position Sensor goes out of whack.

Just throwin some ideas out there that might jog someones thought process....

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've had this exact same problem before..people told me that my valves were out of sync..or i need to get it rejetted.. But actually, it was just the idle was too high. did you already adjust your idle like redline said?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah.......first set your idle like I mentioned.

Also......is this a totally inconsistent problem? Like it will sometimes "rarely" idle up like that, or is it a "does it more often than not" problem?

What you need to do is see if you have any air leaks. Irradic hight idleing is either a ...........
carb synch problem
lean condition (which would be almost always consisten)
or a an air leak........which I'm thinking.

If it is an air leak, its ALMOST a sealed lead meaning that is sealing most of the time, but occassionally getting extra air causing a higher idle.

To determine if it is an air leak.....spray some carb cleaner around the carb intake boots (between the carbs and cylinders) if you notice a change in idle while spraying......you know it's cause its sucking the carb cleaner into the cylinder in that area. If so......try tightening the clamps etc to get a better seal.

FYI.......your carbs should be correctly synched prior, you should have good spark plugs and getting good spark from ignition system. (If you paid for a tune-up you should be fine with this stuff)

One sign of unsynched carbs......If you are at idle in neutral and give a twist of throtte the rpms will climb......if when you let off the throttle the tach or rpms "hang" or drop slowly or hold in certain areas....you most likely have a synch problem......if correct carb synch does nothing afterwards........you most likely have a lean problem.

When was the last time the carbs were cleaned......are the pilot jets plugged at all?

Does it have good premium gas?

Lots of things...........

Answer as much of this as possible, but first, let it warm up, adjust the idle and see it that cures it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Pardon any misspelling or anything that seems hard to understand english form.......PWD here. Sorry.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ok also another thought.......I did mention above that you should be getting correct ignition spark etc.... Ignition coil failure is common with many bikes. You could have a coil that is failing almost to point of inoperation but occasionally allowing fire.....Which if your bike has seemed to run fine previously, you wont notice much difference if one cylinder is misfiring during high rpm's (these engines make alot of horse running on 3 cylinders also). Your higher idle could be a result of a failing coil occasionally firing also.

Just.....stuff like this can be easy to diagnose (in the HANDS of a GOOD tech) or can be a pain in the ass for alot of other techs. This particular situation is or can be a pain in the ass for any tech over the net without being able to test etc....himself. Simply a trial error situation by rules of a experienced person trying to explain........hope i have been or can be of help.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help I will go home and try a couple of the things you guys pointed out. And let you know what happened.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts